Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,728,506 times

Advertisements

If a state wants to ignore the laws of the United States, go ahead, but that should then mean they receive no federal funds for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 12:16 PM

870 posts, read 1,629,826 times
you are just saying that because california is depending on A LOT of federal funds to bail their stupid selves out of the mess they are in. they tax people to death yet still have no money. i know i am ignorant...but please explain that to me. is it because real estate is dropping and there is less real estate tax money coming in?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,728,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
you are just saying that because california is depending on A LOT of federal funds to bail their stupid selves out of the mess they are in. they tax people to death yet still have no money. i know i am ignorant...but please explain that to me. is it because real estate is dropping and there is less real estate tax money coming in?
What? lol... No, I didn't have California in mind at all. I meant exactly what I said.

Why are conservatives so obsessed with California?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,985,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If a state wants to ignore the laws of the United States, go ahead, but that should then mean they receive no federal funds for anything.

Well you see now, there's the whole problem. The federal government shouldn't be holding the purse strings to ANY state. This is the very thing the states are bitching about; too much federal control.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,677,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Remember when the "South" stood up for states rights?
Someone once observed that those who don't read history are condemned to repeat it. Do you think there are going to be any secessions any time soon? Or that if there are, the end result would be any different from the last one?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Someone once observed that those who don't read history are condemned to repeat it. Do you think there are going to be any secessions any time soon? Or that if there are, the end result would be any different from the last one?
No slavery to get people riled up with propaganda. If Lincoln hadn't had that to use in propaganda he never could have waged the war against the South. And the secession didn't start the war, it was Fort Sumter that started the war. I do see a state or more seceding in the next decade, but things are going to be very bad for the federal government this go around. Tyrants lose eventually.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,286,488 times
According to this 8 states have declared their sovereignty. I haven't read all of them but I did make this handy dandy map! Enjoy.

EIGHT STATES DECLARE SOVERIENTY

Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
According to this 8 states have declared their sovereignty. I haven't read all of them but I did make this handy dandy map! Enjoy.

EIGHT STATES DECLARE SOVERIENTY
The easiest way to put a stop to this: let 'em go. See how long it takes for each of these eight "sovereign" states to collapse. I predict that of them all, Hawaii has the likeliest chance for success, since it used to be an independent kingdom.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,286,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The easiest way to put a stop to this: let 'em go. See how long it takes for each of these eight "sovereign" states to collapse. I predict that of them all, Hawaii has the likeliest chance for success, since it used to be an independent kingdom.
I disagree, I don't think any of them would collapse, except for Michigan which has collapsed already and doesn't have anything else to lose.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I disagree, I don't think any of them would collapse, except for Michigan which has collapsed already and doesn't have anything else to lose.
Montana, Oklahoma and New Hampshire as sovereign states? How are they going to support themselves? (And all landlocked, except for NH's short stretch of coastline). Arizona can be discounted right away--it's on the verge of running completely out of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies