Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 AM

998 posts, read 1,516,192 times

Advertisements

Many words are "shortcuts" used to exchange broader ideas.

This is great for things like:

"I took a cab to work." instead of "I traveled in an internal combustion powered vehicle for hire, for 6.5 miles, to the place where I exchange my labor for pay."

The problems is - when we get into politics and religion, words can have the opposite effect, and actually make it more difficult to communicate, we get mired in semantics, and sometimes people even use the words to try and represent another's viewpoint, and often they end up misrepresenting them.

At this point, we should strive to do away with the "shortcuts" and actually define exactly what is we mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,104,879 times
A lot of times words are structured to make it difficult to understand for a layman and thereby creating a job for underachievers such as LAWYERS.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,501,188 times
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
- John 1:1 (KJV)

Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Our words are constantly redefined to reflect our culture and to incorporate current slang. For example, the word “trip.” For most, this word conjures thoughts of traveling. However, when used in a different context (slang) can be used to describe one who is witty, strange, esoteric, or myriad adjectives depending on the circumstance.

Although I am not always successful, and emotions often dictate my choice of words, I attempt to refrain from using words I consider mean-spirited. I also think political correctness, which I do no subscribe to, has changed the meanings of many words previously considered innocuous.

I agree with gizmo980, words can be very hurtful. Unlike a physical injury, which in time dissipates, a word can leave a permanent mental scar; in particular, when dealing with children. I received many spankings (nothing abusive) as a child, which left no scars, and were soon forgotten. Conversely, there are certain childhood experiences involving hurtful words which I can recall to this day.

Great post, AnUnidentifiedMale!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times
I disagree with the first Oxford premise, though. Scrabble, by rule, would be impossible without an agreed-upon and finite list of English words, and it is known (but not by me) exactly how many words are permissible in tournament Scrabble.

Interestingly, the person who seems to be the world Scrabble champion year after year cannot carry on a conversation in English. I think he is Korean or something, and he has simply memorized the list of admissible Scrabble words, and has no clue as to what they mean. To him, it is like driving a car without knowing the names of the engine parts.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,347,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Our words are constantly redefined to reflect our culture and to incorporate current slang. For example, the word “trip.” For most, this word conjures thoughts of traveling. However, when used in a different context (slang) can be used to describe one who is witty, strange, esoteric, or myriad adjectives depending on the circumstance.

Although I am not always successful, and emotions often dictate my choice of words, I attempt to refrain from using words I consider mean-spirited. I also think political correctness, which I do no subscribe to, has changed the meanings of many words previously considered innocuous.

I agree with gizmo980, words can be very hurtful. Unlike a physical injury, which in time dissipates, a word can leave a permanent mental scar; in particular, when dealing with children. I received many spankings (nothing abusive) as a child, which left no scars, and were soon forgotten. Conversely, there are certain childhood experiences involving hurtful words which I can recall to this day.

Great post, AnUnidentifiedMale!
Trip? I think of acid, LSD. lol

The problem with words is that you have to let them roll off your back (if you're an adult), or else you'd go crazy just about every day when you hear something "offensive". You have to note the emotion you're getting, and stop it in its tracks before you stress yourself out.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Trip? I think of acid, LSD. lol

The problem with words is that you have to let them roll off your back (if you're an adult), or else you'd go crazy just about every day when you hear something "offensive". You have to note the emotion you're getting, and stop it in its tracks before you stress yourself out.
Wow, I forgot about that.

I agree; as an adult, I try to simply consider the source. However, I believe we should choose our words wisely.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

I think the opposite is true. If a person uses a loaded word, you need to recognize is as underlying part of the expression. The words you choose are shorthand for entire paragraphs that describe what you really want to say. If a person uses the N word, we all interpret that to say a great deal about the general social philosophy of the speaker.

When teaching English as a foreign language, there was always the problem of distinguishing "wish" and "hope". You wish for the impossible, and hope for the possible. Thoughtful students would ask "What if you don't know if it is possible or not?" Then, you guess, and your choice of words reflects your opinion.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,501,188 times
The is nothing without a word for it - not even "God."

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,347,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think the opposite is true. If a person uses a loaded word, you need to recognize is as underlying part of the expression. The words you choose are shorthand for entire paragraphs that describe what you really want to say. If a person uses the N word, we all interpret that to say a great deal about the general social philosophy of the speaker.

When teaching English as a foreign language, there was always the problem of distinguishing "wish" and "hope". You wish for the impossible, and hope for the possible. Thoughtful students would ask "What if you don't know if it is possible or not?" Then, you guess, and your choice of words reflects your opinion.
Sure, you recognize it for what it is, but if it's "offensive" to you, you ignore it. Otherwise, you'd drive yourself crazy. I'd be in a nuthouse by now if I let words bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies