Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post

Guess I'm overprotective of my kids. I know what drugs can do to you. But if they become legal, guess I'll just have to step it up to protect them.

...oh and keep reminding your kids of the forbidden fruit while you're at it. bear in mind that human nature hasn't changed since the 'garden of eden'!

there is a solution though. get them implanted with chips so you can monitor their movements. lobby congress to move towards a cashless society so you can monitor what they spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Is everyone forgetting the long term affects of pot smoking? I sure as hell dont want my kids experiencing them. My kids are taught that drugs are bad and now how would I explain to them why they shouldn't use it if they become legalized? "Well....honey, those that passed the law are morons and don't give a damn about the welfare and health of the community anymore".
There is no long term effect from marijuana. Its effects fade away completely.

Tell your kids that adults have freedom, and even though it is not a good idea to use marijuana, it is not the government's place to decide. Kids still know there is an age requirement. It's not like they are confused about alcohol or tobacco because they are legal...

But keep hiding the facts that weed is safer than legal alcohol, (inconsistencies in law enforce this misconception) and when they do find out about reality they will question your judgment about weed even more cynically. Just be honest and fair, it's the best policy.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A~pyff~any View Post
First, Marijuana smoking has been proven to be relatively harmless & orally taken cannabis has been proven to be good for you (fights cancer, has anti-oxidants, omega fatty acids, neuroprotectants, etc..) & has killed ZERO people.

What your not understanding here is the fact that marijuana is illegal makes it easier for kids to get their hands on it. Im 19 & when I was in middle school I could find someone who was selling marijuana within 15 minutes & even in one instance crack & meth (wasn't interested) in school, this was 7th grade, mind you.

All drugs need to be regulated like alcohol (21 & older) except weed which should be 18 and older, the reason being is this: When drugs are kept legal & regulated people get carded, whereas in the blackmarket your neighborhood weed dealer will sell to any high schooler. Marijuana & other drugs were easier to get in my high school years than alcohol.

Legalization is not about agreeing with drug use. Its about harm reduction

this is irrelevent. we live in a 'free country'. what gives anyone the right to tell anyone else what they may or may not drink, swallow, inject, snort or smoke of their own free will?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I remember in high school it was much easier to get weed than alcohol. Dealers of illegal drugs don't card. Legalize and regulate, for the kids.

i'm kinda moving away from this whole regulate for the kids route too. kids are the responsibilty of their parents. i think part of the obsession our kids have with alcohol is because of this forbidden fruit aspect. when i'm in continental europe i find that the laissez faire attitude to booze is the reason they hardly have a teen/young adult booze problem. in the minds of european youth drunks are seen for what they are ie 'pitiful idiots' and not 'cool individuals'

Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Legalize tha weed?

It's WAY past time to do it,but chances are it'll never happen....to many deadbeats in the govt's jobs depend on the fact that it's illegal.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 AM

270 posts, read 626,525 times
Kere, one only needs to review the reports and studies of what has happened and IS happening in Amsterdam and San Francisco and that is just two cities. This is not a new issue it has been debated and studied in the 60's, 70's and 80's. As for the cigarette and criminal activity, one only needs to travel to the East Coast. It appears that you dont read much or choose to ignore facts that dont suit you. Good luck with the Cheech and Chong mentality, perhaps at some point you will learn it is fiction not reality.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Normally I would be all for it. Not because I use it myself, but rather a drop in the Marijuana price means that that other more destructive drugs become less appealing (Cocaine, Heroine, Meth).

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Kere, one only needs to review the reports and studies of what has happened and IS happening in Amsterdam and San Francisco and that is just two cities. This is not a new issue it has been debated and studied in the 60's, 70's and 80's. As for the cigarette and criminal activity, one only needs to travel to the East Coast. It appears that you dont read much or choose to ignore facts that dont suit you. Good luck with the Cheech and Chong mentality, perhaps at some point you will learn it is fiction not reality.
This is the second time you have stated that things aren't working and are worse in places with legalization but no links or proof. Just because you are saying this does not mean it's true. Give us some legit links with info please.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Legalize tha weed?

It's WAY past time to do it,but chances are it'll never happen....to many deadbeats in the govt's jobs depend on the fact that it's illegal.

That's for certain...you've got cops, judges, prison guards and all the other related jobs that need drugs to remain illegal.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I was all for it but here lately I've been seeing some of my families kids turn out to be worthless because all they want to do is smoke weed, it's got me wondering if I do want it legal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies