Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,988,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Montana, Oklahoma and New Hampshire as sovereign states? How are they going to support themselves? (And all landlocked, except for NH's short stretch of coastline). Arizona can be discounted right away--it's on the verge of running completely out of water.
NH residents, being from a cold climate, have a fantastic ability to be self-sufficient. I'd be more worried about MT and OK, although OK still has sufficient oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,299,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
you are just saying that because california is depending on A LOT of federal funds to bail their stupid selves out of the mess they are in. they tax people to death yet still have no money. i know i am ignorant...but please explain that to me. is it because real estate is dropping and there is less real estate tax money coming in?
I don't see why a state can't get federal funds for federal programs should every other state recieve them. Penalizing those who stand up for themselves is hardly in the spirit of treating the states fairly.

As to California, there are lots of tax and social cost questions but what really caused the state to tank was real estate. The forclosure rate in Moreno Vally was 33 percent the beginning of last year and there is much more to come. Housing prices have fallen badly as well as many job losses. Where I lived in Riverside the unemployment was nearing 9 percent last September and is over 10 percent now.

Empty houses don't provide taxes. People without jobs and no money don' pay state tax. There are many components to it.

I would love to see California draft a bill like the ones in the other states. There has been a continuing dispute over a number of issues involving the rights of states in California and it would be very suitable for the legistlature to add their voice there. I fear that they won't dare, as other states in need of funds won't, because in effect the feds own a part of the state once the money is there.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,284,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Montana, Oklahoma and New Hampshire as sovereign states? How are they going to support themselves? (And all landlocked, except for NH's short stretch of coastline). Arizona can be discounted right away--it's on the verge of running completely out of water.
These states are not attempting to secede (fwell, Hawaii maybe ), they are just asserting their sovereignty under the constitution. But even if they did secede, the smallest of the eight Montana would still be larger than 67 out 221 countries recognized by the U.N.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,229,031 times
Thanks for posting the links to the other states legislation. I emailed my state rep a few days ago with a link to the NH bill. I just sent him links to the bills/resolutions from the other states.

If state legislators across the country start getting enough mail from their constituents demanding that states reassert their rights under the 9th and 10th amendments, perhaps we, the people can regain some of the power that has been usurped by the federal govenment over the decades.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,671,522 times
We had a war about this and the states lost. I believe NH fought against States Rights. Oh well, what goes around, comes around.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,841,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Remember when the "South" stood up for states rights? Some still declare them racists and traitors?

they truly are, states rights is nothing but a code word thats abstract

Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM

709 posts, read 1,500,274 times
Free State Project FTW!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,212,960 times
Quote:
A growing number of states are declaring sovereignty. Washington, New Hampshire, Arizona, Montana, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, California, and Georgia have all introduced bills and resolutions declaring sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment. Colorado, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Alaska, Kansas, Alabama, Nevada, Maine, and Illinois are considering such measures.
Seems a growing number of people are sharpening their pitchforks. Good.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:48 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,044,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Seems a growing number of people are sharpening their pitchforks. Good.
This seems similar to a state standing up to a large corporation in regards to health benefits. Good.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,999,273 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies