Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Ah, all you need to do to qualify for SSI is get a note from your doctor. Any doctor.

Actually, you might need to go through something like this, a process that typically takes 3-4 months to complete...
<snipped regular blathering>

Yes, one has to do all of that. I merely said that about the doctor because some were saying that one could not get approved if they did not have an actual disability. That is wrong and what I said about the doctor is all that was about. BTW, some people get approved within 6 months, and this goes for the SSDI also, and some peope never get approved, even when they deserve to receive it. I knew a person that got their 3rd denial from the ss office on the day they buried her. It is a shame that many people who deserve the payments don't get it while many who do not deserve it do get it. I guess that is ok with you since you are more worried about the idiocy that you posted than you are with the actual scamming that goes on with the office.

BTW, you are not showing me anything I don't already know. I am glad that you are learning something though. Now, go and find out about all of the scamming and lying going on with lots of people while others who actually deserve the disability don't get it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Actually, it is only hard to get for the people who truly need and deserve it. It is not hard for the people who scam the system. One goes to a paid off doctor and then they are in like Flynn. It is all done all of the time and I know this for a fact.
You don't really understand the other side of the fence.

There's a saying: "The system will make an honest man a liar"; that the way the political system, speaking in paradigms, years upon years of malfeasance, is geared towards poverty misconceptions, as a whole, creating the perversions we now see that people like to hyperbolize to no end with any grounded rationale on the matter.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I've tried to get SSI a couple times and got denied each time. I have a speech impediment, which is classified as a disability by the ADA and I have Sickle Cell Beta Thallesmia which isn't a disability but limits physical activity.

Both times SSI told me I'm not disabled and I'm capable of working, I tried to tell them that I work but mostly lower paying jobs but they don't buy it.

It's very difficult to get SSI unless you are over 65 and can give them proof that you're disabled to a point in which is hampers your ability to get a job.

Those guys are very strict, LML is right on this one.

Also, they will send you to see a psychologist and also see a doctor for a blood test, check up and everything.
It's not that difficult.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
It comes down to this for me.

If you are a healthy able bodied adult you can work. If you refuse then you can starve to death. The hate and discust I feel towards these lazy scammers that milk the system has no bounds.
Most just want good wages with good a working environment, not mere sustenance to exist in this life. You know, "bread and roses"....

Why do you think some opt out of the rat-race? The balancing of pros and cons does wonders to priorities....

Old 12-06-2008, 01:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I find it both strange a bit amusing the way that "Welfare" gets bandied about on this and other sites. Welfare or more appropriately Aid To Dependent Children went out of existence more than 12 years ago, when Congress and the Clinton administration signed into law the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act which limits benefits to 2 consecutive years and no more than 5 years over a lifetime.
Welfare did not go away, it just got renamed and separated into a whole bunch of government giveaway programs. Food stamps for example, or WIC, or Medicaid. Free housing, utilities, free school lunches, free babysitting services (Head start), SSI and a lot of others.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No. Actual means-tested assistance programs are about 18% of the federal budget, not 50%. Medicaid would account for well more than half of that. Here are some data from FY2002 since I happen to have them handy. These totals include both federal and state expenditure.

Medicaid:......$258.2 billion
SSI:.............38.5
EITC:............27.8
Food stamps:.....24.1
TANF:............24.0
Section-8........18.5
Pell grants......11.4
Foster care:......8.6
Child care........8.6
Head Start........8.2
Vets med care:....8.2
Public Housing....8.2
School meals......7.6
S-CHIP:...........5.4
WIC...............4.4

The total expenditure in FY2002 was $522 billion, of which $363 billion was federal. While one-third of those who are qualified for benefits do not actually receive any, here are FY2002 recipient numbers for five major programs...

Medicaid:........50.9 million people
Food stamps:.....20.2
EITC:............16.8
SSI:..............6.9
TANF:.............5.1

Sources: Congressional Budget Office, Congressional Research Service.
Don't forget all the individual states contributions to the large class of people who do not choose to work for a living.

Many many women here are popping out babies and not working at all. Any woman who can have baby after baby is certainly "able-bodied" and could work for a living.

It's time to cut off a whole large chunk of people off welfare handouts. It's just promoting illegitimacy and fatherless children. Welfare is why the teen pregnancy rate is sky high and so many children are born to single mothers.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You might be surprised to know that the largest percentage of the increase in those applying for food stamps are INTACT families...mother and father and children....who have lost their jobs and are unable to now feed their families. These are people who have worked and supported their families all along and then when the economy went south they could either let their family starve or swallow their pride and ask for help. A lot of these people were saying the same things as you are saying a year ago...and a year from now you might be applying too.
Yet we've got over 30 million illegal aliens here doing the kind of work these people apparently believe they are too good to do. And thousands are still arriving to take the jobs that some people snub their noses over, preferring to lay around on welfare handouts instead -- which pay more than the work illegals will do.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I've tried to get SSI a couple times and got denied each time. I have a speech impediment, which is classified as a disability by the ADA and I have Sickle Cell Beta Thallesmia which isn't a disability but limits physical activity.

Both times SSI told me I'm not disabled and I'm capable of working, I tried to tell them that I work but mostly lower paying jobs but they don't buy it.

It's very difficult to get SSI unless you are over 65 and can give them proof that you're disabled to a point in which is hampers your ability to get a job.

Those guys are very strict, LML is right on this one.

Also, they will send you to see a psychologist and also see a doctor for a blood test, check up and everything.

I've worked with people who were on chemotherapy, working 8 hours and then heading over for their 8 hours of chemo. Thallesemia does not remove the use of arms or legs or the mind and you're really better off staying active. I know people who were high up on the list of organ transplants and worked a full week. It's easy to be lazy and find excuses why you can't work.

Having no legs, no arms or an IQ less than 60 MIGHT make you incapable of working but attitude is what imairs most welfare recipients. Most welfare recipients are able-bodied and have an IQ over 60. That's pathetic.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I will tell you one thing for sure, and this I know for a fact. Many people who were collecting welfare are now collecting SSI. This I know because of family that work for different states and work for the social security part. YES, many people are collecting SSI that should not, but many now are. It just happens to be FACT!!!!
I do too. A large percent of welfare recipients simply were moved to SSI and live higher on the hog than ever before. They get not only SSI, but food stamps, free housing, or housing assistance, Medicaid. This allows them to lay around the entire day watching cable television or chatting on their cell phones.

They could get off their rear ends and be productive but they believe they are entitled to the earnings of others.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Well as the office of management and budget gave their warning to teh president as required by law;things will change in a few years, Right now the federal governamnt takes in about 18% of the GDP from all sourcesThreee programns SS;Medicaid and medocare consumje 6% of the 18%. In coming year iot is expected to consume 16% of teh 18%;leaving 2% for evryhting else. That will bring a huge change in thwe politcs of welfare.Right now the urban areas get 80% of the federal dolars for poverty with 20% of the poverty as defined by the feds. Rural areas get 20% of the aid with 80% of poverty, Reason-political p[owewr. By the way poverty level does not include any aid given by any agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies