Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I guess their spoiled if having no job, living in a flop house between being homeless and owning whats on their back means spoiled which falls under my idea of being worthless. I don't blame the weed for their actions but I'm not sure if I think legalizing it would do anything good. You will still have drug testing at work so you can't just decide to start smoking without deciding what you want out of life and I wouldn't want someone to start hitting a blunt next to me and cost me my job. If smoking weed is the most important thing to a person then I guess they would be happy.
so we've established that it's probably the kids and not the dope. maybe you should write a letter to god and ask him why some people lack motivation. all of this is beside the point, lie i've said for the millionth time, this is a civil liberty issue and i don't think narrow minded administrators should be dictating what we may or may not smoke.

i don't know you roaddog. maybe you're a 2nd ammendment guy, maybe you're religious, maybe you enjoy writing on these forums, maybe lots of things. the reality is that obama will alter the 2nd ammendment for your safety, maybe the churches will be censored and maybe the govt will regulate what you may express here.

you might not like drugs like i don't like religion but when we start allowing dictators to prohibit things you don't like it's only one step away from them outlawing things that you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
AMA Full Text (http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/13625.html#major_proposed_medical_uses - broken link)

"In adopting (as amended) the recommendations in Council on Scientific Affairs (CSA) Report 10 (I-97), Medical Marijuana, the American Medical Association (AMA) House of Delegates established new policy on the issue of medical marijuana.1 At the time, this report represented the AMA’s contribution to the intensifying public debate on medical marijuana, which was fueled in part by ballot initiatives in California (Proposition 215) and Arizona (Proposition 200) that were intended to enhance access to marijuana for patients with selected medical conditions.2,3

Subsequently, in 1999 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) published a comprehensive report commissioned by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, entitled "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base."4 The findings in this report generally agreed with the CSA’s assessment of the evidence on the potential medical utility of synthetic and plant-derived cannabinoids. The IOM report also concurred with the CSA that further research on the medical utility of marijuana and individual cannabinoids was warranted and that resources should be devoted to developing alternate, smoke-free delivery systems (see Appendix). In contrast to the CSA, the IOM report supported the availability of a compassionate-use protocol as an interim measure.

Since then, new findings have been reported on the function of endogenous cannabinoid systems, additional studies and clinical trials have been conducted on the medical utility of marijuana, and several more states have passed ballot or legislative initiatives intended to facilitate patient access to medical marijuana. This report examines these new developments, evaluates progress (or lack thereof) with respect to the Council’s previous recommendations, and summarizes the current science base on medical marijuana. For more detailed information on the history of medical marijuana, the Controlled Substances Act and efforts to remove marijuana from Schedule I, regulatory issues involved in research and treatment involving marijuana, and analysis of earlier clinical trials investigating the medical utility of marijuana"

__________________________________________________ ____________

TOBACCO ........................ 400,000
ALCOHOL ........................ 100,000
ALL LEGAL DRUGS ................ 20,000
ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS .............. 15,000
CAFFEINE ....................... 2,000
ASPIRIN ........................ 500
MARIJUANA ...................... 0
----------------------------------------
Source: United States government...
National Institute on Drug Abuse,
Bureau of Mortality Statistics

__________________________________________________ _________

Marijuana may help stave off Alzheimer’s - Alzheimer's Disease- msnbc.com

__________________________________________________ __________

Skin churns out marijuana-like brain chemicals - Skin and beauty- msnbc.com
__________________________________________________ __________

Legalize, tax marijuana to fill budget gap

__________________________________________________ _______

The American College of Physicians Supports Therapeutic use of Marijuana

02/26/08
The American College of Physicians, with 124,000 doctors, the second-largest doctors group in the United States, issued a policy statement on medical marijuana endorsing the use of marijuana for medical purposes. They urge the government to roll back a prohibition on using it to treat patients and support studies to explore other medical applications. "Additional research is needed to clarify marijuana's therapeutic properties and determine standard and optimal doses and routes of delivery. Unfortunately, research expansion has been hindered by a complicated federal approval process, limited availability of research-grade marijuana and the debate over legalization," the group said.

For further info see the full article at: Doctors group backs marijuana for medical uses | Health | Reuters

__________________________________________________ ______________

penn and teller's bull**** drugs - Google Video

_________________-

HARMFUL? HELPFUL? - Los Angeles Times

The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences conducted a 15-month study of the health-related effects of marijuana in 1982. They appointed a 22-member committee to analyze existing scientific evidence bearing on the possible hazards to the health and safety of users of marijuana.

The report concludes: "the scientific evidence published to date indicates that marijuana has a broad range of psychological and biological effects, some of which, at least under certain circumstances, are harmful to human health".

In a companion report providing policy recommendations to the Academy's National Research Council, regulation of the marijuana market is advocated as the most effective method of controlling marijuana. The National Academy of Science's report rebuts many of the exaggerated claims made about marijuana.

1. Of the 421 chemicals in marijuana, only 61 are unique to marijuana. The chemicals are known as cannabinoids. One of them, delta-9 THC, produces the psychoactive effect and is the focus of most research. The other 360 chemicals in the marijuana plant are found throughout other natural substances.
2. The higher potency marijuana grown in the United States represents about half of all the marijuana consumed here. Because of it's higher potency many smokers use far less of it than less potent marijuana.
3. Differences in dosage and frequency of consumption render comparisons between marijuana and tobacco consumption invalid, despite similarity in the composition of their smoke. Marijuana smoke irritates the lungs. Heavy exposure of the lungs to irritation such as smoke increases the likelihood of lung cancer and other lung problems. Marijuana speeds the heartbeat and is unhealthy for people with high blood pressure or other cardiovascular ailments.
4. Marijuana does reduce the sperm count and obstruct sperm mobility in males within the normal range. These side-effects do not seem to affect human fertility, and are completely reversible thirty days after cessation of use. Marijuana, like other drugs, crosses the placenta. While the effects of this are unknown and there is no evidence that marijuana causes chromosome damage, we advise women to avoid the use of marijuana, tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs not prescribed by their physician during pregnancy and nursing.
5. The intoxicating chemical, THC, is broken down by the human metabolism after two or three hours in the body. The by-products of this chemical breakdown are referred to as metabolites. These metabolites are fat soluble, and take 21-30 days to leave the human body via the urine. These metabolites exert no psychoactive effect on the human body.
6. After reviewing all of the evidence, the Academy concluded: "There is not yet any conclusive evidence as to whether prolonged use of marijuana causes permanent changes in the nervous system or sustained impairment of brain function and behavior in human beings". "Interpretation of the evidence linking marijuana to 'amotivational syndrome' is difficult. Such symptoms have been known to occur in the absence of marijuana. Even if there is an association between this syndrome and the use of marijuana, that does not prove that marijuana causes the syndrome. Many troubled individuals seek an 'escape' into use of drugs: thus frequent use of marijuana may become one more in a series of conterproductive behaviors for these unhappy people".
7. "Cannabis and it's derivatives have shown promise in the treatment of a variety of disorders. The evidence is most impressive in glaucoma, where their mechanism of action appears to be different from standard drugs: in asthma.... and in the nausea and vomiting of cancer chemotherapy... Similar trials have suggested cannabis might also be used in seizures, spasticity, and other nervous system disorders".

And that is only in five minutes of searching, thanks. CAFFEINE KILLS MORE PEOPLE THAN WEED FOLKS. TIME TO BAN COFFEE!!!!!!!!

kere, cool post and good to know but imo there is only one issue and that it that prohibition is in direct contradiction to 'FREEDOM'. in a free society, i decide what i will smoke, snort etc and i deal with the consequences of my actions

Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
I will give you one item, the use of heroin thripled since Amsterdam legalized drugs. I will find someone else on this thread that can debate and who knows, convince me. Alcohol although legal is destructive.

....and? heroin should be legalized too! maybe when they ban your right to go to church, carry a gun and ram a chip into your arm you will understand why you cannot leave it up to bureaucrats to pick and choose what will be prohibited

Old 01-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Lets try to keep the childish name calling out of this debate. This topic always seems to bring out the bad in people.

sometimes it is difficult to remain composed when other people feel that it is the god given right to decide what someone else may or may not put into their own body. there aren't words for me to describe how much i detest those people

Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
If it is ever legalized companies should still have the right to drug test employees and fire the ones who test positive. Some jobs are too dangerous for people to be coming to work high. Where I used to work we had a forklift driver who would come in high occasionally, he would run over all sorts of things and he even ran into a steel beam. Well one day he almost ran into me, he never even saw me ( a forklift WILL kill you ). I went straight to HR and asked them to drug test him, they did and the next day he was fired. I'm not giving up my safety because someone wants to smoke pot before coming to work.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If it is ever legalized companies should still have the right to drug test employees and fire the ones who test positive. Some jobs are too dangerous for people to be coming to work high. Where I used to work we had a forklift driver who would come in high occasionally, he would run over all sorts of things and he even ran into a steel beam. Well one day he almost ran into me, he never even saw me ( a forklift WILL kill you ). I went straight to HR and asked them to drug test him, they did and the next day he was fired. I'm not giving up my safety because someone wants to smoke pot before coming to work.

100% with you. if a company wants to test its staff it should have the right to do so. if employees don't like it they can find another job. i almost took a job for one of the major oil companies writing up futures contracts. they insisted on a drug test and i insisted that they take their job and shove it up their rectums

Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,641 times
Quote:
I agree with you to a certain degree but I believe there exists methods that can test whether or not you've smoked RECENTLY. That is the important factor, recent ingestion would be grounds for firing, but what i do in my own home would be my own damn business.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,909 times
Quote:

What makes you think that if someone test positive for weed that they have been coming into work high?? Seriously, do you know anything about the body and the plant itself?? Weed stays in your system for about a month (three months in your hair). Doesn't it seem unfair - illogical even - that if I smoke three weeks ago and it's still in my system that I should get fired even though I wasn't high?? You've got to be kidding. If weed becomes legal, then drug test for weed should be abolished; if you conduct them and fire people based on whether they had it in their system, that's discrimination (if you didn't know that). For some it's easy to tell if they've smoked a doobie; you know the red eyes, the dopey smile, the eating, the sleeping. For some (like me) I can smoke and be perfectly fine and within my capabilities to do my job. I don't advise smoking before or at work, but to fire someone because they still have THC in their system is stupid IMHO.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
so we've established that it's probably the kids and not the dope. maybe you should write a letter to god and ask him why some people lack motivation. all of this is beside the point, lie i've said for the millionth time, this is a civil liberty issue and i don't think narrow minded administrators should be dictating what we may or may not smoke.

i don't know you roaddog. maybe you're a 2nd ammendment guy, maybe you're religious, maybe you enjoy writing on these forums, maybe lots of things. the reality is that obama will alter the 2nd ammendment for your safety, maybe the churches will be censored and maybe the govt will regulate what you may express here.

you might not like drugs like i don't like religion but when we start allowing dictators to prohibit things you don't like it's only one step away from them outlawing things that you do.

I really don't understand, I never said I didn't like weed and never said it should be illegal, i said I didn't know what to think, I've always been for legalizing weed and said so in all these threads, all I was saying is that after being around my relitives who live to smoke weed that it made me wonder, thats it, I didn't blame the weed for their stupidity, I just questioned their choice for weed over work or a home. like I said, I smoke the herb from time to time. y'all sound like ya need to smoke a bowl and relax to me.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Sorry Frankie i disagree. if i am having a bbq with friends i occassionally like to smoke a joint. when i went out clubbing/raving i'd probably choose ecstacy but i used to enjoy diet pills(freely available, no issues with cops, no downer). i was never really a big fan of coke but i'd do the odd line here and there if one of my buds had some. just speaking from experience. it has been a long time since i used any of it though. i've had kids and so have my mates so it doesn't linger around anymore

price is irrelevant. coke doesn't become more or less appealing if someone scored a deal on some hash. it just doesn't work that way.
Err.. I am not entirely sure how you can 'disagree' with what I said, it was a general statement based on an observation. If the price goes down, and it becomes more available, surely people will be all over it as opposed to high dollar drugs such as Cocaine.

Price is relevant. It is the driving force behind illegal drug trafficking. If criminals couldn't get top dollar for the drugs they import, what would be the purpose of doing so? Money is everything, especially in the drug trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies