Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is very true. I deal with this every day, and our company is throwing millions of dollars out the window because they won't admit that oursourcing was a mistake. They still think it will pay off one day. Every enhancement request takes months to complete instead of days or weeks. And when it is done, there are errors due to miscommunications and misunderstandings.

We use AS/400s, as opposed to mainframe, but an AS/400 as be as big as a mainframe.
I prefer IBM mainframes to the midsized AS400, but the Cobol code is the same, just a little different operating system. Either one beats the pants off of the client-server dogs, that end up under-performing and costing more in maintenance than either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
A few thousand temporary construction jobs and a few handouts will not fix the job problem. Maybe the crash will be postponed for a year, but we can't do a trillion dollar 'stimulus' every year. If we want to re-establish ourselves as world leaders in the economic sense, we need for the permanent good paying jobs to return, otherwise we will be reduced immensely. The financial sector was propping up the economy, providing trillions in funny money, that people spent willy-nilly, providing work millions of jobs. Now it's all gone, and the 'real' jobs like tech and manufacturing are not being done by Americans. We will soon be reduced to a third world country.
Well said! I think the unions are causing some of our problems. For example, I have heard that a GM employee makes 70 dollars an hour. Do they really need that much to make to a decent living? No. Even 40 dollars an hour would save the company money. This is one reason so many jobs are exporting. The unions should campaign for a decent wage and not so much 70 dollars an hour. I am sure many people out there would be happy just to have a job that paid 20 dollars an hour.

One poster stated that education is to blame. It is not the fault of the teachers or administrators that our schools are suffering. I am a teacher and I have dealt with students with severe behavior problems, parents who don't care, and students who say they want to kill their classmates. It is not the teachers fault that a student has severe behavior problems. Many of the parents of these students should have never had children in the first place. The real reason our schools are suffering and producing fewer productive workers is because or our society's moral decline. We are also placing less importance on family values and raising our kids in a traditional family. As long as dad walks out on his responsibility and mom spends all night partying then we will continue to produce less productive workers.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
the elite do not care about america only themselves, and profits are their only ambition.
outsourcing does them good,

bush also encouraged companies to open up shop abroad

Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
i got a DELL and i deal with it everytime i call tech spport. cant understand their english for nothing.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Well said! I think the unions are causing some of our problems. For example, I have heard that a GM employee makes 70 dollars an hour. Do they really need that much to make to a decent living? No. Even 40 dollars an hour would save the company money. This is one reason so many jobs are exporting. The unions should campaign for a decent wage and not so much 70 dollars an hour. I am sure many people out there would be happy just to have a job that paid 20 dollars an hour.

One poster stated that education is to blame. It is not the fault of the teachers or administrators that our schools are suffering. I am a teacher and I have dealt with students with severe behavior problems, parents who don't care, and students who say they want to kill their classmates. It is not the teachers fault that a student has severe behavior problems. Many of the parents of these students should have never had children in the first place. The real reason our schools are suffering and producing fewer productive workers is because or our society's moral decline. We are also placing less importance on family values and raising our kids in a traditional family. As long as dad walks out on his responsibility and mom spends all night partying then we will continue to produce less productive workers.
It's true that there is social/moral decline - it seems like the people who should NOT be having kids, are the ones having them, and vice versa.

With regard to the Unions, they are only part of the problem, the other being the vastly over-compensated executive class. For example, the Postmaster General makes over $800k a year, for doing what? - because it was felt that his level of compensation should reflect the private sector, and all the while the Post Office is saying they need to reduce hours of service because they are losing money.

For a fraction of the 750 billion spent to create a year's worth of jobs, Obama could have put more stringent restrictions on off-shoring, and re-establshed manufacturing facilities, which are laying dormant, creating hundreds of thousands of good paying PERMANENT jobs in America. We need a permanent 'fix' - which is synonomous with 'permanent jobs' - anything else is doomed to failure.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
dont bail them out, nail them out if they export our jobs.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
One poster stated that education is to blame. It is not the fault of the teachers or administrators that our schools are suffering. I am a teacher and I have dealt with students with severe behavior problems, parents who don't care, and students who say they want to kill their classmates. It is not the teachers fault that a student has severe behavior problems. Many of the parents of these students should have never had children in the first place. The real reason our schools are suffering and producing fewer productive workers is because or our society's moral decline.
Serious question because some parents are fed up with this, too - where does that leave the good students who have caring involved parents? How do you suggest those students get an appropriate, non-dumbed down education when so much of your time is taken by the students with behavior problems, irresponsible parents, etc.?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 AM

114 posts, read 180,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The Mexicans generally seem to be hard working individuals, and they tend to do manual labor jobs for less than Americans are willing to. However the hospitals can't pay for example a Filipino nurse a lower wage than an American nurse at the same hospital without breaking some sort of law.
The same applies for the Indian information technology workers, except that they can get around it sometimes by going thru 'offshore' who are in contact with 'onshore' Indian workers. The American manufacturing industries need some sort of help to get started again, unless we want our endless debt to be held by the Chinese.
No clue what law that might be, but in 1999 i used to work in west texas as a registered nurse; not enough nurses out there, so the manager at one of the hospitals, had yearly trips to the philipines to recruit nurses. She personally told me that the ongoing hourly rate was a lot less than their american counterparts, because as part of the offer, they would tell the nurses they could get their green card with all legal fees paid.
I became friends with these filipino nurses and their hourly salary rage went from 12-14/hour. Similarly, an american nurse would be paid 18 hour. Thus, you hear there is a shortage of nurses, and by the basic supply and demand theory, you would imagine nurses salaries would be high. But that's not the case. I don't keep up with the hourly salaries, but couple of years ago, friend graduated from nursing school and her start out new grad salary was quoted as 22. I graduated in 1997 and back then at a trauma hospital my base salary was at 21/hour. So 10 years later and the salaries are almost still the same, but i suppose mileage may very on city....however, your comment about hospitals not paying lower wages because of breaking some law---well, from personal experience i can tell you it does not reflect reality.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
You want jobs to come back to the US? Support the FairTax!!! Corporate and International investment within the US would take off, creating employment and wealth for all Americans.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton74 View Post
No clue what law that might be, but in 1999 i used to work in west texas as a registered nurse; not enough nurses out there, so the manager at one of the hospitals, had yearly trips to the philipines to recruit nurses. She personally told me that the ongoing hourly rate was a lot less than their american counterparts, because as part of the offer, they would tell the nurses they could get their green card with all legal fees paid.
I became friends with these filipino nurses and their hourly salary rage went from 12-14/hour. Similarly, an american nurse would be paid 18 hour. Thus, you hear there is a shortage of nurses, and by the basic supply and demand theory, you would imagine nurses salaries would be high. But that's not the case. I don't keep up with the hourly salaries, but couple of years ago, friend graduated from nursing school and her start out new grad salary was quoted as 22. I graduated in 1997 and back then at a trauma hospital my base salary was at 21/hour. So 10 years later and the salaries are almost still the same, but i suppose mileage may very on city....however, your comment about hospitals not paying lower wages because of breaking some law---well, from personal experience i can tell you it does not reflect reality.
I keep hearing about how nursing jobs are high paying and in big demand, I don't know all the facts, but 'foreign' employees that get a green card, and become 'permanent' employees rather than 'contractors' on a work visa, demand and receive equal pay to their American counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies