Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
1) The Wonder Bread bake-off

2) Potato mashing competition

3) The Great Cauliflower Pick-Off

4) Mayonaisse spread-a-thon
LOL... don't forget the Saltine cracker-toss.

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Old 02-07-2007, 09:20 AM

146 posts, read 572,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishan View Post
Washington's birthday is still celebrated. Even though many now refer to the holiday as Presidents Day, it is still legally called Washington's Birthday.

So I'm not sure where you got that idea from.
Wrong. Martin Luther King Jr Day is celebrated instead. President's Day (or Washington's Birthday) is not celebrated. It is not celebrated. Schools remain open, nothing's closed and no snippets of fabulous American Presidents dominate the networks.

Instead of calling an issue you disagree with "boring", open your eyes to the racism against whites in the US.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:05 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
My school system is out for President's day...it's next Monday I think. Post Offices and other government offices are closed. Banks aren't open. Sounds like a federal holiday to me...I for one won't EVER argue a free day from work. Relax and enjoy it.

We all know who George Washington was and the contributions he made. We learn it and learn it and learn it in school and we absorb it from all around us. He is honored and admired as a historical figure. On the other hand, MLK was murdered in the very recent past and is a symbol/martyr for civil rights. Of course a memorial holiday for him will be controversial because people remember him as either:

a corageous leader and eloquent speaker; a catalyst for social change; a symbol of hope, peace, tolerance, and inspiration.
-or-
a despised villian who caused problems for America.

Either way, people remember him...so it will be debated for a few more years until my generation is gone and maybe one more after that, then it will just be a day off work because it's the birthday of a famous person in history.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Wrong. Martin Luther King Jr Day is celebrated instead. President's Day (or Washington's Birthday) is not celebrated. It is not celebrated. Schools remain open, nothing's closed and no snippets of fabulous American Presidents dominate the networks.

Instead of calling an issue you disagree with "boring", open your eyes to the racism against whites in the US.
They might not all be official federal holidays, but Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, AND President's Day are all listed on the calendars... and as a government employee, I get the day off for President's - so you're wrong, things are closed! Since we get one day for MLK and one for the white president, wouldn't that be considered equal???

P.S. I just saw that our main library branch is also closed on Gay Pride Day... (probably because the parade goes right past)

Old 02-07-2007, 11:17 AM

In case you don't believe me...
http://sfpl.org/librarylocations/hours.htm#holidays

Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 PM

172 posts, read 309,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post

The more you post the more I'm convinced you are some form of bot.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
What's a bot? And where do they come from?

Quote:

Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 PM

172 posts, read 309,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
What's a bot? And where do they come from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
What an interesting idea!

Quote:

Old 02-07-2007, 03:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Bot- that's funny!

Our schools and banks are closed, as well. Where do you live, English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies