Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree, but do you notice that those who scream about the poor scamming the government (for a tiny tiny fraction of what banking institutions did or what the Iraqi war did) never will acknowledge giving free UNearned money to FAILED companies and their executives as WELFARE!????
I find this amusing too. Some mom working for minium wage gets $174 a month in food stamps and she is lambasted up and down for being a fraud and a leach. Some mortgage banker gets a $3 million bonus while taking $30 billion from the taxpayers and he is considered a king of the capitalist. And what kills me is that it is people living 3 paychecks away from disaster themselves who think this way. It is called magical thinking. If they pretend that bad times only happen to undeserving people then they feel they will be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree, but do you notice that those who scream about the poor scamming the government (for a tiny tiny fraction of what banking institutions did or what the Iraqi war did) never will acknowledge giving free UNearned money to FAILED companies and their executives as WELFARE!????
Psssh...I'm socially liberal but I don't agree with welfare scams, the iraq war, and all these dumb ass bailouts.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
welfare is alive and well in fact pays a whole lot better. administratively the new system was forged into the old system by implementation of "good cause" for failing to participate.
it rapidly became another giveawy program.
worse the mandatory reading and math tests were abolished bek they were perceived as discriminatory and illiteracy, primary cause of unemployment, was reinvented as "learning disability" a disease. your tax dollars are also used to supposedly educate the poor, the schools (jr college) quickly stopped using academic probation and began to load the curriculum with lots of electives like italian 101, body building and ethnic studies to avoid flunkout and keep those classroom chairs filled.
they also loaded the nursing program with prerequistes turning a 2 year program into a 5 year program. all this to the jeapordy of the welfare people they were supposed to be helping.
the jr colleges began to warehouse welfare people instead of helping them as soon as it was common knowlege that you could dodge welfare to work by going to school (6 years a at jr college with a straight d average in useless elective courses and this stuff defended of course by the school counselors)
here is however a heads up --welfare as you know will end within 12 months.
This isn't true any longer, if it ever was. "Education and Training" while on assistance is limited to 12 weeks in most cases. You can attend school for the 2 years you are allowed assistance but you must come up with the money to pay for it yourself after the 12 week period because your grant will not cover it.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 AM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
You just showed that you nothing at all about SSI.

SSI is not social security. SSDI is social security disability and SSI is social security disability when on does not meet the qualifications for SSDI. It has nothing to do with being 65 or just blind, but any kind of disability, like mental illnesses. You might want to know what you post about before posting half-assed inforamtion because you are wrong.

Here read this and then you can post with some knowledge.

Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI)-- SSI Eligibility
Are you aware that what you posted just supports exactly what she said? So who is the one who doesn't know anything about SSI? You must have read what you posted and still did not understand it. Many of the adults receiving SSI are so severaly mentally disabled that working is simply not an option. There are people who scam any system. But for every scammer there are 10 people who need help and don't get it.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I find this amusing too. Some mom working for minium wage gets $174 a month in food stamps and she is lambasted up and down for being a fraud and a leach. Some mortgage banker gets a $3 million bonus while taking $30 billion from the taxpayers and he is considered a king of the capitalist. And what kills me is that it is people living 3 paychecks away from disaster themselves who think this way. It is called magical thinking. If they pretend that bad times only happen to undeserving people then they feel they will be safe.
Safe and superior....I think that's the issue. So easy to look down on others and try to dictate what they should do..... a little harder to look up and realize someone is looking DOWN at THEM

Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista
Qualifications for SSI...
1. Aged 65 or over, or blind, or disabled.
2. Has limited income, and limited resources, and is a US citizen.
3. Must apply first for any other benefits entitled to.
Quote:
You just showed that you nothing at all about SSI. Here read this and then you can post with some knowledge.

Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI)-- SSI Eligibility
From the top of that very page...

SSI ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR SSI BENEFITS?

Anyone who is:
aged (age 65 or older);
blind; or
disabled.

And, who:
has limited income; and
has limited resources; and
is a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of aliens;

Scroll down to find...

applies for any other cash benefits or payments for which he or she may be eligible, e.g., pensions, Social Security;

Quote:
SSI is not social security.
Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Quote:
SSDI is social security disability and SSI is social security disability when on does not meet the qualifications for SSDI. It has nothing to do with being 65 or just blind, but any kind of disability, like mental illnesses. You might want to know what you post about before posting half-assed inforamtion because you are wrong.
SSI is Supplemental Security Income. Your opinions of SSI are entirely at odds with those of the people who administer the program. Your knowledge of SSI is apparently very close to non-existent. Many types of medically determinable physical and mental disablity are covered. The critical variable in this area is degree of disability, not source.

An individual under age 18 is "disabled" if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which:

results in marked and severe functional limitations; and can be expected to result in death; or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.

An individual age 18 and older is "disabled" if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which:

results in the inability to do any substantial gainful activity; and can be expected to result in death; or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Are you calling me a liar? My MIL is a hell of a lot different then my hairdressers cousins neighbor. Nor do I live in a slum.
Take it how you will. Alleged family gossip does not count as evidence. If you observe fraud, report it. Meanwhile, your suspected class of widespread welfare cheats sitting back and taking life easy on the public dime does not exist. Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Bottom line, if you insist in denying that fraud exists that is your (narrow) perogative. I just wonder what is in it for you to whitewash a broken system?
I have just got done explaining that there is some level of fraud in every system and that rational steps should be taken to minimize it. Do you pay attention to any of this stuff at all???

Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Are you aware that what you posted just supports exactly what she said? So who is the one who doesn't know anything about SSI? You must have read what you posted and still did not understand it. Many of the adults receiving SSI are so severaly mentally disabled that working is simply not an option. There are people who scam any system. But for every scammer there are 10 people who need help and don't get it.
Are you aware that what she posted made it seem like only people who were 65 or older were able to get SSI? I discounted that with my post. Maybe it is you who should read better. Thank you.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
From the top of that very page...

SSI ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR SSI BENEFITS?

Anyone who is:
aged (age 65 or older);
blind; or
disabled.

And, who:
has limited income; and
has limited resources; and
is a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of aliens;

Scroll down to find...

applies for any other cash benefits or payments for which he or she may be eligible, e.g., pensions, Social Security;

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income. Your opinions of SSI are entirely at odds with those of the people who administer the program. Your knowledge of SSI is apparently very close to non-existent. Many types of medically determinable physical and mental disablity are covered. The critical variable in this area is degree of disability, not source.

An individual under age 18 is "disabled" if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which:

results in marked and severe functional limitations; and can be expected to result in death; or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.

An individual age 18 and older is "disabled" if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which:

results in the inability to do any substantial gainful activity; and can be expected to result in death; or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.
I said that people other than older people were getting SSI. Are you sure that you have reading comprehension? I know all about SS, SSI and SSDI. I know the difference and I know for a fact that many people scam the system and get SSI, which happens to be a lifetime welfare program, for the most part. Do you also realize that it is very easy to get SSI? There are also many people who scam SSDI and get it when they shouldn't? Are you calling me a liar? My opinions are not at odds at all with SS. I know this because many years ago I actually worked for SS and doled out the money.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, welfare is that stuff that lazy people use to buy all their Cadillac's and flat-screen plasma TV's. Medicaid is only good for medical care, food stamps for basic foods, Section-8 for housing, WIC for prenatal and infant care, SCHIP for children's health care, TANF for dependent children, SSI for elder and disabled care, LIHEAP for winter heating, and you only get the EITC in exchange for working. Not sure where all those TV's are coming from nowadays...
Easy when you don't have to pay all of that.. the money you collect under the table or from a legitimate job goes to your Plasma TV and nice home... I once knew several families who qualified for all that.. they day they left, they had a brand new Mercedes and a $500k home that was fully furnished with new stuff... strange how several years of "non-welfare" made them incredibly rich... its all about hiding your money so that the government thinks you are poor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies