Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I just happened to catch the tail end of the Barbara Walters show last night and learned that Thomas Beatie, a woman who underwent gender reassignment, is pregnant again with his second child.

Nothing to see here, move along.

This person did not undergo gender reassignment. When she decided to live as a man, she did not have her female reproductive organs removed. Thus, this is a pregnant woman, and I daresay something of an attention wh*re.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The shame here is that this got any news time at all.
It's no different than any other homosexual couple deciding to have a baby.
Gee, ya' don't suppose the 'wife' in this instance had some huge aversion to being labled a homo do you?
I too don't understand why they keep showing up in the media. I agree--it shouldn't be news.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Those scenarios seem a lot less likely to occur, IMO.
we got wackos out there..implants(fat, silicone etc) in the lips and ass to me are not that far off from the examples above

Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
What is so hard for people to understand that there is a much greater difference between species than there is between different sexes of the same species?
No amount surgery, hormones, or how much one feels that they are the opposite sex, biologically speaking, they will always be the sex they were born. Always.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
No amount surgery, hormones, or how much one feels that they are the opposite sex, biologically speaking, they will always be the sex they were born. Always.
Can you prove that?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Can you prove that?
Not me, but I'm sure a geneticist could. There is no way you can up and change your genotype.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
I would think that kids growing up in gay homes would be less likely to have gender/sexuality issues than kids in straight households.

I imagine that they are not nervous about being gay, if they are, and for sure their parents (mommies or daddies) have friends that are straight, so they probably wouldn't fear that they wouldn't be accepted if they were straight either.

Quote:
I too don't understand why they keep showing up in the media. I agree--it shouldn't be news.
It is news because whatever state this person lived in, Oregon, I think, allowed him to be *legally* considered a man while still able to reproduce.

That is why it is news.

The law allowed the claim to be made that this is a "man" having a baby, when it seems like most people would agree that this "man" is still a "woman"

The news is just taking the opportunity to sensationalize it further.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
no, what south park did is show ridiculous it all is. let me ask you a question. is the brotch gay? she claims to be a man, and is married to a woman, so are they heterosexual? yeah, that's realistic. anyone with a microcosm of a brain can see through that. I love when people try to play the philosophical angle. what is a man? what makes a man? I would say it's freaking genetics. I have never heard of transamerica, nor felicity huffman. also, a computer nerd would be accepted as one of the guys if they were a guy. I would gladly accept a gay man as one of the guys and do guy stuff with him. we are talking about a person in a medically induced halloween costume.

Quote:
South Park parodied it and so they must be right? I might as well throw out one of my favorite movies, TransAmerica, starring Felicity Huffman. That's a dumb way to argue, but if you're going to bring in South Park...

Accepted as "one of the guys"? Are computer nerds always accepted as "one of the guys"? The list can go on and on.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
is the brotch gay? she claims to be a man, and is married to a woman, so are they heterosexual? yeah, that's realistic. anyone with a microcosm of a brain can see through that.
I prefer not to be thought of as gay or lesbian or bisexual or any of those confining terms. I am a member of the GLBTQ community, though. I understand it when people reject those labels, as they don't fit everyone, and I don't think it's smart to categorize people in that way, either.

Quote:
I love when people try to play the philosophical angle. what is a man? what makes a man? I would say it's freaking genetics.
Maybe so, I don't know. Many disagree.

Quote:
I have never heard of transamerica, nor felicity huffman.
Transamerica (2005)

Quote:
also, a computer nerd would be accepted as one of the guys if they were a guy.
Depends on the group of guys, and whether or not they perceive him to be some kind of sissy, I guess.

Quote:
I would gladly accept a gay man as one of the guys and do guy stuff with him. we are talking about a person in a medically induced halloween costume.
Well, I guess you personally don't need to be able to accept him as "one of the guys," since y'all don't know each other (I'm assuming).

Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Not me, but I'm sure a geneticist could. There is no way you can up and change your genotype.
Is that necessary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies