Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Unbelievable that some people want to dictate the laws and 'morals' of our country and its people, based on a 2000-year-old book written for a civilization of people who lived in a place and time that does not even come close to remotely resembling the world we live in today.

Talk about backward.
Yep hook, line and sinker! Fiction can be fun to read but I wouldn't want to live by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I love this "Letter to Dr. Laura". It really shows the ridiculousness of using the bible to justify the position of the religious-right against homosexuality.

snopes.com: Letter to Dr. Laura

Last edited by janetvj; 11-22-2008 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
.... The bible does not forbid anything between man and women ...........
Guess that's why we see so many unwed, pregnant, Christain, teens.
You know the ones who were taught to abstain from having sex until they were married. Yet you chose to judge the gay community.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I love this "Letter to Dr. Laura". I really shows the ridiculousness of using the bible to justify the position of the religious-right against homosexuality.

snopes.com: Letter to Dr. Laura
An engineering professor is treating her husband, a loan officer, to dinner for finally giving in to her pleas to shave off the scraggly beard he grew on vacation. His favorite restaurant is a casual place where they both feel comfortable in slacks and cotton/polyester-blend golf shirts. But, as always, she wears the gold and pearl pendant he gave her the day her divorce decree was final. They're laughing over their menus because they know he always ends up diving into a giant plate of ribs but she won't be talked into anything more fattening than shrimp.

Quiz: How many biblical prohibitions are they violating? Well, wives are supposed to be 'submissive' to their husbands (I Peter 3:1). And all women are forbidden to teach men (I Timothy 2:12), wear gold or pearls (I Timothy 2:9) or dress in clothing that 'pertains to a man'(Deuteronomy 22:5). Shellfish and pork are definitely out (Leviticus 11:7, 10) as are usury (Deuteronomy 23:19), shaving (Leviticus 19:27) and clothes of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19). And since the Bible rarely recognizes divorce, they're committing adultery, which carries the rather harsh penalty of death by stoning (Deuteronomy 22:22).

So why are they having such a good time? Probably because they wouldn't think of worrying about rules that seem absurd, anachronistic or - at best - unrealistic. Yet this same modern-day couple could easily be among the millions of Americans who never hesitate to lean on the Bible to justify their own anti-gay attitudes

Old 11-22-2008, 12:17 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
.... The bible does not forbid anything between man and women ...........
Actually, it kinda does.

See: sodomy, adultery, divorce, premarital sex etc....

Old 11-22-2008, 12:29 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Good point. Yes oral sex is considered sodomy. I'd like to see the Christian defense. Don't you know what straight people do behind closed doors is their business? Of course what gay people do behind closed doors is grist for the mill.
Oral Sex is considered Sodomy?

Hmmm... I didn't know that.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Oral Sex is considered Sodomy?

Hmmm... I didn't know that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_law

Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You know what? Something has just sparked my curiosity. A lot of right-wingers on this forum find the idea of homosexuality to be so repulsive merely because they don't want to know what goes on in our bedrooms. That's a fair judgment call to make. However, a large number of them feel as if heterosexual sex is the only sex that matters because it is the only activity that results in procreation. However, judging by my sexually-charged conversations with some of my straight male peers in college, 100% of them have received oral sex at some point from a female. Isn't that "reviling" to you conservatives? How can that result in procreation? I will also say that I know of one heterosexual couple around my age that engaged in (at least once) anal intercourse. Isn't it time some of you looked into the mirror at your fellow heterosexuals who engage in oral and anal sex before chastising we in the homosexual community for "going against nature?"
As a conservative Christian, I am against both oral and anal sex for heterosexuals.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:32 PM

343 posts, read 510,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
As a conservative Christian, I am against both oral and anal sex.

As a conservative Christian, I have sex through a hole in a sheet and am dead inside and would like everyone else to be dead inside too.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 PM

378 posts, read 626,464 times
What you do during sex is almost subconscious acts, you can't control yourself most of the time because your body wants to do it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies