Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

No accent from Obama, however he definitely has a way of speaking....long pauses, drawn out sentences & then he likes a quick finish. I think Chris Rock does a great impression of him. Don't worry, you'll see it on SNL one of these days, there's no way you can't do an impression of the way he speaks.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
He'll slip into that sort of semi-black vernacular every now and then when around predominantly black audiences (a friend of mine does the same thing --- goes from educated, flat American English to sorta black country in 2 seconds if a family member calls)..... but in general, Obama's accent is pretty midwestern.

It DOES grate on me how he says POK-EE-STON though. Or TAHLEEBON. Or those long, deep, "Aaaaands" that often punctuate his speech. But I'm just being picky.

Nothing comparable to the way Bush slaughtered the English language though.
I agree...the broad "A's" grate on me as well. ALL 'politicos' do this stuff...Al Gore was famous for talking "black" in front of a black crowd....Bush got even MORE 'folksy' in front of "military folks" than he did on TV....and LOTS of 'pols' will suddenly don a miner's hardhat in West Virginia, or a cowboy hat in Texas.

My favorite was Jimmy Carter's Spanish plea "nessa-SEE-toh sue VOTE-toh". The toothy 'grin' transcended the language barrier.

Last edited by macmeal; 02-04-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
No accent from Obama, however he definitely has a way of speaking....long pauses, drawn out sentences & then he likes a quick finish. I think Chris Rock does a great impression of him. Don't worry, you'll see it on SNL one of these days, there's no way you can't do an impression of the way he speaks.
2nd post here...

This guy does a pretty good impersonation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_TnQqkVyk

YouTube - Highlights from the Third 2008 Presidential Debate with Barack Obama and John McCain

Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
It's not the accent, but the content of their speech. Bush clearly provided evidence of his lack of intelligence in his inarticulate speech, misuse of words, and use of non-existent words.

It is so refreshing to hear out president speak in coherent sentences, with proper grammar and and word usage.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Wait wait, sorry it's not Chris Rock, it's Jamie Fox.
YouTube - Jamie foxx mocks OBAMA

And at the inaguration
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VLiPPiUnkvc&feature=related

Old 02-04-2009, 05:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Never mind the stupidity that comes from their MOUTHES..have you checked out the ideas that come frome their BRANES ?.....hard to believe they are able to voat, IMHO....
LOL!

Personally, I think the voting age should be raised to about 25, and only those who are paying taxes should be allowed to vote.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I want to clarify, I did not say President Obama speaks Ebonics. I said I think he has an Ebonics accent. He does try to oppress it most of the time, but it slips out often, at least that is what I hear.
An ebonics accent....

Well I've read everything now!

Why not just say, he sounds black, like James Earl Jones, or Paul Robeson, or Morgan Freeman. What a shock!

God help us.

Last edited by ovcatto; 02-04-2009 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Haven't you ever heard of "ebonics"? Holy cow, are you out of touch or what? Ebonics has been around sice the 80's, at least!
Yes ebonics has, but an ebonics accent, there is no such thing. You either speak ebonics or you don't there is no "accent". Obama speaks very well. Here ya go, in case you are confused about what real ebonics is:

YouTube - Ebonics aka Jive Conversation Translated

What you can't find anything better to pick at!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?

It wasn't Bush's "accent" that got skewered, it was his mangling of the English language.

Your ears strain for "ebonics" and all you get it intelligent, thoughtful and well spoken opinion from President Obama, and it leaves you so disappointed that you start a thread to complain.

You Bush supporters are in for a long 4 years.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:15 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
WTF is an "ebonic accent"? You guys amaze me everytime some stupidity comes from your mouthes.
Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies