Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Isn't it funny how some people cannot grasp the difference between conservatives and the religious right and/or moral majority?
Conservative posters, in general, use this board to whine about losing their personal freedoms, and in almost every case, they make no reference to religion or morality as a basis for their position. That comes into play only when marriage becomes the pesonal freedom that they suddenly don't have any concern for anymore.

BTW, I saw the vote tally last night. I think you had better start getting used to calling it the Moral Minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Should the government be involved in marriage?
If not, how do you resolve the issues that come with state benefits of marriage and federal benefits of marriage?

I'm sure there are more questions so...feel free to ask and answer.
I just want to see people's views on the topic.
The federal government should not be involved in placing religous dogma unto its citizens. Is homesexuality a sin? Who cares, 'sins' are ever so subjective these days, sexing up with a ho is an indiscretion yet wanting to marry, raise a family and remain monogamous is 'sinful'?
Screw it! The government has no right nor any purpose in outlining morality. If that is the case, all illegimate pregnancies should be outlawed as should all divorces.
I think marriage should be legalized for gays, and they should be eligible for all tax benefits as a married couple. I agree with cb at sea and that if the flat tax was ever instituted in this country that whole aspect of the debate would be moot.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
I think any two consenting adults should be able to enter into marriage, if they so chose.
No one's business, but those involved.
All marriages should be treated the same under the law.

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Conservative posters, in general, use this board to whine about losing their personal freedoms, and in almost every case, they make no reference to religion or morality as a basis for their position. That comes into play only when marriage becomes the pesonal freedom that they suddenly don't have any concern for anymore.
That may be (though I see just as many posts from conservatives who have no problem with gay marriage), nonetheless there is a difference between fiscal conservatives and the religous right. Which is why the libertarian movement is gaining ground within the gop. Actual conservatives have been betrayed in favor of courting the moral majority.
Frankly, I find it insulting to be lumped in with them.

Moral minority? Yes, actually I agree with you on that. The old school moral majority are aging/dying out. I think the republicans will transform themselves into more of a libertarian party within my lifetime.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
The federal government should not be involved in placing religous dogma unto its citizens. Is homesexuality a sin? Who cares, 'sins' are ever so subjective these days, sexing up with a ho is an indiscretion yet wanting to marry, raise a family and remain monogamous is 'sinful'?
Screw it! The government has no right nor any purpose in outlining morality. If that is the case, all illegimate pregnancies should be outlawed as should all divorces.
I think marriage should be legalized for gays, and they should be eligible for all tax benefits as a married couple. I agree with cb at sea and that if the flat tax was ever instituted in this country that whole aspect of the debate would be moot.
"Sexing up with a ho is an indisrection...."
Ih goodness, that truly made me laugh out loud.
Thanks fo rthat. =]

Old 11-05-2008, 01:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No they don't. States have a right to say who can marry and who cannot, based on age and perhaps other critersi, but once a person is eligible to marry, the government has no right to limit spouse choices. Unless you like the idea of government restrticting personal freedom in general. (My original post was edited, and not all replies are to the same version.)
States have the right to limit all kinds of things.

So your all for poligamy marriages? I mean after all, they've reached the age of consent right? Ooh, thats different ha? Thats one of those "other criteria" you discussed. Anotherwords, people should be allowed to marry who they want, provided they confirm to your approval..

Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,402 times
Quote:
I think the republicans will transform themselves into more of a libertarian party within my lifetime.
I friggin hope so. Maybe then we can discuss real issues that matter in this country like inflation and energy instead of gay marriage.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
States have the right to limit all kinds of things.

So your all for poligamy marriages? I mean after all, they've reached the age of consent right? Ooh, thats different ha? Thats one of those "other criteria" you discussed. Anotherwords, people should be allowed to marry who they want, provided they confirm to your approval..
Hey, 28 bazillion wives, whatever, as long as the government keeps its nose out of religious matters.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
On my marriage application it said "party A" and "party B", that was humiliating enough.

I see no problem with them having "domestic partnerships" as they had before, there is no reason to legislate for the 2% of people who want to bond with the same sex.

It's the same thing, just don't call it MARRIAGE.

It was ridiculous the first time they struck down how the public voted, it's even more ridiculous now because there will be some Judge who decides again that it's unconstitutional and we'll vote it down again.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
For all intents and purposes, this long time conservative agrees wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies