Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Hamas however is not a legitame entity like the PA on the West Bank. Like FARC in Columbia they more or less want war with Israel because it gets them more money, propaganda and weapons. I would say the really shills are the Palestinians who back Hamas, but are not part of it
Perhaps a good argument to sweep the Hamas led Gazan trouble makers into the dustbin, and get on with the real work of helping the Palestinians on the West bank toward a peaceful, fruitful existence. Which, may, in turn bring those in Gaza along with them.

But I also can see, that there are many layers to this problem, that are exacerbated by the "others", including the USA, that use Isreal and Hamas/Palestine as proxies to do their heavy lifting in the region.
Which is what I meant when I say Isreal lacks the will. Sooner or later, they just may decide, they arent playing "uncle sam says" anymore. And do what needs to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1) How about you explain "it"?
2) What makes Gaza a hell? Can't wait to hear your take on it, should be interesting. Having said that, I doubt that 99% of readers here will walk taking shame and humiliation if asked to leave their land and run, instead of standing up against a tyranny. Do you consider self to be a conservative?
(Speaking as a person in Gaza): Tyranny or not, I care more about my kids. (I cannot solve the region's problems as an individual).
Yes. You fight up to a point. However, when you realize that there is no use fighting further, a rational person moves on.
Let me give you 2 examples of people in the region who decided their future is elsewhere:
1) Latest exodus of christians from the middle east. Happens without excessive drama. Most people are not even aware of it:
Christian population disappearing from Middle East (http://www.cathnews.com/news/605/112.php - broken link)
2) Bahai leaving Iran:
The Muslim Network for Baha’i Rights » Blog Archive » Baha’i exodus

I don't consider myself neither conservative, nor liberal, but a pragmatist.

What makes Gaza a hell? Start with one of the most crowded places on earth. Bad infrastructure, no jobs, etc. High degree of illiteracy. Gangs (a.k.a. freedom fighters) killing each other with frequent bursts of shooting. (One can never tell if an expression of joy or are they actually murdering brothers from another gang). On top of that - Israeli attacks...
All in all, I would get out asap...
Where can they go? Solutions for individuals and families can be identified. There is already a wide palestinian diaspora, US, Australia, Canada, Farnce and for those seeking to live by the Quran, plenty of muslim states...
On national level, a variety of solutions can also be worked out, if there is good will.
Quote:
Israel's decision was unilateral. Hamas later agreed to it. This doesn't guarantee peace, but only to the delusional. Israel timed it well, before American completed its transition. As for Hamas, nothing helps them, and their cause, more than Israel resuming the attacks. Thats reality that I'm sure many of you will have tough time comprehending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies