Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:55 PM

179 posts, read 119,934 times

Advertisements

I was with my husband at a fundraiser gala for his work, and we were sitting at a table with several of his colleagues and associates. One of them, after a few too many drinks, started making homophobic statements and jokes.

After he was done, he said, "How 'bout them gays". And without hesistation, infront of everyone, I said "Our daughter is gay, and I don't think you're in any place to judge her that way".

There was a gasp at the table and everyone went quiet. The guy making the jokes got completely red, got quiet and didn't say much for the rest of the dinner.

Several others came up to me after the dinner and expressed their sorrow that someone could say such things. What do some of you people have against gays?

Just leave them alone. You taunt them, you try and limit their rights, you make fun of them? Why? If you're such a Christian, you'd know the Bible teaches tolerance and LOVE, not hate.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay59 View Post
I was with my husband at a fundraiser gala for his work, and we were sitting at a table with several of his colleagues and associates. One of them, after a few too many drinks, started making homophobic statements and jokes.

After he was done, he said, "How 'bout them gays". And without hesistation, infront of everyone, I said "Our daughter is gay, and I don't think you're in any place to judge her that way".

There was a gasp at the table and everyone went quiet. The guy making the jokes got completely red, got quiet and didn't say much for the rest of the dinner.

Several others came up to me after the dinner and expressed their sorrow that someone could say such things. What do some of you people have against gays?

Just leave them alone. You taunt them, you try and limit their rights, you make fun of them? Why? If you're such a Christian, you'd know the Bible teaches tolerance and LOVE, not hate.
Great point, but I don't think that this is the correct forum to post that particular topic in.

Mods?

Old 05-13-2007, 05:00 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times
Quote:

You are right and wrong about the Christian view on tolerance.
First, and foremost, a Christian should never poke fun at anyone, you know who Christians are by their actions not by their claims.
The Word of God is specific on this.
Secondly, I am sorry someone hurt you that way, your daughter is precious to you, no matter what. Even if you did not agree with her lifestyle, you would love her regardless, people can be so stupid and do not think before they often say words that can injure.

Now for the tolerance part, no where in God's Word are we taught to tolerate sin, as Christians, who follow God's Word we believe that homosexuality is sin, but if one is not a Christian, we are in no way to judge that person on any sin. (Crimes are another matter).

We are to love even those we disagree with. I have all sorts of friends, some are gay, I love them, they are dear to me, but judge them never, it is not my place.

MBG

Last edited by midnightbirdgirl; 05-13-2007 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-13-2007, 05:07 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Lindsay - I'm sorry about what happened and I applaud you for standing up for your daughter. I hear people make racial comments and rarely do I ever say anything. The guy was drunk and made an idiot remark - not that I'm condoning what he did - but I hope you've been able to get past it. IMO, when drunk ppl make insensitive remarks like that, they're saying things that they feel inside but are too chicken to ever voice it sober. Be proud of yourself that you stood up to him and move on. He's not worth your time any longer.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
The reason why people disparage gays like that is primarily their own ignorance, but mostly because gays are the last group left to kick around. You can't openly joke negatively about nationality, race, or religion unless you're amongst friends who share your prejudices. People will insult the group least likely to be obviously represented. Any mixed group of people will resort to slandering whoever is lower than they are. It must meet some psychological need to have someone else, some group, to be better than. Apparently, gay people are the easiest to tear down, because, let's face it, no group stands up for them!

I was in a bookstore and I overheard this guy who spoke very much like Archie Bunker point out to his wife, "Look, honey, books that teach you how to be a ***!" I walked a couple feet to where he stood and gave him the evil eye. I really wish I could recall what I said, but it was a doozy, and he didn't say another word.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The reason why people disparage gays like that is primarily their own ignorance, but mostly because gays are the last group left to kick around. You can't openly joke negatively about nationality, race, or religion unless you're amongst friends who share your prejudices. People will insult the group least likely to be obviously represented. Any mixed group of people will resort to slandering whoever is lower than they are. It must meet some psychological need to have someone else, some group, to be better than. Apparently, gay people are the easiest to tear down, because, let's face it, no group stands up for them!

I was in a bookstore and I overheard this guy who spoke very much like Archie Bunker point out to his wife, "Look, honey, books that teach you how to be a ***!" I walked a couple feet to where he stood and gave him the evil eye. I really wish I could recall what I said, but it was a doozy, and he didn't say another word.
Good, I'm glad you gave him a piece of your mind! I for one will ALWAYS stand up for you, and hopefully there are many others like myself... that's one reason I love living where I do, since homophobic and bigoted behavior isn't tolerated by the majority.

Here another story... last week I conducted a book-talk at a local school (where we "plug" a few books, to make reading seem fun), and one happened to be about a gay young man. When I got to the part about him liking boys more than girls, one kid mumbled "f-----t" under his breath. The teacher immediately stepped in to reprimand him, saying that slurs weren't acceptable in her classroom. But I decided to use it as a jumping-point, to explain why that was wrong, and how much it could hurt somebody going through this experience. Then at the next class, I opened with the following - "I spoke to another class about this book earlier, and they were very immature about it... I assume you're all more mature, and able to handle topics that are of an adult nature." That certainly got their attention, and this time when I described the plot, all they said were positive things... one girl shouted out "It's okay if somebody is gay! I have a friend who is, and she's really cool!" So I think (especially with teenagers/kids) one good approach is to make them feel responsible for their actions. Some adults unfortunately act like children too, and we can't allow that behavior to be acceptable - otherwise it will only continue. Sorry this turned out so long!

And finally, here's an old saying, which I'm sure has been posted on here before...
"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
I was with my husband at a fundraiser gala for his work, and we were sitting at a table with several of his colleagues and associates. One of them, after a few too many drinks, started making homophobic statements and jokes...... If you're such a Christian, you'd know the Bible teaches tolerance and LOVE, not hate.
Lindsay, I know you're hurt and trying to work through this trying time in your life and you're upset with Christians, but looking at your post, I think if these two statements in your post are accurate about the situation in your OP, then it's pretty obvious this guy wasn't a 'model' Christian if a Christian at all.

What's the topic here? A drunk, loud-mouthed professing Christian, or more of the hurt from your thread in the religion forum?

Old 05-14-2007, 05:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
What do some of you people have against gays?
I can only speak for myself.

I just get a sick feeling when I think about sexual acts between two men. In that sense, you could say that I "have something against gays". I couldn't be less concerned about lesbians.

Does that make me an ignorant homophobe? I have all the facts I need, and I don't fear homosexuals.

What was the deal with Christians? Was the guy telling the jokes a Christian? That one came out of nowhere.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:20 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
I saw a bumper sticker today that read, "HOMOPHOBIA- A SOCIAL DISORDER." And I'm not sure that I completely agree.

I don't dislike all homosexuals. I dislike some homos who think they can't be one with society and feel they must "stick out" in every situation possible. It seems to me like they just are asking for attention. To me, that behavior seems like a "social disorder."

I also do not like how some homosexual communities have a disregard for families. Even the smallest, quaintest gay towns have some of the dirtiest happenings.. Video bars, thongs, prostitutes.. You'd be suprised. To me, those activities seem ignorant.

If they're not involved with any of that stuff then I likely don't have any problem with them.

Last edited by ontheroad; 07-31-2007 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: add full word, homosexuals in response to member's request

Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
So many folks are ignorant. They may be ignorant of what they don't know or don't understand.

In this illustration, I suspect the person is neither ignorant or uninformed, but just likes to make bad jokes about people he feels or felt were any easy target. It happens everywhere, and it happens here, too.

And while I am a proponent of gay rights, and support the rights of all, I don't think that those against homosexuality are ignorant. They elect and selectively chose what they like and dislike just as I elect and select to support homosexual rights, and in particular the growing number of gay couples that wish a legal union.

You are anger, and protective of your daughter. I would be too, but you'll meet many other people like that man at dinner, and inasmuch as known of them knows your personal story, they will inadvertently say similar anti-gay things to upset you.

You may need to find some armour, least you be upset too frequently. But rant away here, if necessary, I'll listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.