Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
How are those statements contradictory?
They're contradictory because in his first statement, he's suggesting that being gay is dangerous due to the high rates of HIV in gay men, but then in his second statement, he's acknowledging that merely being gay is not dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Unless attraction motivates you to have casual unprotected anal sex.
Most of us can separate the two.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
And yet gays are disproportionately represented among people with HIV/AIDS.
That is only gay MEN, since lesbians actually have the lowest rate of STDs among any group. And the reason why gay men are a high-risk group? One, they are men - and we all know men (gay or straight) have a little trouble controlling themselves, so when you get 2 of them together it's double the risk. Other reason is simply the risky type of sex many of them have, and then you have a little social influence as well. So there are logical reasons, and today their numbers are decreasing while the hetero numbers are increasing... so in my opinion, we should be focusing on prevention in heterosexuals (particularly teens), since many still have the mindset that it's a "gay disease."

Quote:
You're right, though...simply having homosexual attractions is not risky in itself. Neither is me checking out my neighbor, the college coed, sunning herself in her backyard. It's when I go over there and start talking to her that I run the risk of my wife kicking my ass...
LOL.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Homosexuals still make up a huge amount considering they are only 3% of the population.

Also AIDS is contracted mostly with same-sex sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
San Francisco AIDS Foundation: United States Statistics

I mean that gays used to make up the biggest percentage of those infected with Aids, but now the heteros are catching up, due to "high risk heterosexual contact" and another large factor are drug users.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They're contradictory because in his first statement, he's suggesting that being gay is dangerous due to the high rates of HIV in gay men, but then in his second statement, he's acknowledging that merely being gay is not dangerous.
Wrong. He differentiates.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Wrong. He differentiates.
So, would you like to address the topic or are you only here to provide commentary on everybody else's thoughts?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
"The gay lifestyle" is a misnomer. There are risky behaviors that people engage in. Simply having homosexual attractions is not risky in itself.

Only about 50% of gay men engage in anal sex at all; they only have oral sex. In terms of HIV transmission, oral sex between two men is much less risky than unprotected vaginal sex between a man and a woman.

What do you think about the phrase, "the gay lifestyle"?
Personally, of all the gay people I know, which is alot, all work, go to the gym, hang out with friends, maybe go to a bar and so on. The gay lifestyle to me as people may refer to it, does not exist, other than the fact they are attracted to the same sex and I am attracted to the opposite sex. To me personally, it is a non issue since I have no problem with it.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
Quote:
So, would you like to address the topic or are you only here to provide commentary on everybody else's thoughts?
I already answered the question.

I proved you wrong.

Why are you arguing about that?

Homosexual attraction is not risky. It does nothing. Acting on that attraction, in a sexual way, puts you into a higher category of risk. Is there something about that you don't understand?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Ya but they still have casual sex or engage in NSA sex with their gay friends. It all happens behind closed doors. Let's not be naive. I do not agree with that lifestyle. I am open about it and have noticed that gay men will not befriend me because of my more celibate lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Personally, of all the gay people I know, which is alot, all work, go to the gym, hang out with friends, maybe go to a bar and so on. The gay lifestyle to me as people may refer to it, does not exist, other than the fact they are attracted to the same sex and I am attracted to the opposite sex. To me personally, it is a non issue since I have no problem with it.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
The gay lifestyle I'm familiar with from my neighbors is:
  • mow the lawn
  • grill the steak
  • hang out on the patio
  • joke about uptight homophobes talking about a "gay lifestyle"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies