Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,221,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
reported where? the daily kossack?

i'm not seeing this in any mainstream press.
Iraq to probe 'custody abuse' of Bush shoe assailant

Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 AM

167 posts, read 453,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
reported where? the daily kossack?

i'm not seeing this in any mainstream press.
No, watching MSNBC.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
He's Iraqi. He works for Al-Baghdadia TV, an Iraqi-owned channel based in Cairo.

Of course he wouldnt have thrown a shoe at Saddam. You should be applauding that he felt free enough to express his feelings to the liberator of his country. Now if Bush will just speak up on his behalf about the great strides made in Iraq for freedom of speech and the wonderful new fair and humane treatment prisoners receive in custody that would be an even better promotion of Pax Americana.

The Associated Press: Family: Shoe thrower hates both US, Iran roles
But would you high-five him, delu? Somehow, I seriously doubt it.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,219,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Why? Because you don't want to be bothered with facts?
It's explained in the sentence before the one you bolded. Back up just a bit. And try to add something substantive to the discussion, rather than just pathetic one-liners.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
You really think a mass murdering war criminal responsible for the deaths and mutilation of hundreds of thousands of innocent people, brutalization of an entire nation (that would include pollution with depleted uranium responsible for countless hideous deformities, destruction of a nation that was the enemy of our enemies (ie Iran and al Quaeda), destruction of infrastructure necessary for a functioning society like electricity, sewage, water, roads, the funneling of TRILLIONS $$$ into the pockets of his well connected military cronies and the bankrupting of a nation (that would be us) deserves respect? The least he deserves is a shoe in the face.
You should disconnect your Daily Kos brain wire feed. You are really way out of touch with reality.

BTW, the person you are describing matches Saddam WAY more than it could ever compare to Bush. Your "hundreds of thousands" is not only unsubstantiated, but to arrive at any kind of high number you must include the number of deaths and mutilations caused by the terrorist who enjoy causing civilian death and despair because it wins them sympathy from people who are mindless bots.

Quote:
"Under Saddam, there were no rights of appeal," Kardom said. "I begged them to stop as they beat me. It only inspired them to beat me harder."

An Iraqi soldier, who according to the facility's records witnessed the beatings, said interrogators regularly used pliers to remove men's teeth, electric prods to shock men's genitals and drills to cut holes in their ankles.

In one instance, the soldier recalled, he witnessed a Kuwaiti soldier, who had been captured during the 1991 Persian Gulf War, being forced to sit on a broken Pepsi bottle. The man was removed from the bottle only after it filled up with his blood, the soldier said. He said the man later died.

"I have seen interrogators break the heads of men with baseball bats, pour salt into wounds and rape wives in front of their husbands," said former Iraqi soldier Ali Iyad Kareen, 41.

USATODAY.com - Iraqis pour out tales of Saddam's torture chambers

Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,326,158 times
No, it's way too late for that mending process.
from news reports I saw yesterday, the greater portion of iraqi's hate us, as well as other nations, UK, etc..
but, iraqi government has made some progress, out of the 11 critical policies they were to implement, about 7 have, and the other 4 deal with security, and other issues, before they can truly govern themselves alone without our or anyone else's assistance.
because the shoe thrower was beat to a pulp, I don't see the iraqi government stepping foreward condemning the actions, however, we as americans know what it's like when police brutality charges are leveled at any government level in the USA, rodney king being beat to hell is a good example. the authorities can denounce the brutality all they want, but the citizenry won't have any of it.
we could possibly see a reversal of progress made in iraq if the citizens get out of hand again.
It's my opinion bush should not have gone to visit iraq, he might have inflamed the general population of iraqi's by doing so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Do you think Bush should step up now and say something warm and fuzzy about freedom of speech and the fair and civilized justice system Iraqis now enjoy? Or al-Maliki? I think it's a great opportunity to strengthen freedom and communication, move toward transparency in the police system, etc.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,326,158 times
Please do some more research. iraqi's have been dying at about the same rate or more over the past few years, as they did when hussein ruled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
You should disconnect your Daily Kos brain wire feed. You are really way out of touch with reality.

BTW, the person you are describing matches Saddam WAY more than it could ever compare to Bush. Your "hundreds of thousands" is not only unsubstantiated, but to arrive at any kind of high number you must include the number of deaths and mutilations caused by the terrorist who enjoy causing civilian death and despair because it wins them sympathy from people who are mindless bots.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,221,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
It's explained in the sentence before the one you bolded. Back up just a bit. And try to add something substantive to the discussion, rather than just pathetic one-liners.
Why don't you try to discuss things in a civil manner for a change?

What you explained in the prior sentence was basically an admission that you could be proven wrong with the facts. Then you said, "Don't bother."

The meaning behind "don't bother" is pretty obvious.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
thanks.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildManneredBruceWayne View Post
I can understand the SS feeling lax about security because perhaps they felt they were in a semi-controlled environment w accredited journalists. ...............Whatever the reason I can perhaps accept the SS not reacting as soon as the first shoe was thrown but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the U.S. Secret Service not stopping -by whatever means necessary- the thrower from throwing the second shoe ! ..........
Wow, good point. Had not even thought of that. Saw the men beside the thrower (assume were other reporters) react and grab the man but you are soooo right about the Secret Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies