Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Sure there are moments when I wish I could spend a single day so blissfully ignorant, but that last for about 10 seconds. However I'm not grateful that so many of this type of mindset exist, even if they do make good customers. The incurious, unaware, disengaged, and apathetic bring me no joy.
But without them, we'd have no one inferior to us. Why, we'd be forced to eschew comparisons.

Thank (oops, almost said "God") -fully, evolution seems to have proceeded at a varying pace, depending on the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Smile Depends on who's upset.

Why is the theory of evolution so controversial??

Because it doesn't confirm some people's favorite middle eastern creation myth, many scientifically illiterate folks are highly threatened by it.

In the scientific community, there is no controversy over evolution.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Lightbulb Why is the theory of evolution so controversial??

Simple minds crave simple explanations. And they resist change. Routine in action and thought is comforting. Progress is threatening. It may require effort to learn in order to adapt. A straightforward "goddidit" suffices for these unquestioning minds. Then, they can go back to focusing on the real issues, like putting prayer back in our schools.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
But without them, we'd have no one inferior to us. Why, we'd be forced to eschew comparisons.

Thank (oops, almost said "God") -fully, evolution seems to have proceeded at a varying pace, depending on the individual.
I don't view these people as inferior, only apathetic, incurious, unaware, and disengaged. These things have a cure and can be changed. I have even been guilty at one point in time of some of the very things I protest, so I'm hardly in a position to view myself as superior to anyone.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I don't view these people as inferior, only apathetic, incurious, unaware, and disengaged. These things have a cure and can be changed. I have even been guilty at one point in time of some of the very things I protest, so I'm hardly in a position to view myself as superior to anyone.
Hmmm. One could be excused for assuming otherwise after reading your posts regularly.

And I was posting tongue-in-cheek....

Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
creation took 6 days and god rested on the 7th.

to us we take a day as 24 hours, but to a supreme being such as the almighty god, a day might mean 500 million years. how is anyone to know unless you get there and talk with god.

the theory of evolution is exactly that, a theory not fact.
I see. So god is a fact? Show me the evidence.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I go to churh and everyone else I know does also. We all believe in evolution and are all highly eduacated, more than you that is for sure.

Try not painting everyone with a broad brush because it only makes you look like a fool

I think we need to be careful about how we state our positions here. Do I believe living organisms have the ability to adapt to a changing environment? Yes., of course I do. Do I believe that the jump from a pool of organic compounds to living organisms happened spontaneously. No, that's ridiculous on the face of it. If it were possible, the scientific community would have already done it. They've tried, but they can't. So I'm sceptical when they tell me that they don't need a god to explain what they don't understand. The idea of a Creator is a logical next step in the thought process. It is however, a step that scientists with an atheist agenda cannot take. Their books speculate about what may have happened in the past without direct proof. My book, the Bible, has accurately predicted future events hundreds and thousands of years forward without error or omission. I'll put my stock in that book.

http://www.ellisskolfield.com/pdf/TFPChapters1-9.pdf

Bible Prophecy - Ellis Skolfield

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Do I believe that the jump from a pool of organic compounds to living organisms happened spontaneously. No, that's ridiculous on the face of it. If it were possible, the scientific community would have already done it. They've tried, but they can't.
Scientists haven't created a black hole yet. Why not? According to you, "if it were possible, the scientific community would have already done it." What kind of muddled logic is that?

The kind that would come up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My book, the Bible, has accurately predicted future events hundreds and thousands of years forward without error or omission. I'll put my stock in that book.
The bible predicted everything without error or omission? Where is my post today predicted?

You believe in a mythology. Nothing more and nothing less. That's fine if you want to do that, but it doesn't have any bearing on reality. It should also stay out of the scientific classroom, where we teach verifiable reality, not mythology.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Scientists haven't created a black hole yet. Why not? According to you, "if it were possible, the scientific community would have already done it." What kind of muddled logic is that?

The kind that would come up with this:

The bible predicted everything without error or omission? Where is my post today predicted?

You believe in a mythology. Nothing more and nothing less. That's fine if you want to do that, but it doesn't have any bearing on reality. It should also stay out of the scientific classroom, where we teach verifiable reality, not mythology.
Verifiable reality is what people think and do. Some of them believe in God, and act accordingly. Their faith motivates and to a degree effects their actions. If that's not verifiable reality, what is?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:04 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Verifiable reality is what people think and do. Some of them believe in God, and act accordingly. Their faith motivates and to a degree effects their actions. If that's not verifiable reality, what is?
I have no doubt that people are motivated by their religious beliefs, and that their actions are part of reality. But that doesn't mean that their mythology is part of reality.

If I'm scared to sleep with my light off because of monsters under the bed, that would be verifiable - you can see my nightlight. But that doesn't make the monsters real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies