Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you legalize gay marriage??
Yes 80 62.02%
No 49 37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:53 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
"Why can't gays just be happy with civil unions?"

Well let's see -- why can't heteros just be happy with civil unions?
That's always been my answer. If you don't think gays should be allowed to marry, then lets do away with marriage altogether. We can have civil unions for everyone. I mean if you're straight and married and can't understand why a couple in love want to be married then let's just get rid of marriage.

And I don't buy into the whole 'marriage should be kept to a man and woman because it's in the bible' thing either. 50% of marriages these days wind up in divorce. That's not in the bible as an accepted thing is it? And how about - what's the latest statistic out there now - 70% or so of marriages deal with infidelity. What's the bible say about that? Face it, marriage isn't what it was back in the day. Times have changed and that biblical ideal of marriage is gone in most cases.

I've also heard the 'if you allow gays to marry, what next? Siblings, parents and children, adults to under age kids, people to adults?' I think that's an easy one; marriage shall be between two consenting adult humans of the mental capacity to understand the concept, or something to that effect. If you aren't able to make a clear and concise decision, if you aren't an adult, and if you aren't human you don't get married. Heck, I'd even drop the 'two' from the statement. What do I care if 10 people are in love and want to be married to each other. It's not hurting me in the least and doesn't change what my marriage is at all, so why should I be able to tell them they can't.

Quote:
These far left morons has killed all the advancement the LGBT community made towards sharing their life with the mate of their choice.
Um, I'm actually a Republican / conservative voter and I support gay marriage. So don't blame it all on 'far left morons'. I just happen to lean left on several social issues, but feel that when it comes to the things I think keep the country safe like foreign policy, fiscal issues, etc., I lean right so that's how I vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Yeah, just like Blacks could marry other Blacks and Whites could marry other Whites. But neither could mix.

Equality. You're doing it wrong.
Sexual orientation is NOT the same as race. You can change your sexual orientation (I know two folks that have done this) but cannot change your race.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Sexual orientation is NOT the same as race. You can change your sexual orientation (I know two folks that have done this) but cannot change your race.
Hey MsConnie,

Just wanted to point out one thing about your statement.

It is in my belief that the two folks you know who have changed their sexuality were never gay/lesbian to begin with. Maybe they were curious, dated around, etc....

But they were not gay. Would you be able to change your sexual orientation just like that? Same with people who are actually gay/lesbian and not just curious.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
As a hetero I would gladly give up state-based marriage for a civil union instead. Let churches issue "marriage," or nonreligious people can have ceremonies any way they want. Let the state hand out civil unions only, for the benefits. It's just wording anyway. What a perfect compromise...
Did anyone else catch this?? I love this idea and think it would solve all the problems.

Anyone, gay or straight can get a certificate for a civil union, what we now call marriage. That levels the playing field. For those looking for a religious ceremony / union, you then have your 'wedding' in your church or where ever you choose to marry. There are plenty churches that will allow gay marriage, so if you are marrying your own sex it's not a problem for you there either.

I think this is just brilliant!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Hey MsConnie,

Just wanted to point out one thing about your statement.

It is in my belief that the two folks you know who have changed their sexuality were never gay/lesbian to begin with. Maybe they were curious, dated around, etc....

But they were not gay. Would you be able to change your sexual orientation just like that? Same with people who are actually gay/lesbian and not just curious.
One of the men was in a long term homosexual relationship so this wasn't a fly by night type of experimentation. He is now happily married in a heterosexual marriage. Although I have no desires to change my sexual preferences; if I wanted to, I could.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
One of the men was in a long term homosexual relationship so this wasn't a fly by night type of experimentation. He is now happily married in a heterosexual marriage. Although I have no desires to change my sexual preferences; if I wanted to, I could.
I see. Perhaps the man was bisexual? Bisexual could mean he was in a gay relationship but also liking women as well?

Not sure if I can agree on how you say you can change sexuality. I know several people who have gone through hell and forth for being gay. I know that people would not ever want to bring that upon themselves. I even have a friend who was very upset saying that he tried to like women but he simply cannot no matter how much he tried. For some reason, I do not feel he can change his sexuality. He got beat up, his parents stopped talking to him, and everything....I really think if he wanted to change, this would be the time for him to change but he did not.

I am curious, I can see it from your point of view even if I do not agree with it. Can you see it from mine point of view at all?

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Although I have no desires to change my sexual preferences; if I wanted to, I could
How is it possible to change your preferences?? By definition, a preference is a selecting of someone or something over others. If you select one thing over others, how can you say you'll just change it?

So, if you have always preferred pecan pie but for whatever reason you're told it's 'bad', you can just instantly say 'well, now I don't prefer pecan pie anymore, I have decided to prefer pumpkin pie'. How??

I just don't understand that I guess. I mean, in this country it's pretty tough to be gay. So who wakes up one Monday morning and thinks 'ya know, I think I'm gonna be gay and see how that works out for me'. I just don't see that being a choice. I understand being bi. I understand being curious and trying it out for a bit and it doesn't work out. My HR Director was married for nearly 20 years to a guy that finally admitted he was gay. 20 years of marriage and a child; he tried to be straight. But if you are born something, you can't just wake up and decide to change and be something you're not. I don't see why it's an issue for people that aren't involved in it. That's like me deciding that I don't really want to be American Indian and Irish anymore, so when I wake up I'm going to be Asian. You just can't do that!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
How is it possible to change your preferences?? By definition, a preference is a selecting of someone or something over others. If you select one thing over others, how can you say you'll just change it?

So, if you have always preferred pecan pie but for whatever reason you're told it's 'bad', you can just instantly say 'well, now I don't prefer pecan pie anymore, I have decided to prefer pumpkin pie'. How??
Where there's a will, there's a way ...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Where there's a will, there's a way ...
But you're not saying how. Just saying there's a way doesn't make it so. If I say I want to grow a horn in the middle of my head and be a unicorn and where there's a will there's a way I can??

This isn't a matter of trying to find a little extra strength in you to run that last mile in a marathon.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I see. Perhaps the man was bisexual? Bisexual could mean he was in a gay relationship but also liking women as well?

Not sure if I can agree on how you say you can change sexuality. I know several people who have gone through hell and forth for being gay. I know that people would not ever want to bring that upon themselves. I even have a friend who was very upset saying that he tried to like women but he simply cannot no matter how much he tried. For some reason, I do not feel he can change his sexuality. He got beat up, his parents stopped talking to him, and everything....I really think if he wanted to change, this would be the time for him to change but he did not.

I am curious, I can see it from your point of view even if I do not agree with it. Can you see it from mine point of view at all?
I can see your point of view and I never claimed that changing one's sexual preferences is easy and they have to want to change and not be forced to change to meet expectations. At the same time, I think that if a person wanted to change, then society should not discourage that person by telling him/her that they are born that way and that change is not possible ... which I believe is a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies