Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention as of late that not only does roughly half the nation oppose same-sex marriage, but a large portion (thankfully less than half though) ALSO oppose same-sex civil unions or domestic partnerships. Why? Can anyone give me an honest, intelligent, well-read interpretation on as to how my partner and I engaging into a civil union at the county courthouse will mitigate the value of YOUR heterosexual marriage?

Thankfully as nation we've reached the point where while many are still ready to vote against same-sex marriage, the majority of the heterosexual community still feels as if SOME sort of legal justification of our relationships are warranted. However, to those who still oppose not only same-sex marriage but also ANY formal recognition of same-sex relationships, I'm curious to hear your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:48 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,143 times
Because im to busy clinging to my guns and religion in apathy

Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Mostly, though I am not personally opposed usually, because the issue can't be solved on CD but has infiltrated the forum to the point of disturbance.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:09 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,397 times
Here's another question.

Why do people start threads in support of gay marriage and then report any posts that disagree with their point of view to the moderators?

I would think that someone who really believed in what they posted would be able to respond to differences of opinion without calling for help.

Why are people so sensitive? I would think that most of us would be far too busy to sit around reporting people, but then again I don't want to challenge anyone's freedom of expression.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
I know a lot of people who are opposed to same sex marriage but not civil unions, myself included, so I can't answer this.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
There are still millions of people who believe to do evil and to oppress those that are different as it says to do in God's Bible. Those people are no different than Germany's Nazis. They are sociopaths and you cannot rid the world of sociopaths. They will forever be on the earth to create disharmony and social problems. http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

Thankfully Christianity is in its downfall. Christianity is like any other sadistic cult. There always has to be a scapegoat especially when it's on its way down like in the case of Christianity; however, on the good side of things some modern Christian denominations are sometimes very liberal and hold no agenda to oppress or target any group or individuals.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
I'm not opposed to civil unions or domestic partnerships. I think that gay couples should be able to have legal guardianship over their partners, decide financial matters in case one or the other is sick, visit one another in the hospital, and make life decisions for one another. I can't fathom why people would want to keep gay people from having these rights. IMO, it just ain't right any way you look at it.

I certainly don't subscribe to the gay lifestyle, but it is definitely not for me to judge someone or their relationship; that's for a higher power. Let people live in peace.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Synopsis what do you mean lifestyle? Same gender attraction and dating? Sex addiction? Multiple partners? Anal sex? Because I just want to clear it up for you that not every gay man seeks out or has anal sex, some of them never do and some of them just want a monogamous life partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm not opposed to civil unions or domestic partnerships. I think that gay couples should be able to have legal guardianship over their partners, decide financial matters in case one or the other is sick, and visit one another in the hospital. I can't fathom why anyone would want to keep the person who is closest to them apart in times of life-making decisions. It just ain't right, any way you look at it.

I certainly don't subscribe to the lifestyle, but it is definitely not for me to judge someone.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Thankfully Christianity is in its downfall. Christianity is like any other sadistic cult. There always has to be a scapegoat especially when it's on its way down like in the case of Christianity;
LOL Don't make me laugh. It hurts my back.

Quote:
however, on the good side of things modern Christianity denominations are sometimes very liberal hold no agenda to oppress or target any group or individuals.
Spoken like a true liberal. They're 'ok' as long as they think like you? Otherwise, they're sadistic cults with scapegoats? Ow, my back hurts.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:41 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Synopsis what do you mean lifestyle? Same gender attraction and dating? Sex addiction? Multiple partners? Anal sex? Because I just want to clear it up for you that not every gay man seeks out or has anal sex, some of them never do and some of them just want a monogamous life partner.

I didn't mean anything negative by that statement artsyguy. I completely understand your viewpoint. By "lifestyle" I suppose I did mean anal sex, but thank you for clearing that up. I did not mean to offend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies