Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times

Advertisements

The Jewish, Asians and whites...very admirable for hard work and accomplishments in technology era.

I am not very clear about this specific delineation: I am sure there are White/Anglo Jewish people; Asian Jewish people, Judaism is a religion...it is a practice...is a 'way of life'...not much different than Italian (Catholic) or Irish (Catholic) or ..... if one is speaking about Jews, it needs to be in the context of religion, religious practices .. I would think if someone asked someone if they were "a Jew" the first thing they might respond with is "I am German" or I am Austrian, or I am American...but if you are asking me what my religion is, I am Jewish."

If someone looks at Italians or the Irish, they will probably assume, yup, they are Catholics; if someone looks at an Asian, they are going to say, yup, they are Buddhist...we have a tendency to stereotype and presume a great deal...and associate certain groups, ethnic, nationality-wise and the like and we are not always correct.

So, I think it might be helpful to recognize those of the Jewish faith, and those of the Asian nationalities and those of....have certain beliefs and convictions and move forward with those convictions...and you know what...anyone can do the same whether they are Eskimo or not...

Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Jews do not "control" the media in a monolithic sense or a conspiratorial sense. But Jews are numerically prominent enough that a person who takes a persistently anti-Israeli or anti-Zionist line, or a line critical of such Jewish influence as does exist, is likely to find himself ostracized or defamed as an anti-Semite. Pat Buchanan and Joseph Sobran are two excellent columnists and authors who were given the "anti-Semite" treatment. Buchanan's career in major journalism survived, Sobran's didn't. That has little to do with the fact that they are Jewish, and a lot to do with the fact that they can get away with it. Ukrainians or Laotians would do the same thing if they were in positions of prominence in the media.

Ben Stein wrote an article about ten years ago that I haven't been able to locate, but he basically said "Yeah, Jews are overwhelmingly dominant in the media, but so what? There's nothing wrong with it." I basically feel the same way, but with the caveat that you can't expect a fair and balanced view of a group that is so overwhelmingly dominant, or a fair and balanced view of its adversaries.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:56 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Sorry, the above para 1 sentence 5 should've read "That has little to do with the fact that their critics in the media were Jewish, as such..."

Old 11-23-2008, 06:31 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
to sugarmaple, i believe most jews do classify themselves as jews not polish/german/russian. Like on Israeli money, they have einstein on a bill (not sure how much). But he had no ties to israel when he was alive to my knowledge: he was born in germany and then he lived in NEw JErsey. They put him on the bill cause he was a jew that was an amazing scientist.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
to sugarmaple, i believe most jews do classify themselves as jews not polish/german/russian. Like on Israeli money, they have einstein on a bill (not sure how much). But he had no ties to israel when he was alive to my knowledge: he was born in germany and then he lived in NEw JErsey. They put him on the bill cause he was a jew that was an amazing scientist.
I call myself a Slavic Jew, or sometimes get more specific with "Ukrainian & Polish Jew." All are equally a part of me, and Judaism is much more than a religion... I am religiously more of an Atheist, and yet I still identify as fully Jewish.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post

I am not very clear about this specific delineation: I am sure there are White/Anglo Jewish people;
I agree with most of your post, but this combination - Anglo/Jewish - doesn't seem possible. Wouldn't that be a contradiction, since "Anglo" implies Anglo-Saxon which is based in Christianity?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
If the Jews and the Pro-Israel lobby controls the world and America, then why did Obama (the most anti-Israel President in decades) win?
Obama's chief of staff's father comes from Israel.lol

Get real Happy Cells.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Jews do not "control" the media in a monolithic sense or a conspiratorial sense. But Jews are numerically prominent enough that a person who takes a persistently anti-Israeli or anti-Zionist line, or a line critical of such Jewish influence as does exist, is likely to find himself ostracized or defamed as an anti-Semite. Pat Buchanan and Joseph Sobran are two excellent columnists and authors who were given the "anti-Semite" treatment. Buchanan's career in major journalism survived, Sobran's didn't. That has little to do with the fact that they are Jewish, and a lot to do with the fact that they can get away with it. Ukrainians or Laotians would do the same thing if they were in positions of prominence in the media.

Ben Stein wrote an article about ten years ago that I haven't been able to locate, but he basically said "Yeah, Jews are overwhelmingly dominant in the media, but so what? There's nothing wrong with it." I basically feel the same way, but with the caveat that you can't expect a fair and balanced view of a group that is so overwhelmingly dominant, or a fair and balanced view of its adversaries.
shouldnt americans be more dominant that ppl from other countries?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I call myself a Slavic Jew, or sometimes get more specific with "Ukrainian & Polish Jew." All are equally a part of me, and Judaism is much more than a religion... I am religiously more of an Atheist, and yet I still identify as fully Jewish.
doesnt make a lick a sense either, how can you be jewish and not religous.
i never heard of a secular muslim and how can jews be more than religion when there have always been arab jews in the middle east(asia) who are more semitic than european looking jews?

a teacher i know says shes jewish but not religions it make no sense to me. i also hear the term jew come from people in eastern europe who made jewerly

Old 11-23-2008, 10:42 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
They do control the diamond/jewelry industries and are well represented in the movie and TV industries, and other businesses. A lot of us could take some pointers on the way the Jews have supported each other through the generations, are well educated, and have family unity.
I think this is because of the homogenousness of the jewish culture. Jews tend to marry jews which promotes like beliefs and unity of purpose. And, not that I know too many jewish people, but I've never met a dumb one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies