Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 11:40 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I never said it was fine. I know you can read. Don't try to fool me.

And I never said that it's an "atrocity" if gays don't get "their way".

I don't even look at this as a "gay versus straight" issue. As so many conveniently like to forget, 48% of Californians voted to retain same-sex marriage rights. It would be great if 48% of Californians were gay (), but that's not the case. There were a LOT of straight people who voted to keep same-sex marriage.

So, it's not a matter of gays getting their way, it's a matter of wanting to see everyone treated with respect and dignity.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 PM

73 posts, read 89,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So..who is forcing you to have a gay marriage or be gay against your will? Nobody is forcing you to go along with gay marriage (like you are not going along with it now) so chill.

And the rights also mentioned PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. Oh let me guess. It applies only to straight couples and Christians!

Does the pursuit of happiness mean I can do anything I want as long as it makes me happy?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM

73 posts, read 89,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why do you look at this as an issue of straight versus gay, of "us versus them"?

Did you miss all the news coverage after the last election? Most people do not want the definition of marriage changed to include same sex marriages. "US" don't want it.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDIWHOHAH View Post
Does the pursuit of happiness mean I can do anything I want as long as it makes me happy?
Yes as long as it does not harm others. You should know this. And I bet I know why you said this.

Because you were going to ask if child molesters and rapists should do what they do as long as it made them happy.

Newsflash-homosexuality does not hurt anyone while those two things do.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
Quote:
Did you miss all the news coverage after the last election? Most people do not want the definition of marriage changed to include same sex marriages. "US" don't want it.
So the majority should rule over the minority?

That does not fair and does not give every single citizen of the USA equal rights. So what about the liberty and justice for all?

It does not exist unless you are straight, white, or Christian I suppose.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
That still doesn't explain why you see it as a gay versus straight issue. Do I have to repeat myself? Forty-eight percent of the state voted to retain same-sex marriage rights; this is pretty good proof that it wasn't a straight versus gay issue.

If it had been straight versus gay, the vote would have been something like 90-10.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
It was wrong of them to do this to the Church but I can see why they did it.

I would be very angry if people voted on my right to marry and I would expect the Churches to put up a fight if they pumped millions into this.

Overall, it was wrong but I can see why it happened. I wish none of these things happened.
Homosexuals can marry. Just not members of the same sex. Like everybody else.

The sodomofascists who did this ought to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. So much for the perverted social liberal idea of "tolerance".

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Homosexuals can marry. Just not members of the same sex. Like everybody else.
Except in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Canada, Belgium, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain, and South Africa, where they can marry members of the same sex.

Your closed-minded, obstinate, obnoxious, homophobic response has been repeated here about 1000 times, by the way. It's doesn't further the conversation at all.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
So the majority should rule over the minority?

That does not fair and does not give every single citizen of the USA equal rights. So what about the liberty and justice for all?

It does not exist unless you are straight, white, or Christian I suppose.

Friend, I didn't vote for Obama and would have preferred for McCain to have won the election. I'm sure you're quite shocked to learn that. Well, that puts me in the minority. The majority over ruled me and my Republican friends. I still have equal rights. I can still vote for whichever candidates I like. Next time around I may be on the winning side. But we only have one president just like we only have one definition of marriage. Right now, my side has prevailed on the definition of marriage. While the Constitution is presently silent on the issue, it is established in law in almost all the states and even the federal government has a DOMA that was signed into law by Bill Clinton. It's what the majority have decided they want. Making up pretend rights as though the Founders simply forgot to write down gay marriage in the Bill of Rights is ridiculous and insults our common intelligence.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Everything changes over time, and people's ideas about what is fair and what is right are evolving.

As most of us have acknowledged, it's just a matter of time before same-sex marriage is legal across the country, and again in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies