Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 PM

566 posts, read 2,059,235 times

Advertisements

Vpcats, you don't have to thank me - this is stuff elementary kids should know.
My family has been here for centuries. I know what the Cuban people have done for Miami and it has been a definite economic plus as this was a sleepy place, just over 100 yrs ago here this was quite deserted, full of Guavas, pineapples, mangos, avocado, citrus trees. Kids had to walk miles, yes here in the Gables, to go to school. As a matter of fact the Cuban people didn't start with the Castro fiasco, they have been coming and going for a long, long time. Though, before they really never had a need to come here as they had everything and were quite content and even at a time more socially advanced than even Miam-uhh...this was not even close to what we see today. Most people didn't want to live here in this so called swamp mosquito infested land and at a time land was practically free. Folks here loved to go visit Cuba, they thought it was a tropical exotic paradise - even their accents were thought to be romantic.... Funny how perceptions change.
Well, fast forward to today after the Castro thug fiasco...what I see here now is that after the first of wave of Cuban refugees and their spanish was introduced permanently, is that it comfortably opened up the doors to Latin America and now they are all being confused with the vast majority of spanish speakers in the U.S. Most don't know that Cubans are a whole different ballgame - the majority never have even collected welfare as most see it as demeaning and takes away from their pride & they are a proudful bunch. I also am witnessing the unfair judgement or might I say even say envy of other minority spanish speaking groups (other groups as well) here due to the unique political stance the Cubans have - all are trying to take their credit away after all they've done to make Miami what it is today. They think I don't understand spanish, but I hear critisim all the time & it's quite unfair & cruel... afterall most wouldn't even be here or have the jobs they have if it weren't for them (almost like biting the hand that feeds you), plus they don't even have to speak English now. I'd force English on them so fast, it would make their head spin. I don't know but I sometimes think of the Cubans not at as group or a culture but as a race & no matter where they go, even the president of the coca-cola, Cubans in congress, etc. will alway be envied. But you know when people are talked about even if it's bad, it's a good thing...they are being noticed, it's when people ignore you that one has to worry.
Anyhow, don't fret....me, and lots of my friends that are not Cuban will be joining in the celebration and in my opinion that is way, way overdue. And if there's no county money, no problem I'm sure most either have some or will find a way to find it...just let everyone know where the baskets will be at to donate.
And don't feel bad, I too am very happy that Hitler is way gone - lasted too long if you ask me as most in the world wouldn't move quick enough and sadly way too many Jews had to die cruely. Yep, I'm happy that Saddam is gone...wished that the North Korean guy with the bouffant hairdo & dorky glasses diseappears into thin air, can't wait for Osama to be found after what he did on 9-11, oh but I guess I shouldn't feel that way? and yes I will party for any human group that is has suffered inhumanities and are happy to free themselves from any shackles... here, there and everywhere in the world!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
My family has been here for centuries. I know what the Cuban people have done for Miami and it has been a definite economic plus as this was a sleepy place, just over 100 yrs ago here this was quite deserted, full of Guavas, pineapples, mangos, avocado, citrus trees. Kids had to walk miles, yes here in the Gables, to go to school. As a matter of fact the Cuban people didn't start with the Castro fiasco, they have been coming and going for a long, long time. Though, before they really never had a need to come here as they had everything and were quite content and even at a time more socially advanced than even Miam-uhh...this was not even close to what we see today. Most people didn't want to live here in this so called swamp mosquito infested land and at a time land was practically free. Folks here loved to go visit Cuba, they thought it was a tropical exotic paradise - even their accents were thought to be romantic.... Funny how perceptions change.
Well, fast forward to today after the Castro thug fiasco...what I see here now is that after the first of wave of Cuban refugees and their spanish was introduced permanently, is that it comfortably opened up the doors to Latin America and now they are all being confused with the vast majority of spanish speakers in the U.S. Most don't know that Cubans are a whole different ballgame - the majority never have even collected welfare as most see it as demeaning and takes away from their pride & they are a proudful bunch. I also am witnessing the unfair judgement or might I say even say envy of other minority spanish speaking groups (other groups as well) here due to the unique political stance the Cubans have - all are trying to take their credit away after all they've done to make Miami what it is today. They think I don't understand spanish, but I hear critisim all the time & it's quite unfair & cruel... afterall most wouldn't even be here or have the jobs they have if it weren't for them (almost like biting the hand that feeds you), plus they don't even have to speak English now. I'd force English on them so fast, it would make their head spin. I don't know but I sometimes think of the Cubans not at as group or a culture but as a race & no matter where they go, even the president of the coca-cola, Cubans in congress, etc. will alway be envied. But you know when people are talked about even if it's bad, it's a good thing...they are being noticed, it's when people ignore you that one has to worry.
Anyhow, don't fret....me, and lots of my friends that are not Cuban will be joining in the celebration and in my opinion that is way, way overdue. And if there's no county money, no problem I'm sure most either have some or will find a way to find it...just let everyone know where the baskets will be at to donate.
And don't feel bad, I too am very happy that Hitler is way gone - lasted too long if you ask me as most in the world wouldn't move quick enough and sadly way too many Jews had to die cruely. Yep, I'm happy that Saddam is gone...wished that the North Korean guy with the bouffant hairdo & dorky glasses diseappears into thin air, can't wait for Osama to be found after what he did on 9-11, oh but I guess I shouldn't feel that way? and yes I will party for any human group that is has suffered inhumanities and are happy to free themselves from any shackles... here, there and everywhere in the world!
Very, very eloquently said.
Great minds think alike I told you we might even be related! Geezzz and you're not even Cuban

Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times
the cubans couldve never built the overseas highway on their own
flagler was american

"full of Guavas, pineapples, mangos, avocado, citrus trees"

thats the way it shouldve stayed instead of turning into the dirty city of concrete its becoming. i moved away from LA to get away from the dirty concrete but here you have all these people wanting to pave their lawns and cut down the trees.

america is abandoning miami as is shown by the people moving out.
if they can become a real world class city on their own without outside investment i will hand it to them but i dont see the work ethic here capable of supporting that.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 PM

942 posts, read 2,584,132 times
Default LA awaits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
the cubans couldve never built the overseas highway on their own
flagler was american

"full of Guavas, pineapples, mangos, avocado, citrus trees"

thats the way it shouldve stayed instead of turning into the dirty city of concrete its becoming. i moved away from LA to get away from the dirty concrete but here you have all these people wanting to pave their lawns and cut down the trees.

america is abandoning miami as is shown by the people moving out.
if they can become a real world class city on their own without outside investment i will hand it to them but i dont see the work ethic here capable of supporting that.
Cixel what are you still doing here???? LA is screamming, waiting for you. Aren't you homesick yet???

Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM

942 posts, read 2,584,132 times
Talking I second that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
LUlu, wow you saved me so much time and typing. Wow I love you I couldn't have said it better!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM

26 posts, read 126,709 times
This is disgusting. It's one thing to be relieved that the country is free of an evil communist dictator (though his brother also seems to fit the description). We all hate him and want Cuba to recover from the damage he has caused, but a public, government sponsored celebration of his death? Let people do what they want in their houses and the streets and what have you. But for a city government to actually plan a party that celebrates someones death is completely absurd. I can't believe that's even legal. It's thing like this that make Miami Cubans look like a bunch of crazy people. I know that the rest of us Cuban-Americans can't imagine what they're thinking sometimes.

Last edited by JR86; 01-29-2007 at 10:46 PM..

Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 PM

155 posts, read 285,079 times
Quote:
i didnt think it was reason for celebration with saddam, i certainly dont think theres a reason for celebration with castro.
celebrating someones death is just asking for something bad to happen to you. its like wishing bad things on someone.
people need to be more humble and reserved.
pride and arrogance will come back to get you.
simply put, its gloating and its wrong
You know, when Saddam was killed, there was a joyful party in the streets of Iraq. These people were oppressed by Saddam for many years.

The Castro thing is the same issue. Do you think people back in the 1960's would really start hopping on basksts to come here if Castro was such a nice guy as the media tries to portray him?? Come on now...

Fidel Castro is an animal who has tortured people for merely protesting something he did. He has stolen homes form people and out them on the street as part of "income division". He has bankrupt a beautiful country.... have any one of you seen the movie "The Lost City"?

The same thing will happen when the "president" of Iran dies. People will be happy. There won't be a party for it, but I bet tons of people will be happy. I, for one, will have a nice patriotic barbecue when Osama Bin Laden dies or is killed. After that I will buy 2 or 3 targets with his picture on it and will blast them away with a 12 gauge shotgun! heh

Just a thought for you: If you had been oppressed by an animal like Fidel, you would be celebrating his death down in Miami. But because you were born here, never had to deal with a brutal communist dictator, you don't know the anger of being tortured yourself or having family members undergo torture. I am happy people are celebrating his death. I bet he is sitting on his bed watching the party being set-up, thining for once WHY people despise him that much... and realizing he is nothing but a true evil tyrant.

You know, it's nice to know there is a Hell and that Fidel has a condo in front of the lava pit waiting for him. He is going to Hell so fast, you might think he is riding a Bullet Train!!

Last edited by MaryLou2007; 01-29-2007 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,402,482 times
When Saddam was executed, I was glad for his victims. I didn't jump up for joy or take to the streets like some muslims did in Dearborn, MI. I could understand that people don't understand how a city could sponser someone's death. I think that the city feels that they could contain the people to an area and have more control. I don't think that it will be the case. I'm sure that that day will be a nightmare. There are too many idiot's here (all races and cultures) that will take advantage and use this event to cause chaios. I think that Miami is going to sponser this event also because of the amount of Cubans that reside here. For example, if there was a city with a majority of orange people and the orange people's dictator which caused as many heartaches as Castro died, that city may also set something up similar to what Miami is doing. I think that if the tables were turned and these people that are on here were forced out of their country and had to undergo what the Cubans went through, they too would be celebrating. Unfortunately, this has caused some controversy and people's true colors are coming out. It's pretty sad. Good luck to all.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:00 AM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times
confused and relocating, unfortunately im trapped in this madhouse until i have enough money to move.

i agree jr86

"If you had been oppressed by an animal like Fidel, you would be celebrating his death down in Miami."

im hugely anti-bush but if someone took him out tomorrow i wouldnt be happy about it.

celebrating someones death is in ridiculously poor taste. its gloating - thats exactly what it is and gloating is wrong.

you guys do whatever you want but it will only make the country think worse of you for it.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
confused and relocating, unfortunately im trapped in this madhouse until i have enough money to move.

i agree jr86

"If you had been oppressed by an animal like Fidel, you would be celebrating his death down in Miami."

im hugely anti-bush but if someone took him out tomorrow i wouldnt be happy about it.

celebrating someones death is in ridiculously poor taste. its gloating - thats exactly what it is and gloating is wrong.

you guys do whatever you want but it will only make the country think worse of you for it.
CiXel you can not, simply can not compare. You (probably) have no idea what it means to most Cubans that this thing is finally going to disappear from this earth. You complain about the rudeness in Miami, the drivers, can't get a decent job, can't do this, can't do that. You have nothing to complain about really. But if you were in Cuba, you would have been shot in front of a firing squad for less than this. Unfortunately, there are millions of Cubans now who were born in the last 50 years and don't know much more than Castro's Cuba but we will all help them wake up soon. I hope you know that there are many Cubans, and others, who are ready to rebuild that island from the first stone onward. There are plenty of people with the brains and the means to do it. The USA will be the first to want to make Cuba a free country. The only thing I never understood is why the USA didn't just blast the guy back in the 60's. Kennedy screwed up everything. He chickened out and here we are now and no other president has ever wanted to touch Cuba. Why? We go butt in everywhere else!
You wouldn't have had to deal with all those Cubans.

As far as whether the government sponsors this Orange Bowl thing or not, come on. Do you really think it matters? Our tax money, MY money goes to support every other ridiculous program and war this country decides to get into. Every road, every school, every city lightbulb. When you come down to it, even if the gov't didn't pay for ANY thing, it would still happen. Besides, they all feel guilty for not having stepped up to the plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies