Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times

Advertisements

Story in today's New York Times:

Al Qaeda Chiefs Are Seen to Regain Power

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/19/wo...pagewanted=all

From the story:

"Officials said that both American and foreign intelligence services had collected evidence leading them to conclude that at least one of the camps in Pakistan might be training operatives capable of striking Western targets. A particular concern is that the camps are frequented by British citizens of Pakistani descent who travel to Pakistan on British passports."

First off, I have to wonder how accurate this story is, given the fact that this administration has been known to pass inaccurate tips to the New York Times. (We know this from the Scooter Libby trial and from Judith Miller's testimony. When they have an agenda, it's best to tell the NYT.)

However, if the story is true, what are we doing in Afghanistan to prevent Al Qaeda from reorganizing? And why haven't we caught Osama bin Laden?

Old 02-19-2007, 03:14 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
It is known that Al Qaeda grew from a bare few thousand before the Iraq debacle to over 20,000 today.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:43 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

From the story:

"Officials said that both American and foreign intelligence services had collected evidence leading them to conclude that at least one of the camps in Pakistan might be training operatives capable of striking Western targets. A particular concern is that the camps are frequented by British citizens of Pakistani descent who travel to Pakistan on British passports."

First off, I have to wonder how accurate this story is, given the fact that this administration has been known to pass inaccurate tips to the New York Times. (We know this from the Scooter Libby trial and from Judith Miller's testimony. When they have an agenda, it's best to tell the NYT.)

However, if the story is true, what are we doing in Afghanistan to prevent Al Qaeda from reorganizing? And why haven't we caught Osama bin Laden?
You'll notice that this story references camps in Pakistan, a country we are prohibited from entering. We do need to pressure Masharif to allow to hunt for OBL and his ilk.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Why? he knows they are there, and he keeps us out, sounds like time for Condi Rice, oh, oops, she has been there.

Musharraf is playing the US, surely you did not think Bin Laden was in a cave in Afghanistan.

This is another example of a completely xxxed up war on terror

Old 02-19-2007, 04:14 PM

This is from another story in the NYT today -- the story about the attack on the American base that killed 2 and wounded 17:

"American and Iraqi officials said their was little doubt that Sunni militants, most likely Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, was responsible for the attack. There were no reports of how many militants were killed."

Sunnis are backed by Saudi Arabia, not Iran.

I've started to pay more attention to who the attackers are in these stories since Bush keeps claiming Iran is behind a lot of the attacks but Iran is backing the Shiites, not the Sunnis.

Many of the 9/11 hijackers were also from Saudi Arabia.

It appears to me that we value our friendship (and oil) with Saudi Arabia more than we value American lives...??? I find this quite perplexing.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It appears to me that we value our friendship (and oil) with Saudi Arabia more than we value American lives...??? I find this quite perplexing.
Apparently you do not understand Conservative political practice

Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Apparently you do not understand Conservative political practice
Ummmm.... I think I get it... We'll attack Iran because the Saudis keep attacking us!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:55 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:

From the story:

There you have it, Conservative Cheerleaders everywhere. The sum of the results of your "war on terror". Congratulations. Own it.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Quote:
Ummmm.... I think I get it... We'll attack Iran because the Saudis keep attacking us!
Why not? We already attacked Iraq because most of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudi and none were from Iraq...

Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Why not? We already attacked Iraq because most of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudi and none were from Iraq...

These terrorist are from iraq, there's a video clip at the bottom of the third picture...but it may not be for everyone to view...it's graphic.

http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/worldnews (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies