Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That does open up some interesting possibilities. Maybe the embryos were from different parents. Why? Follow the money. Perhaps she was acting as a surrogate for women who couldn't carry babies. That's actually quite common. Desperate childless couples are often willing to pay a handsome fee for someone to carry their baby. Where did this happen again? LA? Now, multiply that by 8, and that's a ton of money. Doctor gets half of course, so just one or two babies wouldn't do. Economy of scale, doncha know.

Oh, and BTW, perfectly legal.
So I was right about the puppy mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 AM

68 posts, read 147,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Okay, tell me the word that is on par with racism but uses the term "ethnicity". Ethnicitism? It's racism, no matter how you try to deny it.
Ethnocentrism. Try investing in a good collegiate dictionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sure I think it's messed up for anyone to have more than 2 kids unless they have a way to fully support them all themselves, but to turn this into a debate about race and immigration is simply wrong and shows how much of a hateful bigot you are.
No, I think it’s more an indicator of some of the ongoing sociocultural crises in America. People are losing faith in the liberal dogma of their leaders that promotes “diversity” without cultural integration and the emphasis on shared values (beyond the all-American pursuit of making quick money.)

I know I have lost all faith. I live in a stressful, rapidly urbanizing community with rapid shifts in cultural demographics. The attitude of the local liberal governments and their cheerleaders is something like the following composite of messages:

“Hey, long-term resident, you must adapt to every newcomer and his/her culture, no matter how antithetical its values are to your own values. You are the aberration now. Your cultures are not as vibrant as theirs. You don’t have enough children. If you do have children, send them to magnet programs and school-within-a-school academies within our overcrowded, wondrously ‘diverse’ schools where they will be resented and p---ed on by the angry, frustrated working-class children of the New Americans. Your cultures are not worth preserving. Your ethnicities are in the minority. These New Americans are our future Real Americans, and you are about as relevant as the dying WASPs of yesteryear. Their purported ‘culture’ was irrelevant, too.”

I have seen quality of life accelerate downwards and many middle-class residents (of all colors and creeds) have left neighborhoods like mine in large numbers.

I am a legacy of eighties- and nineties-era busing, which often took the guise of so-called G/T and magnet programs.

Teens' Suicides Breed Anxiety
This is one of my neighborhood high schools. This school district pushes motivated, academically accelerated kids to their limits to boost test score averages in order to mask the underachievement of their less motivated, mostly working-class peers. They don’t even provide adequate counseling services and supports to these overachievers. There are more “quiet” suicides and mental breakdowns within these groups (including hospitalizations) that don’t make the news.

In this same school with I.B. students working overtime to get into elite universities, we have seen an escalation in the number of gang members (esp. MS-13) and gang thug wannabes. The county spends over $2 million on gang reduction.

It is/was a social experiment that is/was collapsing under the weight of its unrealistic leftist propaganda.

My peer group grew up on Sesame Street and Villa Alegre. The myths of diversity are very far from the realities.

Baby boom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See the birth rate chart here? See that trough during the stagflation years? That group is my cohort. Many of us are naturally skeptical of dogma and doctrine. Thos of us who still have powers of independent critical thinking (courtesy of our relatively excellent public school educations) are very tired this far-leftist b.s.:

“OMG! Get an education, you uneducated ignorant racist!”
That’s so funny given how many ridiculous spelling/grammar errors many of these far-leftist flamers have in their posts. I went to school with legions of them and they largely got a free pass from their liberal arts educators for being good liberals. And I think grammar-check/spell-check software and the Internet overall saved many of their academic careers.

They have helped devalue American college diplomas to the point of absurdity. Thanks, kids!

“You’re a racist! You’re a racist! You’re a racist! You’re a racist! I am a superior enlightened being who promotes tolerance!”
And yet you don’t tolerate non-leftist free speech.

This is getting very old. You all sound the same.

“Embrace diversity! If you hate where you live why don’t you just move?!?!”

I would if I could, you insensitive clod.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 AM

68 posts, read 147,122 times
Default The American idiot box: our most influential cultural export

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
But they are not cared for by Michelle and Jim Bob. They are cared for by the older daughters. Yes, I spend WAY too much time watching the freak show that is the Duggar family.
I once spoke with a British guy who said that one of the biggest differences between Brits and Americans is that British society has plenty of idiots, too, but they don’t plaster them all over television. This was about 7-9 years ago, before reality television really took off and changed many mediocre, attention-lusting Americans into overnight cult personalities and "household names."

Now some British t.v. has gotten very crass in recent years, but I understand that some of their lowest brow programmes (as they spell it) cover American idiots expressly for the purposes of pointing out how stupid and vain Americans are and how debased and vacuous American "culture" is.

Canceling my cable subscription was one of the smartest things I ever did to downsize my spending.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
No, she shares this planet with other people. When she brings 14 children into this world, she contributes to that overpopulation. And overpopulation affects everyone. Sorry, but I have every right to say it.
Yes - you have every right to say it.

But, the fact remains - FACT: In the United States there are NO limitations on the number of children someone can have. We are not like China with forced sterilizations (yet!).

Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Don't we have child welfare rules? Is it her right to feed them nothing but bread and water? Not bathe them? There are certain parenting standards that must be upheld.
And, you know that these children will not be properly fed, bathed, clothed, how?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Are you ok with someone having 20 kids under the age of 8 in a 3 bedroom house with limited resources?
I'm "OK" with a person making THEIR OWN DECISIONS - and not being "forced" by society to do something different.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Taxpayers are forced to support her kids through education, health benefits, welfare, etc. Then it becomes the taxpayers' right to be upset at such irresponsibility. She's nothing but a slu*.
Then, you support the "China" type rule? Do you also support forced sterilizations?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:07 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
She has a hispanic surname. Her husband is a contractor working in Iraq - that doesn't make him Iraqi.
An article in the Guardian (UK) mentioned that the grandfather, Ed Suleymon, is a native Iraqui and works as a contractor/interpreter in Iraq. Based on the surname Suleymon, this would seem to be correct. It's a fairly common Arab/Muslim surname.

The 33 year old mother of the 14 children may have married/divorced or be the widow of someone named Gutierrez, because it appears her maiden name is Suleymon.

As all these details emerge, I can understand the family's desire, originally, for privacy. However, the dribs and drabs of info coming out of interviews and being found through all sorts of investigative sources has resulted in a lot of speculation as to the mother's motives for producing so many children and also to question whether she needed psychiatric help instead of a fertility doctor.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:08 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Don't put the Duggars down...they are married, they are self-sufficient and don't depend on public assistance! Not to mention that their kids are well cared for, and seem pretty well behaved...better than some families that have only one or two children. No, it's not for everyone, but please refrain from calling them crazy...at least they love their kids! And it's still a free Country.
Did you read my tag line above? I don't have to 'refrain' from calling them anything I please. They are IN MY OPINION just as crazy as the octuplet mother. Remember, I can have my opinion...as you say, it's still a free country. Having 18 kids (or 14, to keep on topic ) is narcisstic.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAnomie View Post
Ethnocentrism. Try investing in a good collegiate dictionary.

No, I think it’s more an indicator of some of the ongoing sociocultural crises in America. People are losing faith in the liberal dogma of their leaders that promotes “diversity” without cultural integration and the emphasis on shared values (beyond the all-American pursuit of making quick money.)

I know I have lost all faith. I live in a stressful, rapidly urbanizing community with rapid shifts in cultural demographics. The attitude of the local liberal governments and their cheerleaders is something like the following composite of messages:

“Hey, long-term resident, you must adapt to every newcomer and his/her culture, no matter how antithetical its values are to your own values. You are the aberration now. Your cultures are not as vibrant as theirs. You don’t have enough children. If you do have children, send them to magnet programs and school-within-a-school academies within our overcrowded, wondrously ‘diverse’ schools where they will be resented and p---ed on by the angry, frustrated working-class children of the New Americans. Your cultures are not worth preserving. Your ethnicities are in the minority. These New Americans are our future Real Americans, and you are about as relevant as the dying WASPs of yesteryear. Their purported ‘culture’ was irrelevant, too.”

I have seen quality of life accelerate downwards and many middle-class residents (of all colors and creeds) have left neighborhoods like mine in large numbers.

I am a legacy of eighties- and nineties-era busing, which often took the guise of so-called G/T and magnet programs.

Teens' Suicides Breed Anxiety
This is one of my neighborhood high schools. This school district pushes motivated, academically accelerated kids to their limits to boost test score averages in order to mask the underachievement of their less motivated, mostly working-class peers. They don’t even provide adequate counseling services and supports to these overachievers. There are more “quiet” suicides and mental breakdowns within these groups (including hospitalizations) that don’t make the news.

In this same school with I.B. students working overtime to get into elite universities, we have seen an escalation in the number of gang members (esp. MS-13) and gang thug wannabes. The county spends over $2 million on gang reduction.

It is/was a social experiment that is/was collapsing under the weight of its unrealistic leftist propaganda.

My peer group grew up on Sesame Street and Villa Alegre. The myths of diversity are very far from the realities.

Baby boom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See the birth rate chart here? See that trough during the stagflation years? That group is my cohort. Many of us are naturally skeptical of dogma and doctrine. Thos of us who still have powers of independent critical thinking (courtesy of our relatively excellent public school educations) are very tired this far-leftist b.s.:

“OMG! Get an education, you uneducated ignorant racist!”
That’s so funny given how many ridiculous spelling/grammar errors many of these far-leftist flamers have in their posts. I went to school with legions of them and they largely got a free pass from their liberal arts educators for being good liberals. And I think grammar-check/spell-check software and the Internet overall saved many of their academic careers.

They have helped devalue American college diplomas to the point of absurdity. Thanks, kids!

“You’re a racist! You’re a racist! You’re a racist! You’re a racist! I am a superior enlightened being who promotes tolerance!”
And yet you don’t tolerate non-leftist free speech.

This is getting very old. You all sound the same.

“Embrace diversity! If you hate where you live why don’t you just move?!?!”

I would if I could, you insensitive clod.
You have issues. Think beyond the paradigm that's been presented to you. You still have free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies