Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times

Advertisements

AIG had warnings on risk: lawmaker: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/081007/business_us_financial_aig.html - broken link)

The Fed is now the majority shareholder of AIG.

Based on some of the testimony received during Rep. Waxman's hearings, AIG deserved to fail because they were too reliant on very risky assets that operated in the "shadow banking" realm. The Fed didn't allow AIG to fail because it believed AIG's businesses are too widely worked into the US financial establishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Default Thank god for the bailout.. Now we can go on vacation!!

Aig Goes On Vacation: After The Bailout AIG Bought Themselves A $440,000 "Retreat" At A California Resort (http://consumerist.com/5060290/after-the-bailout-aig-bought-themselves-a-440000-retreat-at-a-california-resort - broken link)

Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Those SOB's the F'n gall of these SOB's....
They need all their assets sold at auction and bank accounts frozen

Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
I hate to say it but one day these type of unbelievable occurances will lead to another French style revolution where people will take matters into hand regarding the aristocrat style people,

Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM

190 posts, read 443,453 times
That day is coming sooner than we think. Who still believes any of these suits? They're all corporate puppets.

I'm not convinced that things have to get violent. I'm against that under any circumstance. Change is, however, on the way, and it's not Mcbama's brand of change.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymum View Post
That day is coming sooner than we think. Who still believes any of these suits? They're all corporate puppets.

I'm not convinced that things have to get violent. I'm against that under any circumstance. Change is, however, on the way, and it's not Mcbama's brand of change.
well most people don't want violence,I don't think we are close to violence.Alot of doomsday and assumption posts happening because most of us are bewildered about what is happening and what the future will hold.

But........if things were to get so bad where alot of American's were struggling to survive aka another depression and were to find that their money was being used by elites to indulge in such lavish luxury like above story their would come a point of the straw breaking.

These kind of things are what have led to "la revolutions" like in most of South America and such which people being PO'd enough unfortunately bring into power a government supposedly "for them" but really are tyrants like Hugo Chavez.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 PM

BTW,is there anybody here who is going to defend the actions of these executives for indulging like this after crying for help from a bailout?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Richard Fuld punched in face in Lehman Brothers gym - Telegraph

Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 PM

190 posts, read 443,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
well most people don't want violence,I don't think we are close to violence.Alot of doomsday and assumption posts happening because most of us are bewildered about what is happening and what the future will hold.

But........if things were to get so bad where alot of American's were struggling to survive aka another depression and were to find that their money was being used by elites to indulge in such lavish luxury like above story their would come a point of the straw breaking.

These kind of things are what have led to "la revolutions" like in most of South America and such which people being PO'd enough unfortunately bring into power a government supposedly "for them" but really are tyrants like Hugo Chavez.
There are nonviolent solutions though. If it gets to that point, people can stop going to work (assuming there are jobs left). Where are the exectutives going to get their bonuses when there is no commerce, and no lower-class income to tax? We could begin a rogue society where goods are exchanged directly among small communities. People are going to have to start growing their own food and buying whatever resources they can now to do this. Once the dollar is worthless, it's game over. Don't let Chase and Citigroup own everything before we no longer have buying power!

Sure, the federal government can respond with military force. But aside from using nuclear weapons on its own land, how do they expect to control hundreds of millions of people who have lost everything? They are severely outnumbered.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
OMG ya'll. I just got the coolest flat screen tv with a built in iPod and surround sound speakers. I bought it so that i can watch my favorite sports teams in hi-def. It's almost like being there. Huh? My Congressional district? I dunno.

I wish more people paid attention to politics like they do sports. We never would have gotten into this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies