Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,885,911 times

Advertisements

Im sorry I thought the American was the most productive worker on the planet. I dont know where these clowns get the idea theres a work ethic problem in this country. Theres a decent job crisis thats for sure but no one out produces the American worker

Nobody

America is also THE market. You think the Chinese, Japenese, freakin Bangledesh and other countries are putting in 12 hour days to ship there wares to France or Brazil. Funk no, Americans still have more disposable income and buying power than any other consumer on the planet. We just need a President that has economic solutions besides spending more borrowed money.

I believe this transition to global markets was necessary as domestic manufacturing wasnt feasible considering the alternatives. And the people who bad mouth the babyboomers when its all said and done will realize this transition was made because of their sacrifice. The change was set in motion long ago and as the global economy emerges America will adjust and prosper.

In the meantime stop fraudulently and illegally importing slave labor. Create a domestic IT insutry that is sutainable using well educated hardworking Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,020,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
A few thousand temporary construction jobs and a few handouts will not fix the job problem. Maybe the crash will be postponed for a year, but we can't do a trillion dollar 'stimulus' every year. If we want to re-establish ourselves as world leaders in the economic sense, we need for the permanent good paying jobs to return, otherwise we will be reduced immensely. The financial sector was propping up the economy, providing trillions in funny money, that people spent willy-nilly, providing work millions of jobs. Now it's all gone, and the 'real' jobs like tech and manufacturing are not being done by Americans. We will soon be reduced to a third world country.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening
WHY.. well one BIG reason is that American Companies provide healthcare to their workers.. and it could be approx 10,000K extra a year for 1 single person and almost double that for an employee with a family.. for one. It raises the cost of products that we make..etc. and makes us uncompetitive.

That is ONE of the reasons.... but it's a big one.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
WHY.. well one BIG reason is that American Companies provide healthcare to their workers.. and it could be approx 10,000K extra a year for 1 single person and almost double that for an employee with a family.. for one. It raises the cost of products that we make..etc. and makes us uncompetitive.

That is true, and that expense is also the fastest growing expense for US companies. That, along with sky high corporate taxes are crippling US companies. They need to lower corporate tax and lift the burden of providing health care off the employer's shouders.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,020,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That is true, and that expense is also the fastest growing expense for US companies. That, along with sky high corporate taxes are crippling US companies. They need to lower corporate tax and lift the burden of providing health care off the employer's shouders.

Maybe if executive compensations weren't so insanely and obscene they may be more competitive.

Please.. corp CEO salaries are absolutely RIDICULOUS.. No WONDER their operating costs are high (in addition to the healtchare issue I mentioned).. There is a HUGE.. very wide gap between workers salaries and the CEO's salaries... it's really... well obscene what execs get paid. Taxes aren't so much of their problem as overcompensation of their execs are..they award themselves so much ..and then add a bonus at the end of the year

Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,819,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

Maybe they don't give healthcare to their workers, maybe that's another reason we should keep the jobs here.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dont bail them out, nail them out if they export our jobs.
I think this is actually the correct approach, these days especially. Penalize companies who export jobs, don't reward them.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
yes indeed. cheap labor is not cheap.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:18 PM

839 posts, read 983,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Im sorry I thought the American was the most productive worker on the planet. I dont know where these clowns get the idea theres a work ethic problem in this country. Theres a decent job crisis thats for sure but no one out produces the American worker

Nobody

America is also THE market. You think the Chinese, Japenese, freakin Bangledesh and other countries are putting in 12 hour days to ship there wares to France or Brazil. Funk no, Americans still have more disposable income and buying power than any other consumer on the planet. We just need a President that has economic solutions besides spending more borrowed money.

You know, asserting something doesn't make it true. I am always amused when I hear people say things like "Im sorry I thought the American was the most productive worker on the planet" and "You think the Chinese, Japenese, freakin Bangledesh and other countries are putting in 12 hour days to ship there wares to France or Brazil. Funk no, Americans still have more disposable income and buying power than any other consumer on the planet" yet they have absolutely no data to back up their assertions and the only reason they believe it is because they heard it from someone else (who also didn't have any data) and because they are overly nationalistic. I'm curious as to how you concluded that the average American worker is the 'most productive'? How do you measure productivity? Certainly, Americans are among the most productive but without statistical data I'm not convinced we're the most productive. Several countries are experiencing more rapid economic growth and gains in productivity, that's for sure.

As to your comment about "no other countries putting in 12 hours a day to ship wares abroad" - that's absurd. First of all, the average worker in the US works for 7.5 hours (the other half hour is for meals!) and many workers, particularly white collar workers, actually don't spend all that time being productive. Compare this to some developing countries where the average work day is closer to 10 hours. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the Japanese put in the most hours of work, on average (I wouldn't be surprised if statistics show that the Japanese are also the most productive, though I am not going to hunt down the data right now).

Further damage is rendered to your thesis by the fact that the USA has a net trade deficit; we import quite a bit more than we export.

You also say that "Americans still have more disposable income and buying power than any other consumer on the planet" which is false, too. Measured by gdp per capita, Luxembourg actually beats us. Japan, France, Germany, Singapore, the UK, the Netherlands, Australia... they are all comparable to us in terms of disposable income as well. In fact, many of them likely beat us in disposable income since most of them have universal healthcare and lower GINI coefficient scores (a measure of a state's income inequality).

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM

839 posts, read 983,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I think this is actually the correct approach, these days especially. Penalize companies who export jobs, don't reward them.
Protectionism is dangerous and has never worked; not only would it cause the price of consumer goods to increase it would also run us afoul of WTO regulations and therefore lead to our trading partners implementing policies that keep them from importing our own goods, starting a trade war. I agree that we shouldn't provide any incentives to companies that outsource, but directly penalizing them would be equally disastrous. Instead, we should incentivize keeping jobs in the US by rewarding companies that don't outsource. A very subtle distinction, but one that makes all the difference in this era of free trade (keep in mind that it is the US that is primarily responsible for how important free trade is globally!).

Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Protectionism is dangerous and has never worked; not only would it cause the price of consumer goods to increase it would also run us afoul of WTO regulations and therefore lead to our trading partners implementing policies that keep them from importing our own goods, starting a trade war. I agree that we shouldn't provide any incentives to companies that outsource, but directly penalizing them would be equally disastrous. Instead, we should incentivize keeping jobs in the US by rewarding companies that don't outsource. A very subtle distinction, but one that makes all the difference in this era of free trade (keep in mind that it is the US that is primarily responsible for how important free trade is globally!).
'Protectionism' is enforcing large tariffs or denying entry of product into your country. The ousourcing jobs of American jobs is not in the same category. If an American corporation feels that a foreign worker is better than an American worker, then they can pay a premium to hire that worker, not get a discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies