Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:56 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
We all have rights to public property as we all pay taxes.
His point was that we cannot put a religious symbol on public land. Although some places have gotten around it by adding other, "generic" holiday symbols to their displays. Which is a loophole I think should be closed.

I provided a post above, with links, showing that it is unconstitutional.

Furthermore - I don't just get to walk up to the courthouse and put up whatever display I want to on the steps -- religious or not. So your point about us all owning the property isn't a point at all.

Think I can go the local park and start erecting memorials and stuff?

I might be able to - if I had a good enough case, and went through proper channels. But I can't just start setting up a display, without permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
I wouldn't be opposed to it.
It's not my right to tell others how to live.
If they want to share their love, why not?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:25 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I agree. I cannot believe that crap is STILL going on, even after the raid at the one in Texas. I've read a few autobiographies by women who escaped from the FLDS cult, and that is some TRULY scary stuff. Right here in the US, too. They are totally using religion to brainwash these people, and after several generations of it, these people are just trapped. I don't understand why if they call it "religion" they get a get-out-of-jail-free card & can break all the laws they want as far as raping children, tax evasion, child abuse, etc. etc.
Agree. The tax laws and those for "non-profits" need major revision to sort out the whole stinking bunch of phonies like Jimmy Swaggart, the Bakkers, Focus on the Family, Robertson, Phelps, et al, from the valid churches and other groups that accurately fit the tax codes. That bunch of FLDS cultists in TX are nothing but a sex club, hiding behind a religious exemption. What a scam, and we the taxpayers are eating the bills every day for such thievery.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
All you Prop 8 supporters, would you also support legalizing polygamy?

I suppose this is a fair question to ask, considering the Mormon church is actively being attacked by masses of homosexuals who are intolerant of people who have different viewpoints than them.

But, would you support legalizing Polygamy? I know many gay people who vocally opposed polygamy (particularly from that episode a few years back). If your so much in favor of legalizing gay marriage, which I still think is not considered "marriage", wouldn't it only be fair to legalize polygamy between consenting adults? I mean think about it. I am sure the looneys in San Fran would vote no to legalize Polygamy, but they expect respect from the Mormon church in return?
Prop 8 DOES support polygamy. It redefines marriage as "between a man and a woman", not as "between one man and one woman."

A vote for Prop 8 is a vote FOR polygamy!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,343,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I support Gay marriage.

As for Polygamy, I would not be opposed to legalization IF it were equal to men and women. If men can have multiple wives, then women should be allowed to have multiple husbands.

The only caveat would be that children under 18 years old should not be allowed to enter into a polygamous marriage- regardless of parental consent as I know that parents can sign to allow a minor to marry. And I also believe that in order to prevent the abuse, force and neglect that affects so many LDS women, there should be some kind of requirement that a court appointed mental health professional must talk to all of the participants prior to allowing anyone to enter into a legal plural marriage. This would include all existing spouses.

There have been too many arranged marriages that were forced on young women by their families which have resulted in abuse and less than ideal situations. I read a book written by a woman who was pushed into a plural marriage in Colorado City and she was not only abused by her husband, but also by one of his wives. And her children suffered as well. They were not fed or clothed properly and the favored wife's children were treated as royalty and the other wifes and their children were treated as servants.

And before anyone accuses me of being unjust and picking on polygamists, I strongly believe that it should be a legal requirement that ALL people receive some kind of counseling prior to marriage. But in order to support legal polygamy that would need to be a requirement.

Problem with polygamy is that they wind up with kid brides and now it takes on a very different dimension.

I support gay marriage as its between 2 consenting adults not polygamy with brainwashed by cult like relegion.

I saw this overseas and those "women" looked like their spirit was broken ,zombie like who accept a role they dont want.

Here in the states I suspect one wife or husband after a few yrs is bad enough . Why collect them.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeseven View Post
Prop 8 DOES support polygamy. It redefines marriage as "between a man and a woman", not as "between one man and one woman."

A vote for Prop 8 is a vote FOR polygamy!

Hmmm surprised many S.Florida politicians with their first wife and countless side girlfriends werent for it .

Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Supporters of Prop 8 oppose gay marriage. What an idiot.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
were their any convictions in that case, or did the mighty government just think they needed to break into homes and threaten women and children with tanks. who was in the wrong there? funny how you have a big problem with using religion for brainwashing, but no problem with using our public school system to brainwash children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I agree. I cannot believe that crap is STILL going on,even after the raid at the one in...was it Texas? I've read a few autobiographies by woen who escaped from the FLDS cult,and that is some TRULY scary stuff. Right here in the US,too. They are totally using religion to brainwash these people,and after several generations of it,these people are just trapped. I don't understand why if they call it "religion" they get a get-out-of-jail- free card,& can break all the laws they want as far as raping children,tax evasion,child abuse,etc. etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
were their any convictions in that case, or did the mighty government just think they needed to break into homes and threaten women and children with tanks. who was in the wrong there? funny how you have a big problem with using religion for brainwashing, but no problem with using our public school system to brainwash children.

I myself have a problem with both .

Old 11-25-2008, 02:37 PM

46 posts, read 29,836 times
Default Do Gays consider polygamy acceptable in a free society?

I think most Gays hate the Mormons (and religious Jews and Christians too). Do gays support the Mormons' right to "alternative" marriages and lifestyles in a free and progressive society? Do they tolerate the right of Mormons to express their opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies