Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDIWHOHAH View Post
Besides five activist justices legislating from the bench
Those 5 highly educated justices are there to protect people like ME from people like YOU pushing your RULES and perspectives onto me.
And I'm not gay.
But I am smart enough to know that even though I DON'T LIKE SOMETHING- other people may not agree with me and have the right to like it.

My favorite ice cream is Rock Road so should I be allowed to make a law saying ONLY Rocky Road can be sold as ice cream. That's it, no other flavors? Of course not, I am intelligent to know that everyone has different TASTES and that My favorite is not your favorite.

The same goes with LOVE and attraction and desire.
I love one type of guy and get all hot over it.
My sister, not so much. She likes ANOTHER type of guy.
And maybe my other sister LIKE GIRLS.

Who are you to tell us what type we "should" like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So the majority should rule over the minority?

That does not fair and does not give every single citizen of the USA equal rights. So what about the liberty and justice for all?

It does not exist unless you are straight, white, or Christian I suppose.
White Christians aren't the only ones that oppose gay marriage or homosexuality so it would be nice if the pro-gay crowd would quit acting like it. If it were only white folks that were against homosexual marriage, then Prop 8 would never had passed.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Friend, I didn't vote for Obama and would have preferred for McCain to have won the election. I'm sure you're quite shocked to learn that. Well, that puts me in the minority. The majority over ruled me and my Republican friends. I still have equal rights. I can still vote for whichever candidates I like. Next time around I may be on the winning side. But we only have one president just like we only have one definition of marriage. Right now, my side has prevailed on the definition of marriage. While the Constitution is presently silent on the issue, it is established in law in almost all the states and even the federal government has a DOMA that was signed into law by Bill Clinton. It's what the majority have decided they want. Making up pretend rights as though the Founders simply forgot to write down gay marriage in the Bill of Rights is ridiculous and insults our common intelligence.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

Would you feel just as outraged if the grafitti were anti-gay slogans? Somehow I doubt it.
You weren't speaking to me but I thought that I would reply. I would have been outraged had it been anti-gay slogans grafittied as I think it's wrong for people to get persecuted for their stance on issues. If they are pro gay marriage, let them advocate peacefully. If they are anti gay marriage, let them advocate peacefully. We live in the US and people should not be punished for how they vote or contribute to any ballot issue as that should be a private matter. I don't care which businesses or individuals voted against prop 8 and I would still associate with them or patronize their businesses. It's a shame that the other side is so vindictive as apparent in the other thread about publicizing the names of those who donated.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
hahahahah.....are you serious? of course the majority should rule you stinking genius. you might as well take away our right to vote if you think that way about the majority ruling. i'm sure if the majority voted FOR gay marriage you wouldn't be saying that. you liberals sure are weird. i seriously have a hard time coming DOWN to your level of thinking.
Exactly! If the majority decided on gay marriage or voted down prop 8, then the liberals would be all for majority rule then. Ironic.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
You weren't speaking to me but I thought that I would reply. I would have been outraged had it been anti-gay slogans grafittied as I think it's wrong for people to get persecuted for their stance on issues. If they are pro gay marriage, let them advocate peacefully. If they are anti gay marriage, let them advocate peacefully. We live in the US and people should not be punished for how they vote or contribute to any ballot issue as that should be a private matter. I don't care which businesses or individuals voted against prop 8 and I would still associate with them or patronize their businesses. It's a shame that the other side is so vindictive as apparent in the other thread about publicizing the names of those who donated.
What other side? The yes on 8 campaign was threatening businesses to out them if they did not contribute an equal amount to their campaign. Now some supporters of No on 8 want to boycott businesses that donated to the yes campaign. Its quid pro quo on both sides making attempts to expose contributors. Period.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Most churches do not turn a profit and much of the tithes go towards overhead and missionary work.
or paying for all those priest-child abuse lawsuits..

but i digress..

have not paged through the entire thread but the church targeted is a gay friendly church with many gay members - and I am sure they were not pleased with what happened. Don't blame the actions of a radical few on an entirety. Has it even been determined who did the crime? It could have come from either side. One in protest at its passage, the other to stir controversy. Either way, not acceptable.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
or paying for all those priest-child abuse lawsuits..

but i digress..

have not paged through the entire thread but the church targeted is a gay friendly church with many gay members - and I am sure they were not pleased with what happened. Don't blame the actions of a radical few on an entirety. Has it even been determined who did the crime? It could have come from either side. One in protest at its passage, the other to stir controversy. Either way, not acceptable.
I even stated earlier in this thread that the perpetrators and motive have not been determined in this case. If it were in fact prop 8 protesters, then they should be ashamed for setting their movement back with this act of vandalism. As I know several pastors personally (non-Catholic), I know for a fact that they do not turn a profit and are struggling just to meet operational expenses and support missionary work within the community. As another poster mentioned my ignorance about gay-related matters, I'd say that many posters on here are blatantly ignorant about Christianity and the good it has done for our society. Remove the churches and many would suffer as programs serving the needy would no longer exist.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Hate crime that only reenforces many peoples view.Gays that claim this is eqaul to voting your opinion are just as much to blame for fostering that as equal. They can;t expect anyone you feel sorry for them when they are bashed ;harrassed IMO.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I even stated earlier in this thread that the perpetrators and motive have not been determined in this case. If it were in fact prop 8 protesters, then they should be ashamed for setting their movement back with this act of vandalism. As I know several pastors personally (non-Catholic), I know for a fact that they do not turn a profit and are struggling just to meet operational expenses and support missionary work within the community. As another poster mentioned my ignorance about gay-related matters, I'd say that many posters on here are blatantly ignorant about Christianity and the good it has done for our society. Remove the churches and many would suffer as programs serving the needy would no longer exist.
Like all religions Christianity has done good and some bad to many countries.
BTW I wasn't disagreeing with you...
I do think it odd that a gay friendly church was targeted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies