Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
So, magically at age 18, a person is capable of caring for a child? I don't think so. My kids were planned, and I was married, and 30 years old, and it turned my life upside down! 17 is too young to have a baby. Only the GOP could spin this into a good thing by talking about how wonderful it is that she's keeping the baby. And her mom is "proud". Give me a break. You know she's mortified and embarrassed.
No, the worst thing you can do is cover a mistake with another mistake. Those kids should be encouraged NOT to marry. Life is complex and it takes a long time for your personality to settle in. These kids should not be pregnant, but they should certainly not complicate that by setting themselves up to also have a divorce on their records.
I know that would not look good for Palin's career, but we must really be putting our kids first.
I also do not like the way she knowingly had her special needs child and three days later abandoned it and was back in work. If you choose to have a child who requires special attention you don't leave it at home for your other children to take care of.
I thought the right to life movement was about responsibility and rearing good morally upright citizens, but I guess it is just about reproduction.
Special needs kids do best with the constant attention of one person who they trust. This kid, by her own admission, is being passed from one relative to another.
Sad, what unbridled ambition does.
And now we see that she's fired all these people.
The woman is just awful.
No wonder her husband and one of her kids refuses to become Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 PM

125 posts, read 381,133 times
18, 17, 15 whatever! The Fact is Teens have sex- not all and not because they don't have morals or other ethical standards but because they are human. LIke all of us, life hands each and everyone of us trials we must face in our daily lives, some as teens become pregnant- irresponsible, maybe, but not always. I'll give you my story - my daughter is 15 and pregnant - every opportunity was made to educate her on sex, she used a condom ( another fact - condoms break!) Whatever the reason, it happens we cannot ignore it, we don't have to like it, we don't have to want to help - but when your child is in the situation you will see life differently!!! Choice is there - abortion, adoption or raising the child - all avenues must be explored. They may not be what you would choose or want. In our case, my daughter chose to keep the baby, and we are doing everything in our power to educate and support her in her decision so that she may be the best parent she can possibly be in the situation she is in. Condoning or condeming is your choice. Walk a mile in my shoes or hers and you will surely see life differently.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Where does it stop?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 AM

125 posts, read 381,133 times
It doesn't stop! We need to Face it! and deal with the facts! It can be reduced through education programs etc. yes - society needs to continue with those programs they are a good thing. But teens will still have sex and some will still get pregnant! But once it happens nothing is gained by punishment and condemnation. It needs to be dealt with on a fundamental, safe and secure way that benefits the teen mom and su[pports her in her decision. Turning our backs or not allowing for some help doesn't benefit anyone. Whatever happen to the Golden Rule? - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." It is the easiest rule to live by and benefits all.

Last edited by refade; 10-24-2008 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 09:47 AM

47 posts, read 138,111 times
I think that the number of high-profile and public teen pregnancies have made it seem that there is less of a stigma toward the young people involved. But for me, the stigma is about the failure of parents and churches and schools to instill in our teens a respect for the sacredness of sexual activity and the responsibility to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and STD's through the use of condoms and other birth control measures. My negative judgment falls on their parents and on public pressures for "abstinence only" education. First, we should discourage casual sexual activity. However, some teens will still be sexually active and they MUST have good information and good access to contraception. Just say no obviously isn't cutting it!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I had sex when I was a teenager. When I was 15 I made the conscious decision to go on birth control when I was still a virgin because of what MIGHT happen. In addition to that, I used condoms along with my birth control until I was in a stable relationship (nearly 6 years strong ) I received nearly zero sex ed in high school (except the 'sign this form to promise to stay a virgin, or else you'll get diseased and die!!') and pregnancy was considered the 'cool thing to do' at my hs. So many gals were pregnant, it was sick. They were so excited to have a baby so they could dress it up and name is some ridiculous name (like Sterling, or Cupie, or Mary Jane... for pot, not from spiderman.. these were actual names) . I saw this stuff and vowed that I would NEVER have a child until I was ready.

So far, so good. Luckily for me, my family isn't scared of talking about sex, or bc or condoms etc. Many people I knew were afraid or embarassed to speak of sex around their parents, or adults of any kind. So instead of getting the correct protection, they just crossed their fingers and hoped not to get pregnant. I made SURE my little sister knew how to get proper bc and condoms etc. and that she knew the consequences, now my brother is 16 and I am doing the same to him. He knows he can come to me or my parents and ask questions without being embarassed. Maybe that's what's wrong, kids are scared and their peers definitely aren't the ones to go to for advice.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
What consenting, sexually mature people do in private is none of my business, so whether or not I'm "comfy" with that is quite irrelevant.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I don't think teen pregnancy should be accepted but I don't think we should outright shun teen parents.
We should invest more in educating teens about the negative effects a pregnancy will have on their lives.
I support teens learning about abstinence and contraception in the event they might choose to have sex. I also support teens having more access to condoms, birth control, IUDs, vasectomies ( a lot easier to reverse than sterilization for women), and etc.
I think the country will save more in the long run by subsidizing birth control, condoms, IUDs, vasectomies, diaphrams, etc than investing in abstinence only programs.

I think it's great that some kids want to wait to have sex but almost half, if not half, of teens do have sex. They should be informed.
The last thing we want is what's happening at that school in Missouri where kids are getting tested for AIDS.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Teen Sexuality and Pregnancy

Price Tag of Teen Pregnancy (http://www.ampartnership.org/PriceTagofTeenPregnancy.asp - broken link)

Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
The OP seems to imply that teen = irresponsible and adult = responsible.

If we are not to "accept" teen pregnancy, are we to also not "accept" pregnancies by adults who are in a poor position to raise children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies