Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,994,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
there is not enough hatred in all the world to describe how i feel about people who think it's their god given right to infringe on other peoples civil liberties. i wish they too will oneday feel the unjust force of big government knocking down their doors, beating them, shooting their kids, locking them up. this is what your ignorance creates

YouTube - The Stowers tell their story
Sorry ... but I've lived long enough to see plenty of news stories about problems caused by people who are "high". Car crashes involving teenagers where everyone is killed. Cars accidentally hitting and killing pedestrians. People shooting and stabbing other people. Gang related stuff.

Laws are made for a reason ... usually to protect society from known dangers.

When people are very "high", they are not in full control of their own actions, and they pose a risk to themselves and to others around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:44 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,212,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Drinking alcohol is legal. Pot is not! There are no exceptions, or at least there shouldn't be. American children look up to athletes as role models. Phelps broke the law and he needs to be punished. I think we need to hold our athletes to a higher standard. Vick went to prison for fighting dogs and that sends a message to our society. Break the law any you will go to jail regardless of who you are. I think Phelps needs to be punished. His saying he is sorry is to often the easy way out. He got caught once and that would indicate he has used many more times. I think he should lose all his sponsors, return his medals, and do the jail time.

see post 168!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Sorry ... but I've lived long enough to see plenty of news stories about problems caused by people who are "high". Car crashes involving teenagers where everyone is killed. Cars accidentally hitting and killing pedestrians. People shooting and stabbing other people. Gang related stuff.

When people are very "high", they are not in full control of their own actions, and they pose a risk to themselves and to others around them.
Sorry ... but I've lived long enough to see plenty of news stories about problems caused by people who are "drunk". Car crashes involving teenagers where everyone is killed. Cars accidentally hitting and killing pedestrians. Drunk People shooting and stabbing other people. Gang related stuff.

When people are very "DRUNK", they are not in full control of their own actions, and they pose a risk to themselves and to others around them!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:

drugs are dangerous. So? Lots of legal things are dangerous.

fast cars, aspirin, walking on the street, gas stoves, stairs, buckets, the air we breath, cigarettes, booze, fast food, bicycles, electricity, knives, guns, the police, food etc

Old 02-07-2009, 07:01 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,994,776 times
Quote:
Sorry ... but I've lived long enough to see plenty of news stories about problems caused by people who are "drunk". Car crashes involving teenagers where everyone is killed. Cars accidentally hitting and killing pedestrians. Drunk People shooting and stabbing other people. Gang related stuff.

When people are very "DRUNK", they are not in full control of their own actions, and they pose a risk to themselves and to others around them!
There already are laws for excessive drinking. And I fully support those laws as well.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
There already are laws for excessive drinking. And I fully support those laws as well.

like what?

Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,633,415 times
Quote:
Kelloggs instead of ending their agreement with Phelps because of cash issues (ie credit crunch), took the opportunity to jump on the Phelps bashing bandwagon for cheap publicity. i think it is extreme hypocrisy as kelloggs has been pushing copious amounts of sugar on to unsuspecting children for decades. sugar, if you don't know, is addictive and an exponentially bigger problem than marijuana, just look at obesity, diabetes etc!

everyone is screaming about his duties as a role model. i look at phelps as a good swimmer, not for his moral fabric. i encourage my kids to see him in the same light. if you as a parent have blown him up to saint-like status that's your problem. he is just a swimmer!

this whole affair is a crushing indictment on our waning democracy. the idea that we should legislate and ban everything that we don't agree with is a blatant infringement on our civil liberties. we better wake up because a ban on something you don't like is only a step away from a ban on something you do!
Wow! Where can I start?

Bashing Kelloggs for using cheap publicity, then using the cheap publicity of this forum to instigate a boycott. Check.

Raising sugar to the same status as marijuana. Check.

Admiring athletes strictly for athletic abilities, not morals. Check.

Expecting parents to guide "unsuspecting children" through the Phelps scandal (and inherent moral maze) by telling them "he's just a swimmer". Check.

Fretting over the over-legislating of everything (while Kellogg has never, for one second, raised the issue of legislating). Check.

Worrying about "unsuspecting children" eating sugar when you (at least implied) seem to advocate for a ban on sugar while, at the same time, advocate a ban on bans............................Check?

I'm confused.

I am mortally afraid that your children will end up in a legislature somewhere, passing multi-millions of laws banning dangerous poisons such as sugar, while officially congratulating Barry Bonds on his drug-enhanced achievements, while legalizing marijuana and encouraging its mind-expanding capabilities....

All of this with their brains powered by the only legal protein left (tofu) in their state.

OMG! They're future California legislators! Run for the hills!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I'm confused.

who would've thought?

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
All of this with their brains powered by the only legal protein left (tofu) in their state.

OMG! They're future California legislators! Run for the hills!
why does it shock that they'll be looking to ban everything but tofu? you're big governments head cheerleader!

i sense a bit of hypocrisy here. you don't like it when the cass sunsteins of this world want to take away your right to eat meat but your perfectly happy with the the social right banning someone else's right to smoke pot!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Quote:
I like the qualification there - "very" drunk. LOL

Quote:
world want to take away your right to eat meat but your perfectly happy with the the social right banning someone else's right to smoke pot!
Who could be happy with that? Who has taken away the right to eat meat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies