Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Unfortunately, Kelloggs is not worried about a boycott from pot smokers. When they get the munchies they'll lose self control and go for that sweet cereal.
Honeycomb should fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Your so profound with yours though.

Funny that I've only been pulled over twice since I started driving and that was for a lisc plate light out and for having a blinker out. I'm such a menace to society! Lock me up and make me smoke weed!
You don't check your lights? I check my car lights weekly. You run your car on a track? You drive around with kids? I got a parking ticket once because the meter ran out. Maybe that's my weed ticket.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i don't dispute that they are a company and can pick and choose who they want. imo what they did was a cheap shot. they were probably going to wind down the contract anyway with economic constraints.

the issue for me is that there are many in our country who'd boycott kelloggs were they to stick with phelps. i'm just presenting the other side of the coin and my own indictment on the war on drugs!

I see you feel very strongly about this issue which is sad because people who smoke marijuana will never remember to boycott Kellogg products or work up the ambition to protest their decision. They'll just get baked and chow down on a great big bowl of Frosted Flakes. Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:07 AM

773 posts, read 1,215,697 times
Here's a great article that discusses the politics of American sugar.
Eric Margolis &#151 FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

The result: the Federal government subsidizes the US sugar producers to the tune of US $1.4 billion annually. Import restrictions protect them from foreign competition and keep domestic sugar prices 3-4 times higher than world prices. Sugar remains the nation's most heavily subsidized crop at almost $500 per acre per annum.

Let then eat sugar! with apologies to Marie Antoinette.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:12 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
While many would like to see marijuana legalized, I am for keeping it illegal.

Heavy use of marijuana gets people "high", and alters their "state of mind" to the point where they may do things (drive, use weapons, get into fights, etc.) which can result in injury or death to themselves or others around them.

Light use of marijuana may not be dangerous, but let's face it, a lot of people, especially teens and young adults, use it specifically to get high.

The same can be said for alcohol. Teens typically drink to get "drunk", which is probably the main reason why underage drinking is illegal.

Phelps must realize that he is now considered a "role model", and his use of marijuana is sending the wrong message to children everywhere.
This shows you know nothing about marijuana.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I see you feel very strongly about this issue which is sad because people who smoke marijuana will never remember to boycott Kellogg products or work up the ambition to protest their decision. They'll just get baked and chow down on a great big bowl of Frosted Flakes. Sorry, but that's the way I see it.
Because all the marijuana smokers are lazy and stupid. You people just LOVE your stereotypes don't yah.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
This shows you know nothing about marijuana.
It would be pretty awesome if I could smoke weed and get into some kind of Hulkamaniac rage.

Phelps shows that you can smoke weed and be some kind of superhuman, hardworking freak of an athlete. He's cool in my book.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:23 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
While many would like to see marijuana legalized, I am for keeping it illegal.

Heavy use of marijuana gets people "high", and alters their "state of mind" to the point where they may do things (drive, use weapons, get into fights, etc.) which can result in injury or death to themselves or others around them.

Light use of marijuana may not be dangerous, but let's face it, a lot of people, especially teens and young adults, use it specifically to get high.

The same can be said for alcohol. Teens typically drink to get "drunk", which is probably the main reason why underage drinking is illegal.

Phelps must realize that he is now considered a "role model", and his use of marijuana is sending the wrong message to children everywhere.

there is not enough hatred in all the world to describe how i feel about people who think it's their god given right to infringe on other peoples civil liberties. i wish they too will oneday feel the unjust force of big government knocking down their doors, beating them, shooting their kids, locking them up. this is what your ignorance creates

YouTube - The Stowers tell their story

Old 02-07-2009, 05:55 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
Drinking alcohol is legal. Pot is not! There are no exceptions, or at least there shouldn't be. American children look up to athletes as role models. Phelps broke the law and he needs to be punished. I think we need to hold our athletes to a higher standard. Vick went to prison for fighting dogs and that sends a message to our society. Break the law any you will go to jail regardless of who you are. I think Phelps needs to be punished. His saying he is sorry is to often the easy way out. He got caught once and that would indicate he has used many more times. I think he should lose all his sponsors, return his medals, and do the jail time.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,271 times
[quote=Packersnut21;7351009]Your right this just got the ball rolling. OMG WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO. now they are going to censor everything I maybe not be able to saying anything in the internet again. You need a STRONG dose of reality.

[quote]

yup, i probably do, because i see the government starting to encroach on all aspects of my civil liberties and it starts with a first step. social, economic, environmental, medical even spiritual. each little piece of legislation passed from laws on drugs, the patriot act, tarp, stimulus, cra, all act together and create mandate for further legislation.

the right doesn't like drugs so they encourage the state to act. the left don't like guns so they do the same. mark my words, by the end of this administration your 2nd ammendment will be almost dead and buried.

on economic liberty i heard Stephen Roach, Chairman of Morgan Stanley Asia, say that a multilateral financial entity needs teeth. "The problem is that there is no enforcement mechanism, no penalties for bad behavior. Nobody wants to relinquish national authority."
you probably don't understand what he means but essentially he is talking about the govt handing over national sovereignty of our markets to a world body.

i know i'm way off topic here and i probably need a strong dose of reality but to ignore that things aren't going on which undermine our freedom is just folly and our kids will pay dearly for our ignorance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies