Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ok so I must be a limited slave this way I will move like nomad in order to keep ahead of the federal government.
Their was a time when you could have 2 kids and drive a truck to work and live in NJ. Are you saying if you have 2 kids and live in NJ that is not possible. Fact is no matter where you move to or how many kids you have the government is stealing from ME and it has nothing to do with how I live. I could be save every penny I made and live on the street and make 100k a year or live in a car!!! It doesn excuse the fact of repeated STEALING!!! I also noticed you refuse to see the example and ignore overall issue of broken government and how much they take from everyone. I their for assume you are the enemny the part of the problem and will probably enjoy the false ideals that your somehow free and government is helping you right.
Such anger! Thanks for calling me your enemy.

Now, if you'd care to actually pay attention to what I have to say, let me elaborate. You (the collective "you", not necessarily the personal you) whine and cry about how much the government takes from you and how poor you are and how you can't get ahead, yet you never do anything about it. In the long run, it would be great to get taxes reduced somehow, but in the short run why not take charge of your own life, get off your butt, and solve some of your own financial problems?

You don't HAVE to live in a state that charges egregiously high taxes. You don't HAVE to drive a giant gas-guzzling SUV. You don't HAVE to pay $25,000 a year for child care. You don't HAVE to live in a 5000 sq foot home. You don't HAVE to own a 52" flat screen tv with all the bells and whistles...Et cetera. People like this are causing a lot of their own financial problems and are just blinded to that fact.

Maybe you should have chosen a cheaper, more fuel efficient vehicle. How about having only one kid instead of two? Live in a smaller house in a state that doesn't charge as much taxes, and buy the smaller television instead of the monster one. It's simple -- if you're making $100k a year and "just getting by", you're probably spending too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:25 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Try voting for a different government.
I'm open for suggestions but at this point, as I stated earlier, no one who has a chance of winning major races will make a difference. I am voting for a different government where I think it can begin to make an impact but I think this has to start at the bottom and go up. Not enough people are willing to go outside and vote for other than the red or blue teams in the major races. I only hope to stem the tide until I think a real difference is attainable. I'm not happy about it, but I don't feel like I have many options.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Such anger! Thanks for calling me your enemy.

Now, if you'd care to actually pay attention to what I have to say, let me elaborate. You (the collective "you", not necessarily the personal you) whine and cry about how much the government takes from you and how poor you are and how you can't get ahead, yet you never do anything about it. In the long run, it would be great to get taxes reduced somehow, but in the short run why not take charge of your own life, get off your butt, and solve some of your own financial problems?

You don't HAVE to live in a state that charges egregiously high taxes. You don't HAVE to drive a giant gas-guzzling SUV. You don't HAVE to pay $25,000 a year for child care. You don't HAVE to live in a 5000 sq foot home. You don't HAVE to own a 52" flat screen tv with all the bells and whistles...Et cetera. People like this are causing a lot of their own financial problems and are just blinded to that fact.

Maybe you should have chosen a cheaper, more fuel efficient vehicle. How about having only one kid instead of two? Live in a smaller house in a state that doesn't charge as much taxes, and buy the smaller television instead of the monster one. It's simple -- if you're making $100k a year and "just getting by", you're probably spending too much money.

SuSu Americans act like taxes are the worst thing in the world! Have they looked at their latest utility bill? My freaking cable bill or health insurance premium gives me a coronary!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Without us paying taxes how are we gonna pay for the war on terrorism? If McCain is elected he will surely gonna bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran and that takes money.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
It all costs money. The roads the SUV goes down...the licensing or other oversight that keeps those kids from being cared for all day by sexual predators...the list goes on and on. Then there's that $100K to start out with. On average about $20K worth of it came directly or indirectly from government. Everybody complains about taxes...but nobody's willing to give up all the income and free services that they receive in exchange.

Last edited by saganista; 10-31-2008 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
...Then there's that $100K to start out with. On average about $20K worth of it came directly or indirectly from government...
Help me out here...what?

And, most people don't mind paying taxes to cover national security and infrastructure. Are you seriously suggesting that even "most" of our taxes go toward security and infrastructure?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:01 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Nothing wrong with taxes. It drives civilizations, however, government workers are in most cases are unionized, many in the private sector aren't. Many government workers get a cost of living raise each year, many in the private sector don't. Here in Washington I've seen wages for skilled government trade labour outstrip those wages in the private sector by at least a third and upwards to half in the last 25 years. Mothers used to be able to stay home and raise their children, in many cases that has ended. To maintain a middle class lifestyle both need to work and this is more prevalent in some States than others. Fuel for a SUV wasn't an issue not long ago, now it is. The cost of Health Insurance is slowly breaking my wife and I. I can go on and on but I think our standard of living is falling fast and our government knows this but is afraid to be honest or just plain slow in responding. A lumbering giant.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:05 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It all costs money. The roads the SUV goes down...the licensing or other oversight that keeps those kids from being in cared for all day by sexual predators...the list goes on and on. Then there's that $100K to start out with. On average about $20K worth of it came directly or indirectly from government. Everybody complains about taxes...but nobody's willing to give up all the income and free services that they receive in exchange.
Please explain how $20,000 comes from the government and in case you didn't read above, 50% of my income goes out in taxes. Why do you think anything from the government is FREE??

Old 10-31-2008, 12:26 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Perhaps the Republicans should have cut spending rather than cut taxes.

Perhaps both partys should be forced to cut when they dont have any money and borrow from china don't you think. After all Democrats spend too even the bills the republican submit the dems stack on other spending. But Again this is not about spending as much as it about them stealing. Just because the crook broke in my house and stole the money from my wallet I really dont care what he spends it on or how much of it spends stop ignoring the first crime against us.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:38 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Perhaps both partys should be forced to cut when they dont have any money and borrow from china don't you think. After all Democrats spend too even the bills the republican submit the dems stack on other spending. But Again this is not about spending as much as it about them stealing. Just because the crook broke in my house and stole the money from my wallet I really dont care what he spends it on or how much of it spends stop ignoring the first crime against us.
Look, as I see it you have four choices:

1: Keep whining & do nothing
2: Change your cost of living to a more acceptable level
3: Actively work to change the government
4: Move to another country

You obviously choose to live in the USA. That choice comes with tax obligations, whether or not you think they're fair. If you really have a problem with them, then you've got those choices up there to work with. Otherwise...you're just whinging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies