Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times

Advertisements

The LDS church doesn't support polygymy anymore. It wasn't politically expedient for them to advocate a man taking more than 1 wife. So, no, the LDS church, in their intolerance against gays, would not advocate them going to back to being polygymists. Now, the FLDS does beieve in polygymy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM

202 posts, read 535,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
No, and that is another LDS attack. The practice of polygamy was abandoned in 1890.
So, they redefined their "traditional" marriage, then.

I thought we weren't supposed to redefine marriage.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:21 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
I do NOT support Prop 8. I see gay marriage as valid, under the equal treatment aspect of the constitution. Judges agree.

Meanwhile, I've come to the conclusion that plural marriage should be allowed if all the current spouses are fully aware of the deal and are present when one or more partners are added to the arrangement.

What brought me around to this POV is the FLDS crowd that was in the news this year, down in Texas. As currently structured, the plural marriages of the FLDS sect is just another rip off of the taxpayer. The state only recognizes ONE of those wives, all the others are viewed by the state as being unwed mothers and ALL of them are collecting welfare checks from the state of TX. The FLDS is a sex cult and a business community hiding behind a non-profit church exemption. The assets of that cult should be seized, sold, and used to pay back the state of TX and/or the Federal Government for all their welfare and food stamp thievery of these wacko's.

FLDS is a scam, nothing more. End their scam by allowing plural marriage and making those "men" support all of their wives, not sticking we taxpayers with the bills, while they hide behind tax-exempt status.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
yeah, good luck with that. any man that would share a woman with another man is not a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I'm all for polygamy- I figure it would work like this-

1 hubby that's good with tools and fixing things

1 hubby that can kill scary bugs and creatures

1 hubby that's a terriffic chef and great housekeeper

1 hubby that's rich

and of course the young stallion that I would need for other things. I figure they will age out of the stallion role every few years and I would have to determine their area of expertise for after they are replaced as said stallion.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think that gay marriage is going to lead to polygamy and other forms of marriage or relationships. Could you marry your parent or sibling for legal or financial purposes? Your child? What about a complete stranger for financial reasons? I don't know. Society is crumbling and maybe the only thing holding it together is religion and the family. Is it worth taking a chance? Again, I don't know.
Maybe it isn't hurting anything. But neither is somebody owning a gun, putting a Christmas display up on public property or listening to talk radio. Yet all these are under fire by those who think they do hurt people or offend people. You can't pick and choose freedoms and deny others theirs. Or you can but it cuts both ways, you deny others some freedoms and they deny you some.
Polygamy predates gay marriage.

If marriage between a woman and a man has not lead to marrying your parent or your sibling than why would gay marriage????

Yes, complete strangers may marry, there is no law that says you have to know each other.

Yes, people marry for financial reasons...like being able to have health insurance.

Putting up a R E L I G I O U S Christmas display on P U B L I C property is wrong.

I haven't seen talk radio under fire...just some things said on it.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
yeah, good luck with that. any man that would share a woman with another man is not a man.
And any woman who'd share her man is a brainwashed doormat....and not a woman.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Many men and women share their partners with others - the thing is, they are NOT aware of it, or prefer to ignore it.

Many wives ignore the philandering of their husbands for the sake of keeping the family together, and all that old dated thinking. Many wives are not even aware of it, but even so, they ARE sharing their spouse with others.

Same for men. Wives cheat too. After all, who are ALL these women that men are running around with? Face it, they're not all single gals.

Point it, there is a LOT of "sharing" going on, regardless of social station or religious affiliations, and regardless if both spouses are aware of it. With a divorce rate now over 50%, and with ever increasing amounts of young people forgoing marriage totally, it seems that marriage is an outdated construct. People need to re-evaluate for themselves if marriage is what's best for them.

There is much thinking out there that marriage is indeed an outdated structure, at least for a full adult lifetime, and that many of us need different partners for different phases of our lives. This seems obvious as marriages dissolve when people are in their late forties / early fifties and people go find their 'soulmate' for the next phase of their lives.

Further, much of our belief system regarding marriage and sexual matters have been defined for too long by religion, who use marriage and sex as bludgeons to control people with guilt, shame and fear. Religion is a near-perfect scam in that it keeps you coming back for 'forgiveness' and of course the donation you feel compelled to make in relief. The secondary scam is the legal system, where legions of divorce lawyers make a fat living off the dissolution of marriages. Clergy and Lawyers ride in fancy buggies while we schleps are harnessed up like dumb horses to keep pulling them along in the high style to which they're accustomed.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM

4,081 posts, read 5,611,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
For one, supporters of Prop. 8 were against gay marriage, not for it.

And as for legal adults, I couldn't care less what their marriage arrangements are . . .
I guess the OP doesn't really even know what he or she is talking about. I wonder if he or she voted against prop 8, LOL!!
I love how people make the jump from 2 consenting adults rights to 3-4 consenting adults. Whats even funnier is when they start in with the "family pet" argument.

Some people are just against minorities having equal rights under the law no matter what.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:25 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
This very hostile group (today a woman was attacked for carrying a cross near a Palm Springs riot)
That's ironic. You won't find a cross anywhere in a Mormon temple. Mormons find displays of the cross blasphemous. So not only are the rioters crazy, they're stupid.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,840,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As currently structured, the plural marriages of the FLDS sect is just another rip off of the taxpayer. The state only recognizes ONE of those wives, all the others are viewed by the state as being unwed mothers and ALL of them are collecting welfare checks from the state of TX. The FLDS is a sex cult and a business community hiding behind a non-profit church exemption. The assets of that cult should be seized, sold, and used to pay back the state of TX and/or the Federal Government for all their welfare and food stamp thievery of these wacko's.

FLDS is a scam, nothing more. End their scam by allowing plural marriage and making those "men" support all of their wives, not sticking we taxpayers with the bills, while they hide behind tax-exempt status.

AMEN! As long as there are strict guidelines like I mentioned in my post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies