Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Hard to figure out the twisted right wing mind isn't it? Spending trillions$$$ of tax payer dollars killing hundreds of thousands who did nothing to us (a welfare program for the military) and bankrupting the country in the process is ok, billions in corporate welfare (Oh, sorry I mean subsidies) is ok but a few crack moms and they start foaming at the mouth and blowing a gasket and demanding that children, the elderly and infirmed be thrown out in the streets. Those compassionate conservatives have a heart of gold. Sure there's corruption everywhere. So let's fix it.
Yes, let's fix it ALL and not just the idiot poor people who have decided to not work and instead would rather collect some sort of welfare freebies. Let's get the damn rich SOBs who have taken our tax money also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Yes, let's fix it ALL and not just the idiot poor people who have decided to not work and instead would rather collect some sort of welfare freebies. Let's get the damn rich SOBs who have taken our tax money also.

What are the stats on the APJ, what is the percentage of "idiot poor people who have decided not to work?" as a total of the 7.5 million recipients of SSI?
Its time to backup the big talk, no more cousins, nieces, in-laws or the meth ***** down the road from my mother's sisters house over yonder by the baxter place.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,722 times
Quote:
You are right and that "father" should be having his money taken away to pay for said baby, that is if he is indeed the father. This is done in many states but many fathers are able to get jobs paying cash and therefor, have no money for the state or the federal government to get. BTW, the girl has an option of abortion too. At least, that is what all of the liberals have seen to in this country so the girl has options also.
You are assuming that these women weren't MARRIED to the father and had the baby...before the divorce that left her and her child with no money. I think that happens a lot more than we think. We are quick to assume all poor mothers will sleep with anyone and have children with no concern for the future. Some yes, some no.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I've tried to get SSI a couple times and got denied each time. I have a speech impediment, which is classified as a disability by the ADA and I have Sickle Cell Beta Thallesmia which isn't a disability but limits physical activity.

Both times SSI told me I'm not disabled and I'm capable of working, I tried to tell them that I work but mostly lower paying jobs but they don't buy it.

It's very difficult to get SSI unless you are over 65 and can give them proof that you're disabled to a point in which is hampers your ability to get a job.

Those guys are very strict, LML is right on this one.

Also, they will send you to see a psychologist and also see a doctor for a blood test, check up and everything.
Aren't you referring to SSD?
There is a big difference in SSI and SSD.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 PM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Hard to figure out the twisted right wing mind isn't it? Spending trillions$$$ of tax payer dollars killing hundreds of thousands who did nothing to us (a welfare program for the military) and bankrupting the country in the process is ok, billions in corporate welfare (Oh, sorry I mean subsidies) is ok but a few crack moms and they start foaming at the mouth and blowing a gasket and demanding that children, the elderly and infirmed be thrown out in the streets. Those compassionate conservatives have a heart of gold. Sure there's corruption everywhere. So let's fix it.
Why is it that people like you assume that because there is an objection to one issue, anybody objecting automatically OK's everything else?
I doubt the majority of us are any happier with these bailouts or "corporate welfare" and many other kinds of programs.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
You might be surprised to know that the largest percentage of the increase in those applying for food stamps are INTACT families...mother and father and children....who have lost their jobs and are unable to now feed their families. These are people who have worked and supported their families all along and then when the economy went south they could either let their family starve or swallow their pride and ask for help. A lot of these people were saying the same things as you are saying a year ago...and a year from now you might be applying too.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
I said that people other than older people were getting SSI.
What you actually said was: You just showed that you nothing at all about SSI. You might want to know what you post about before posting half-assed inforamtion because you are wrong. Here read this and then you can post with some knowledge.

Then you posted a link that confirmed EVERY SINGLE WORD I'd said. Yeah, you're real clear on all this...regular whiz...

Old 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Easy when you don't have to pay all of that.. the money you collect under the table or from a legitimate job goes to your Plasma TV and nice home... I once knew several families who qualified for all that.. they day they left, they had a brand new Mercedes and a $500k home that was fully furnished with new stuff... strange how several years of "non-welfare" made them incredibly rich... its all about hiding your money so that the government thinks you are poor...
Great, here's another one. This time it's a whole block party going on out there. It really seems like the only people in the country who don't know of loads of people scamming the welfare system to high heaven are the people whose job it is to find people who are scamming the welfare system to high heaven. Here's another one of those pesky SSI requirements...

...gives SSA permission to contact any financial institution and request any financial records that the financial institution may have about you...

But I guess all these folks are buying their brand new Mercedes and their $500,000 homes on a cash basis...that's probably it...

Last edited by saganista; 12-05-2008 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 02:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
This isn't true any longer, if it ever was. "Education and Training" while on assistance is limited to 12 weeks in most cases. You can attend school for the 2 years you are allowed assistance but you must come up with the money to pay for it yourself after the 12 week period because your grant will not cover it.
can vary from state to state and administration of programs (which differs from the written law) can vary even more. the 12 week rule was intention but here is rarely enforced. in fact i would say current WTW in california is bout the most toothless dog i have seen in a long time.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, it is only hard to get for the people who truly need and deserve it. It is not hard for the people who scam the system. One goes to a paid off doctor and then they are in like Flynn. It is all done all of the time and I know this for a fact.
Ah, all you need to do to qualify for SSI is get a note from your doctor. Any doctor.

Actually, you might need to go through something like this, a process that typically takes 3-4 months to complete...

After helping you complete your application, your local Social Security office will review it to see if you meet the basic requirements for disability or blindness benefits. The Social Security office will send your application to the Disability Determination Services (DDS) office in your State. The DDS will decide whether you are disabled or blind under the Social Security law.

The DDS will consider all the facts in your case. They will consider what your doctors or other sources have said about your impairment(s), when it began, how it limits your activities, what the medical tests have shown, and what treatment you have received. They will use medical evidence from your doctors and from hospitals, clinics, or institutions where you have been treated, and all the other information they have about your condition.

A trained DDS team, including a medical or a psychological consultant and a disability examiner, looks at the information you have given us. They also review your medical records, information about how you are functioning, and, if applicable, your work history, and then decide if you are disabled or blind for SSI purposes.

If they cannot make a determination based on the information they have, the DDS will schedule a special medical examination or test for you and will pay for this examination or test. They may pay for your travel expenses to this examination or test.

If you appear to meet all the non–medical eligibility requirements (income, resources, residency, citizenship, etc.), we use a step–by–step process to determine if you are disabled. These steps are called the sequential evaluation process. The following sections describe how we use the sequential evaluation for adults and children.

SEQUENTIAL EVALUATION FOR ADULTS AGE 18 OR OLDER

STEP 1: ARE YOU WORKING?
If you are working and doing substantial gainful activity, we cannot consider you disabled, and the process ends here. We make this decision in your local Social Security office. We decide if your work is "substantial" (significant) and "gainful" (for pay). A general rule is that substantial gainful activity is earnings over $940 per month (effective January 2008) for people who are not blind. If you are not working or not doing substantial gainful activity, we will send your case to the DDS for a determination concerning your impairment.

STEP 2: DO YOU HAVE A SEVERE IMPAIRMENT?
If you are not doing substantial gainful activity, the Disability Determination Services (DDS) then decides if your impairment or combination of impairments is severe. An impairment is severe if it significantly limits your physical or mental ability to do basic work activities. If your impairment(s) is not severe, the DDS will find that you are not disabled. If your impairment(s) is severe, the DDS will go to the next step. Examples of basic work activities are: physical functions such as standing, walking, sitting, lifting; seeing, hearing, speaking; understanding and carrying out simple instructions; use of judgment; responding appropriately to supervision and co–workers; and dealing with changes.

STEP 3: DO YOU HAVE AN IMPAIRMENT WHICH MEETS OR EQUALS A SOCIAL SECURITY "LISTED IMPAIRMENT?"
If your impairment is severe, the Disability Determination Services (DDS) decides if it "meets" or equals a "listed impairment." The DDS decides if your impairment(s) "meets" one of the Listings by comparing it to the specific requirements in the Listings. (It is not enough just to have a diagnosis named in a Listing). If your impairment meets the requirements of a Listing, the DDS will find you disabled and the process ends here. If your impairment does not meet the requirements of a Listing, or you have more than one impairment, the DDS looks at whether your impairment(s) is equal in severity and duration to a listed impairment. If your impairment(s) equals the requirements of a listed impairment, then they find that you are disabled and the process ends here. If your disability is severe, but does not meet or equal a listed impairment, the DDS can still find you disabled at a later step in the process. The DDS decides what you are physically and mentally able to do, despite the limitations resulting from your impairments. They call this decision a "Residual Functional Capacity" or RFC assessment.

STEP 4: ARE YOU ABLE TO DO YOUR PAST WORK?
If, taking into account your RFC assessment, you are able to do work you did in the past (generally the last 15 years), the DDS will find that you are not disabled, and the process ends here.

STEP 5: CAN YOU DO ANY OTHER KIND OF WORK?
If you cannot do your past work, the DDS looks at the limitations described in your RFC assessment, your age, education, and past work experience to decide if you could adjust to other work. If you can adjust to other work, they will deny your claim. If you cannot adjust to other work, they will find you disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies