Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:49 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times

Advertisements

In this country, there are people that you wish were never born...or at least weren't famous. There are also steriotypes out there, for all groups of people, and some of these people are good poster boys and girls for those steriotypes. I HATE that!
I'm black, and there are ALOT of people who look like me that I'm dissapointed in and ashamed of. Like...

Dennis Rodman. He hasn't really been in the news in years, but anyone who dresses as a woman, dyes their hair several different colors, and gets more tattoos and piercings than a kiosk just to get attention is an embarassment to me.

98% of all rappers.. There not even real rappers anymore, their "Hip Hop Artests", and all they ever put in their songs is what they have, why I got this, and "Why you shootin' at me? All I do is just throw my money in your face."

Anyone involved in vh1's Flavor of Love.. If you have seen that show, you know what I'm talking about.

O.J. Simpson. Enough said.

I know there are people your ashamed to call "one of your own".
I can already name one.......Ms. Paris Hilton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 02:25 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
In this country, there are people that you wish were never born...or at least weren't famous. There are also steriotypes out there, for all groups of people, and some of these people are good poster boys and girls for those steriotypes. I HATE that!
I'm black, and there are ALOT of people who look like me that I'm dissapointed in and ashamed of. Like...

Dennis Rodman. He hasn't really been in the news in years, but anyone who dresses as a woman, dyes their hair several different colors, and gets more tattoos and piercings than a kiosk just to get attention is an embarassment to me.

98% of all rappers.. There not even real rappers anymore, their "Hip Hop Artests", and all they ever put in their songs is what they have, why I got this, and "Why you shootin' at me? All I do is just throw my money in your face."

Anyone involved in vh1's Flavor of Love.. If you have seen that show, you know what I'm talking about.

O.J. Simpson. Enough said.

I know there are people your ashamed to call "one of your own".
I can already name one.......Ms. Paris Hilton.
OJ? You're right, enough said.

But the rappers? I'm not into the music but can't really blame them for taking the $$$$$$ people so willingly throw at them.

And the Hiltons and Rodmans of the world? Who cares? Ignore 'em and hopefully they'll go away. And I think the media worship given to some of these people is an embarassment to the human race.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,963 times
I just flat out don't get it, what in the world does being black have to do with it, what 1 individual does has nothing to do with you.

If a few apples are rotten out of an entire bushel does it make the entire bushel rotten.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I just flat out don't get it, what in the world does being black have to do with it, what 1 individual does has nothing to do with you.

If a few apples are rotten out of an entire bushel does it make the entire bushel rotten.
Well, for one thing I never said that being black was the reason these fools are embarassments. What I'm saying is that they're the reason why we're steriotyped.
If I had to get rid of these people-these, who don't care if they are making themselves look like idiots; the ones who are the prime example of our steriotypes and the reason why alot of people hate us (and with all those reasons they are making me look bad)- I would get rid of them in a heart beat.

By the way, I'm not just talking about the embarassments my race or race in general. I'm talking about those rotten apples who make all groups, countries, and religions look bad. Especially with Christians, who have so many hypocrites, people question if it's even right for us to be Christian.

And that last question of your's...YES.
Believe me, in today's society, if one person does something wrong or stupid, it effects the whole group. It's not right, I don't think it should happen, but sadly, it does. One good example...Sept. 11 and the way most Americans looked at Middle Eastern guys who have beards wear head coverings.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:06 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
:Especially with Christians, who have so many hypocrites, people question if it's even right for us to be Christian.

Believe me, in today's society, if one person does something wrong or stupid, it effects the whole group. It's not right, I don't think it should happen, but sadly, it does.
reagarding Christian,follow it your own,I do consider myself,read my last few posts and maybe some out there would consider me a hyprocrite for saying I am.Dont really matter to me,I beleive and trust in Christ and its between the holy spirit and me.Just because someone falls short that doesn't make the message any lessened.

Stereotyping...I think most of us are guilty of it from time to time.Im a longhaired rock n roller guy.If I had a nickel for everytime I 've been in a bar and someone asked me where can they get some weed Id be rich....Im sure alot of people look at me and peg me for a pot smoking leftist hippie,and Im not.But the way I look comes with that stigma,I choose to look the way I do.

When I see someone dressed like a gangsta,yeah I think of them like they look,but they may not be.Personally Im more worried about the nicely dressed dummies in Wash DC.

And if I was in a plane and I saw a middleastern man boarding,9-11 would come straight to my mind,cant help it.Thats not to say I'd jump them or something but Id have second thoughts.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:07 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,054,934 times
Interesting sentiments, JJG. Good post.

It reminds me of what a friend of mine who is of Japanese descent once told me. He was saying that during the earlier generations, a term was used --I have no recollection what the word was in Japanese-- that essentially meant that how one behaved reflected not only on the immediate family but also on the whole community.

If an individual committed a crime, for instance, it would reflect badly on everybody. Since everybody was cognizant of that fact, from a cultural standpoint, an individual's behavior could either be shameful or honorable to the family and the community. Consequently, very few crimes were committed by people of Japanese ancestry back then because it not only would be personally embarrassing but reflect poorly on the community.

I found that to be an interesting concept.

I look forward to futher responses on this thread.

Thank you.

--'rocco

Old 03-10-2007, 08:58 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,598 times
He's not famous, but my ex gave his Irish heritage as the excuse for him being an alcoholic, not being able to conquer it -- and he's only half Irish!

Now my all Irish family, there are a couple who do insist on excusing stupid-drunk behaviour on "birthright". I don't know, did St. Patrick do something, or what???
:>)

(Sorry, don't really pay enough attention to the celebs; pretty much avoid TV altogether, save some news).

Last edited by Travel'r; 03-10-2007 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-10-2007, 09:02 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
I'm just a spectator now, I stopped being in races a long time ago.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,963 times
Ok, now i understand what your saying, yea i'll go along with that.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,798 times
the problem is, that other people who dont know blacks and those who hate blacks DO blame the problems of some blacks on the Whole race. I get asked all the time about stereotypes about blacks and except for being black in color, I dont know why someone assumes I know the answer.

I dont fit the stereotypes but it seems many many people think if one black can play basketball we call can, if one black can dance we all can and if one black steals or kills we all Do,

funny, we never get the question, Since one of you went to the Ivy league do you all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies