Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Apparently like McClellan with Lincoln and MacArthur with Truman, Gens Petreaus (CENTCOM) and Gen Ray Odierno did quite grasp the fact that President Obama was serious about withdrawing troops from Iraq in 16 months. Failing to convince Obama of their plans for withdrawal, the two generals have apparently embarked upon a media based flanking maneuver using leaks in an attempt to undermine Presidential authority.

McClellan tried it, as did MacAuthor and like MacAuthor Petreaus harbors national political ambitions. The uncoming fight should be interesting, although I suspect that it will ultimately end like it has ended before.

The Daily Star - Politics - Pentagon brass chafes at Obama's Iraq pullout plan

Petraeus Leaked Misleading Story On Pullout Plans: IPS Analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Why did the NFL trot him out at the Superbowl opening coin toss? Is it becuase they wanted the highest watched program in America to promote some nefarious brand of pseudo fascism, so corporations, in cooperation with the United States government and her military, can continue to wage wars for profit like the one in Iraq?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
I heard something about this earlier today. Looks as if Obama will eventually have to tell the General to take a long walk off a short pier.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
So Obama can't let a man like Petreaus stand in the way of ultimate defeat? For somebody who claims to admire Lincoln, I'm not sure Obama should fire his best generals. Lincoln laughed off complaints about Grant's drinking and suggested buying everybody whiskey if it would help them get the job done like Grant was doing. And Obama is not Truman. Lincoln and Truman knew what they were doing and were leaders. Obama is, well just Obama....

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times
We have to pull out of Iraq. It gives Iran too much power for us to remain. It's essential that we leave.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 AM

152 posts, read 212,035 times
Default Obama meet his match here.

Thank You OP,
for bringing this to light.

I was all predictable though.

Just look at Obama's record,
1. He voted against this war.
2. Voted several times not to fund it.
3. Promised to reduce the size of the miltary, and it's budget.
4. While in Iraq, before he was elected, refused opportunities to talk to the troops.
5. Allowed the press to coverup how many troops would vote for Mc Cain.
6. Said he is willing to talk to terrorist.
7. Is closing Gitmo.
8. Says he is okay with investigations of any wrong doing, of the previous Administration.
9. Promises not to weaponize space.
10. Allowing illegals to take over our country.
11. Refuse to wear a flag pin.
12. It wouldn't surprise me if he scraps plans to put Patriot Missles in Europe to appease Russia.
13. Promised to kill the "Don't Ask Don't Tell".
14. Wouldn't put his hand over his heart during the "Pledge of Allegance".
15. Didn't attend the Military ball during his Inagural Ball.

What I see if he makes the military to mad, is alot of Officers and NCO's hanging up their hats.

If that happens, expect the death toll of our troops to go sky high.

President Bush did a superb job keeping our numbers down.

In the first weeks of January I watched a DOD briefing on CSPAN, where a reporter asked if some of the cabinet members would at least wait until the transition was finished before leaving. Some got out before he came on board.

The best year ICE ever had was last year and the person responsible gave the job up too.

Two weeks ago I saw commercials, Join the CIA, that told me something right there.

Iran is still a threat. Right now we have Iran on two fronts.

Right now he is looking like Gen. Douglas Mac Arthur, when he stood in Korea and said if we do not take care of them now, we'll be back again later. Same applies here.

Trained leaders keep men alive in combat. Untrained men die in combat.

Are you ready for the Draft yet?

Obama's Legacy hangs in the balance.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM

USS Enterprise CV-6
  • What I see if he makes the military to mad, is alot of Officers and NCO's hanging up their hats.

Well they've been mad for about 8 years now between stop loss and multiple deployments, but this isn't about the "military" this is about Petraeus and Oderino trying to sidestep the chain of command.
  • If that happens, expect the death toll of our troops to go sky high.

It this the, they are going to follow us home line? Kind of hard to kill soldiers who aren't there.
  • President Bush did a superb job keeping our numbers down.

That's a joke, right?
  • Two weeks ago I saw commercials, Join the CIA, that told me something right there.

They've been running for at least 9 years.

• Iran is still a threat. Right now we have Iran on two fronts.

Really should have thought about that before invading Iraq, and heightening tensions with that ridiculous Axis of Evil speech.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
[quote=Icy Tea;7416674]So Obama can't let a man like Petreaus stand in the way of ultimate defeat? For somebody who claims to admire Lincoln, I'm not sure Obama should fire his best generals. Lincoln laughed off complaints about Grant's drinking and suggested buying everybody whiskey if it would help them get the job done like Grant was doing. quote]

Grant stayed out of Lincoln's business. Grant took what he was given and uncomplainingly did what he was told to do. Had he stuck his nose in Lincoln's business he would've been given the boot.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So Obama can't let a man like Petreaus stand in the way of ultimate defeat? For somebody who claims to admire Lincoln, I'm not sure Obama should fire his best generals.
The problem here is that there isn't a need for ANY generals, good, bad or indifferent. We should never have been in Iraq in the first place, since even George Bush admitted that there weren't any weapons of mass destruction. If the general would like to remain in Iraq, I'm sure he'll be welcome to do so. He just won't have any American troops to command.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM

[quote=Irishtom29;7422726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So Obama can't let a man like Petreaus stand in the way of ultimate defeat?
Now which is it folks, the surge either defeated the terrorist or it didn't. Please make up your minds.

Quote:
Grant stayed out of Lincoln's business.
Petraeus should then look to Grant for inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies