Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, please keep your immigration comments out of this thread... second of all, you've said many things beyond "anti-Israel" rants, which suggest you have some prejudiced views. The mere fact that I expected a post like this from you (on this thread), should say something. But there is a big difference between Israel and Jews around the world, which is a distinction many have trouble with - that's why we got so much crap after 9/11. I've been to Israel, but otherwise have no REAL connection with it... and while I do support the state of Israel & the Israeli people, I too disagree with many of their government's actions/policies. Anyway, this shouldn't be a thread about the Middle-east, and certainly not about immigration either! Let's try to focus on Wiesel, and how we can fight against anti-Semites such as his attacker.
I like it when you get commanding at last! Normally I see your "diplomacy" on full blast and I think...c'mon girl! No tenterhooks! It's good to see that you do have ammo and are willing to take a clear stand to challenge a poster with whom you disagree at times.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I like it when you get commanding at last! Normally I see your "diplomacy" on full blast and I think...c'mon girl! No tenterhooks! It's good to see that you do have ammo and are willing to take a clear stand to challenge a poster with whom you disagree at times.
LOL... the funny thing is, I'm much more blunt & "aggressive" in person (whereas most are the opposite). It's just hard to be that direct online, because it's inevitable that somebody will take offense, and/or try to pick apart my words in a negative way. But when I feel this strongly about something, the gloves are coming off!!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Yes, he was grabbed in the hallway of a hotel. Before any serious damage, he apparently fended off the attacker, screaming! Then called the local police.

I've seen him at Smith College; he is tough so I'm sure he'll make it down your way come March.
Yes, I have no doubt he'll continue his fight against intolerance... considering what he's already survived in life, this shouldn't slow him down a bit. But he also won't let it slip by unnoticed, and hopefully will get a chance to face his attacker.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:34 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I am relieved he was able to defend himself!

And, I for one will be watching to see if the incident gets followed up. They've named the website and person claiming responsibility:

http://www.examiner.com/a-556256~Author_attacked_in_S_F__hotel.html (broken link)

Although the internet is rather anonymous, it seems folks can be tracked down even in the cyber-world!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:39 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, please keep your immigration comments out of this thread... second of all, you've said many things beyond "anti-Israel" rants, which suggest you have some prejudiced views. The mere fact that I expected a post like this from you (on this thread), should say something. But there is a big difference between Israel and Jews around the world, which is a distinction many have trouble with - that's why we got so much crap after 9/11. I've been to Israel, but otherwise have no REAL connection with it... and while I do support the state of Israel & the Israeli people, I too disagree with many of their government's actions/policies. Anyway, this shouldn't be a thread about the Middle-east, and certainly not about immigration either! Let's try to focus on Wiesel, and how we can fight against anti-Semites such as his attacker.
Yes, I've been to Israel too. You must be confusing me with someone else. I am not prejudiced against anyone and I have never posted a prejudicial remark about anyone. You have confused my posts with others before. Please don't slander my name before making sure of your facts. As for my 'immigration' remarks, I was clearly using that as an example of people going off the deep end when a particular subject is mentioned, and not bothering to think past their noses.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Thanks for sharing your views and making yourself clear.

However, let's remember this thread is about anti-semitism in the US, not the Middle East, not Israel and is certainly not about immigrants, whether they are legal or illegal.

Let's stay on TOPIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, I've been to Israel too. You must be confusing me with someone else. I am not prejudiced against anyone and I have never posted a prejudicial remark about anyone. You have confused my posts with others before. Please don't slander my name before making sure of your facts. As for my 'immigration' remarks, I was clearly using that as an example of people going off the deep end when a particular subject is mentioned, and not bothering to think past their noses.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am relieved he was able to defend himself!

And, I for one will be watching to see if the incident gets followed up. They've named the website and person claiming responsibility:

http://www.examiner.com/a-556256~Author_attacked_in_S_F__hotel.html (broken link)

Although the internet is rather anonymous, it seems folks can be tracked down even in the cyber-world!
Thanks for this - I can't believe that I didn't see this in any of my local papers...... I suppose they were all worried about the Anna Nicole "tragedy".

Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Thanks for this - I can't believe that I didn't see this in any of my local papers...... I suppose they were all worried about the Anna Nicole "tragedy".
It's a sad commentary on our society that Anna Nicole Smith is deemed more newsworthy than Elie Wiesel, just as it was a sad comment on our society that the death of Nicole Brown Simpson was deemed more newsworthy than the death of Peter Cushing (who died the same day, albeit of old age)

Old 02-13-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I didn't say you were racist, but I've read plenty of things (yes, from YOU ) on the immigration threads that made me shake my head... and you always jump in with a certain point of view, whenever it's an issue of race/heritage. Anyway, I'd like to keep this thread on-topic, and that was my main point toward you...

Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I've read Norman Finkelstein before, and do not disagree with every last thing he says. He is Noam Chomsky's protege. Leftie students like to quote Chomsky and Finkelstein and wring their hands over those troublesome Jews. IMHO Chomsky is a bright man but has some issues of his own--he can produce quite a tempest in an academic teapot.
But James T, I don't think you posted Elie Wiesel is a Fraud to discuss Wiesel (and I couldn't care less that he lives in a nice Manhattan apartment--good for him, I say).
That link is a thinly disguised pro-Palestinian article. There is a place to discuss that kind of stuff, but this thread is not it.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 02-13-2007 at 04:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies