Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Pro-life 66 35.68%
Pro-choice 119 64.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM

648 posts, read 1,641,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Which your choice, and I respect that. Part of being pro-choice and all.

Tell that to my wife, who nearly died as the result of her pregnancy and now can never deliver vaginally ever again. Not to mention the other irreversible effects that it had on her body. Pregnancy is a very dangerous thing that a woman can go through,with a whole list of nasty side effects. I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for a woman not to put her body through that.

I'd say different. Abortion is currently the only way to end an unwanted pregnancy that can be a huge inconvenience in a person's life.

Just like driving a car=getting in a car wreck? Procreation isn't the only, or even the main reason, for having sex.

Which still has a failure rate.
Well whatever - this issue will always be argued. It is never going to have a black and white answer. You just don't know unless you are in that situation what is going to be the best way to go. So unless you plan on getting pregnant any time soon why the heck do you even care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I'm thankful that my biological mother did not have your attitude even thought she faced lots of hardship to have me ... even though I had lots of genetic factors going against me ... etc. I'm a living testimony that a babies should be given a chance at life.
Which was her choice. You cannot, and should not, expect everyone to abide by the same choice your mother made.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Except the couple might not be in the position to have the child. It's not as easy as you make it sound. Not everyone can drop what they're doing to bear a child. Nor should they be expected to. A woman should not have to go through 9 months of hell for a child she doesn't want, even if the father wants the child. I say this as a male and as a father.

And I'll reiterate a point I just made: The adoption system is already broken. I don't think we need to add any more children into it.
And I will reiterate the point that there is a distinction between foster care and adoption agencies. They are not the same, and to keep confusing the two is ridiculous. But what the hell? Maybe someone might learn something beyond scare tactics. Now, there are exceptions to everything, but to make it as simple as possible for those of you that apprently need it -- here are the differences between adoption agencies and the foster care system.

If a woman were to make an adoption plan either prior to birth or afterwards -- and yes, I am talking toddler aged child -- she would go to either an agency or a private adoption attorney. She will chose the adoptive parents for her child, and she will also chose who much (or little) contact that she wants with that child. And yes, peopel will adopt babies that are not white, and babies that have minor to significant delays or problems.

Now, if foster care is involved, it is because the bio parents never wanted to make an adoption plan for their child, and instead abused/neglected it. Once in the system, the states mandate is family reunification at all costs. By the time parental rights have been terminated, many years and more abuses have happened to said child.

I hope this has finally cleared up the misconception that many people have that only blonde/blue eyed babies are adopted and that there are orphanages teeming with adoptable children in the US.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
Well whatever - this issue will always be argued. It is never going to have a black and white answer. You just don't know unless you are in that situation what is going to be the best way to go. So unless you plan on getting pregnant any time soon why the heck do you even care?
Let me let you in on a dirty little secret.

I've been in that situation.

As for why the heck I care, it's simple:

I love and support my wife with all of my being. And I don't want to see anyone take away her right to end a pregnancy early. Because I don't want to see her die giving birth. She is more important to me than anything.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 PM

648 posts, read 1,641,761 times
Quote:
Let me let you in on a dirty little secret.

I've been in that situation.

As for why the heck I care, it's simple:

I love and support my wife with all of my being. And I don't want to see anyone take away her right to end a pregnancy early. Because I don't want to see her die giving birth. She is more important to me than anything.
Ok, there's the simple answer for you then. I'm not trying to be nasty but you don't want children and you don't want your wife to go through the pain when it isn't what you want in your life together. Why don't you do something about it? Make it to where you can not have children. They make is simple and painless. I think it is wonderful that you love your wife but why even bother to take the chance?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
Ok, there's the simple answer for you then. I'm not trying to be nasty but you don't want children and you don't want your wife to go through the pain when it isn't what you want in your life together. Why don't you do something about it? Make it to where you can not have children. They make is simple and painless. I think it is wonderful that you love your wife but why even bother to take the chance?
Exactly. Abortions aren't the safest thing so if the wife mortality was an issue for Langlen, then sterilization would be a better choice than running the risk of the wife getting pregnant.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And I will reiterate the point that there is a distinction between foster care and adoption agencies. They are not the same, and to keep confusing the two is ridiculous. But what the hell? Maybe someone might learn something beyond scare tactics. Now, there are exceptions to everything, but to make it as simple as possible for those of you that apprently need it -- here are the differences between adoption agencies and the foster care system.

If a woman were to make an adoption plan either prior to birth or afterwards -- and yes, I am talking toddler aged child -- she would go to either an agency or a private adoption attorney. She will chose the adoptive parents for her child, and she will also chose who much (or little) contact that she wants with that child. And yes, peopel will adopt babies that are not white, and babies that have minor to significant delays or problems.

Now, if foster care is involved, it is because the bio parents never wanted to make an adoption plan for their child, and instead abused/neglected it. Once in the system, the states mandate is family reunification at all costs. By the time parental rights have been terminated, many years and more abuses have happened to said child.

I hope this has finally cleared up the misconception that many people have that only blonde/blue eyed babies are adopted and that there are orphanages teeming with adoptable children in the US.
I apologize for mixing up adoption agencies and foster care, but here's an interesting look at racism in adoption: Crossing Over | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet

Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Exactly. Abortions aren't the safest thing so if the wife mortality was an issue for Langlen, then sterilization would be a better choice than running the risk of the wife getting pregnant.
I love how everyone is making judgments about other people's situations that they have never been in. How can you know anything about this person's true situation from reading a couple posts? Nothing is black and white although you always seem to wish it were msconnie.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:52 PM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
I'm a living testimony that a babies should be given a chance at life.
You are a living testimony that women should be given a choice over their reproduction. Your mother made the decision that was right for her. Sadly, there are too many dead, abused, neglected infants and children and women out there that are also a testimony that women should be given a choice.

If you take reproductive decisions away from women and give them to a third party governing force what is to stop these decision from doing a turn around. Lets say instead of just making abortion illegal, the government can force abortion if they decide a particular woman should not conceive or carry to term? Would you still be anit-choice.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Against it in all cases. Believe it should be banned. Believe abortion doctors should get life in prison with a possibility of parole. Believe women who seek out abortions voluntarily should receive jail time as well for murder.
You must have a penis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies