Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The marxist universities we are stuck with today, considered now the "norm" in secondary education, could use a lesson in self-flaggellation as well. It could only help...
Better to raise a generation of Liberals than Segregationists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The legalities are irrelevant. I'd like to know the Biblical basis for the Christian? action of prohibiting interracial dating?
There are a bunch of extremely vague and ambiguous quotes and situations taken from the Bible and stretched, skewed, and spun out to mean that God doesn't favor the mixing of races. One of them is the Tower of Babel story, supposedly implying that God's sending people to the four corners of the Earth indicates an opposition to those people mixing again. but wouldn't that then make international transport, or learning a foreign language a sin? And why then, did Jesus declare that he came to save all nations or Paul state that everyone is a son of God? Then there's the justification that Adam and Eve were both the same race, therefore God only intended those of the same race to mix. This is sort of like the argument against homosexuality, but is even more flimsy. If we can take that situation and draw from it that God intended only for people of the same race to marry, than can we not also extrapolate that God didn't intend for people of different eye colors/hair colors/Yankees and Sox fans to intermarry? And then there's the argument that Jews were only allowed to marry other Jews. But that had more of a religious basis than racial(the passage about a husband and wife being 'evenly yoked'). The Jews were an extremely small group relative to other nations at the time and always faced the threat of extermination of their culture and religion, so this was one of many rules designed to keep their nation flourishing and spread it far and wide. Others were the rules against homosexuality, laws stating that if your brother died without giving his wife a child that you had to give her one, etc. Most of the Old Testament laws were more about the self preservation of the Jews than anything else.

Then they even ignore stories in favor. Like Ruth and Naomi being allowed to marry into the Israelite nation. Or, one of the most ironic stories in the Bible: Moses has married an Ethiopian woman, and someone(cousin, don't remember) voiced their disapproval. The Bible states, and I paraphrase, that God "struck her(the critical woman) white with leprosy." That guy's got a decent sense of humor after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 03:51 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
There are a bunch of extremely vague and ambiguous quotes and situations taken from the Bible and stretched, skewed, and spun out to mean that God doesn't favor the mixing of races.

<SPACE SAVING SNIP>

Then they even ignore stories in favor. Like Ruth and Naomi being allowed to marry into the Israelite nation. Or, one of the most ironic stories in the Bible: Moses has married an Ethiopian woman, and someone(cousin, don't remember) voiced their disapproval. The Bible states, and I paraphrase, that God "struck her(the critical woman) white with leprosy." That guy's got a decent sense of humor after all.
I appreciate the information, none seems rooted in the teachings of Christ. Which I've been led to believe is the reason for the very existence of BJU?

Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
I've read they label Catholics and Mormons as cult members. True?
Technically speaking? The Mormon church is a cult. But you'd have to know their history to understand. They really depart from Biblical Christianity, particularly in their view of Jesus Christ, but there are a lot of other reasons.

Many of these religeons were started by "Christians" who did not entirely agree with the Bible. Jehovah's Witnesses for example, founded by Charles Tase Russel, who had formerly been a Baptist. He left the church over disagreements with their beliefs, and founded the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Catholics long ago departed from Biblical Christianity, which is why we had the Reformation. They aren't exactly a "cult" but they do have many unbiblical teachings. They believe, for example, that when Jesus said "This is my body, broken for you...and this is my blood", that he was speaking literally, not figuratively.

Catholics also believe that only the Pope can accurately interpret the Bible. They aslo beleive that Mary intercedes for them. Only Christ intercedes, which is why Christians pray to God through Christ, as we were told to do. We do not believe Mary to be above Jesus Christ, as Catholics do.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
I've read they label Catholics and Mormons as cult members. True?
Ha! Probably! But I'm sure you've heard what the Mormons and the Catholics say about those Christians!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Ha! Probably! But I'm sure you've heard what the Mormons and the Catholics say about those Christians!

The one thing I know for sure is the sure way to make me run from any religion is to claim it is the only true religion or that its God is better than other religions' Gods.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Technically speaking? The Mormon church is a cult. But you'd have to know their history to understand. They really depart from Biblical Christianity, particularly in their view of Jesus Christ, but there are a lot of other reasons.

Many of these religeons were started by "Christians" who did not entirely agree with the Bible. Jehovah's Witnesses for example, founded by Charles Tase Russel, who had formerly been a Baptist. He left the church over disagreements with their beliefs, and founded the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Catholics long ago departed from Biblical Christianity, which is why we had the Reformation. They aren't exactly a "cult" but they do have many unbiblical teachings. They believe, for example, that when Jesus said "This is my body, broken for you...and this is my blood", that he was speaking literally, not figuratively.

Catholics also believe that only the Pope can accurately interpret the Bible. They aslo beleive that Mary intercedes for them. Only Christ intercedes, which is why Christians pray to God through Christ, as we were told to do. We do not believe Mary to be above Jesus Christ, as Catholics do.
The Bible was written by men, which makes it subject to all the flaws of men. And without reading the original in its original language we're blindly accepting the interpretations of other flawed men.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM

207 posts, read 704,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bob Jones Universtiy has nothing to appologize for. They are one of the top (perhaps the top) provider of textbooks for home schooling. Their books are second to none, and if you have questions about something in the textbook, you can call BJU and speak with the staff.

We used their materials almost exclusively the entire time our girls were in school, and they always scored in the high 90 precentile ranking on the standardized test (required every year for homeschoolers in Ohio), far outperforming their public school counterparts, who are only required to take the test every other year.

Further, we have met most of the teaching staff (or at least the ones that were there when our children were in school) as they did yearly seminars in cities accross the country. We attended two years in a row in San Diego. They are wonderful people.

Most of the negatives that you hear about BJU are untrue, spread by people who are anti-Christian bigots.

Seriously, are you saying that since they provide great textbooks they don't need to apologize for not allowing black students to their school. Or, until 1999 not allowing 2 people of different races to be in a relationship.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM

387 posts, read 677,853 times
Seeing as how BJU is unaccredited, shouldn't the word "University" be in quotes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies