Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 PM

7 posts, read 13,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Why do people think its so bad?

I for one think its kinda tacky to have a big one on the back of yer car. But I think for museums and stuff its fine.
It's a really cool looking flag, just the subject of too much stereotyping. I don't know if anyone mentioned this but the 'traditional' confederate flag with the crossed stars is actually the Confederate Navy flag. The true CSA flag is not as widely recognized.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:17 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterex View Post
It's a really cool looking flag, just the subject of too much stereotyping. I don't know if anyone mentioned this but the 'traditional' confederate flag with the crossed stars is actually the Confederate Navy flag. The true CSA flag is not as widely recognized.
Been mentioned a number of times. The fact is that it was the Navy flag and then also the battle flag.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is a difference a perspective between the winners and the losers of any war. Winners celebrate their victory, they tell and re-tell their version of events, each time their part in those events becoming a little rosier, a little more "white-knightish". Losers don't celebrate the victory, they dwell on the mistakes made, the what-may-have-beens. They tell and re-tell their versions to a dwindling audience. For them, the war isn't over, it's shifted to a battle over the "truth" of the events of the War. The Civil War isn't happening on battlefields today with muskets and rifles and swords and rocks, but it's not "over", either. It's being fought in forums like this, where people argue over the causes of the war, and whether Lincoln was a great man or a scoundrel, it's fought in discussions over the institution of slavery, and what the average Southerner thought about slavery, and it's being fought over the "facts" of the history of Reconstruction, and the "facts" of the debilitating poverty the South experiences for a hundred years after the Civil War, when the South before the Civil War had a strong and growing economy. It's being fought over the meaning of the Confederate flag, and whether some Americans should just give up on what they consider to be their cultural heritage to other Americans who are offended by a part of that cultural heritage. For the people who have lost, wars are never over, not as long as they are remembered, not as long as the fallen are honored, not as long as some of the issues are still relevant.

And nothing you enjoy in the way of rights and opportunities is due to the Confederacy. You're an American, no matter how much you want to identify yourself otherwise.

Your resentment towards your country is misplaced.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,202,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Swastika is actually a Hindu ("Aryan") symbol.
The swastika is also revered by many American Indians.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The swastika is also revered by many American Indians.
May be, but "swastika" itself is a Sanskrit word and the connection is with Hinduism for many reasons.
- "Aryan" is a term found in Hinduism.
- It is said that Hitler carried with him Bhagvad Gita, a part of Hindu (religious) epic. I remember a mention of this in a History Channel documentary on Hitler.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And nothing you enjoy in the way of rights and opportunities is due to the Confederacy. You're an American, no matter how much you want to identify yourself otherwise.

Your resentment towards your country is misplaced.
I don't have any resentment toward my country. I am quite proud to be an American. I am quite proud to defend points of view that I don't agree with in the name of free speech. I am quite proud to be open enough to step back and evaluate symbols from multiple perspectives rather than selectively choose only one perspective and then slap labels on every person who uses that symbol with my one narrow perspective. I try to understand where other people are coming from, instead of labeling someone as unpatriotic because they don't agree with me.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
I didn't realize this thread had been revived...but since it has...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I know this to be a fact because several of us here in Columbia sent the SCV a letter before the Nazi rally in S.C. on April 21, 2007 on the State House grounds requesting that they speak oput in opposition to the rally. I have posted pictures on this board from that rally and a link to the nazi presidential candidate, John Taylor Bowles, speaking at the rally and specifically singling out the Confederate Flag flying in front of the State House for comment.
I am not sure about the incident in South Carolina. However, as a proud member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans for going on 25 years, I do know that each year in convention, our organization re-affirms a resolution adopted back in 1992 (I believe it was). To wit, condemning "in the strongest terms" the use of the Confederate Battle Flag by any group or individual for the purpose of espousing hate or political extremism.

Quote:
As I said, I had a relative who fought in the Civil War, Henry Williamson Dixon. He is buried within two miles of where I sit. From what I know of him and his reasons for joining the Confederacy and his actions and attitudes in later life, I have every reason to believe that he would be appalled at the use of the Confederate Flag today and what it has come to represent, and he would be ashamed of its being flown to offend people black or white.
There are many of us Southerners who are appalled by the opted use of the proud Confederate Battle Flag by a small minority of hate groups. However, you seem to imply that displaying it is synonymous with intentionally trying to offend black people. Where do you come by this connection/conclusion?

And by the way, the quickest way I know for that symbol of Southern heritage to become the property of hate groups is to surrender it to them by default. I will not do that. In the same way I will not give up the United States Flag and the Christian Cross to them (both of which these grouips also use).

Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
And by the way, the quickest way I know for that symbol of Southern heritage to become the property of hate groups is to surrender it to them by default. I will not do that. In the same way I will not give up the United States Flag and the Christian Cross to them (both of which these grouips also use).
An excellent point, and one that I had not until now considered.

Rep to you, Texas.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You mean, besides it being a symbol of everything America isn't?

Treason
Racism
Separatism
The United States (or "these" united states, as originally known) was not formed in rebellion and seperatism? You are merely "arguing from result." If the colonials had lost what we now call the American Revolution, we would be reading history books stating how jolly good it was that King George III put down a bunch of "rebels" who had the temerity to dump perfectly good tea into the Boston Harbor.

Anyway, the "treason" thing has been thoroughly refuted, and not the least by northern officials themselves. They frankly admitted that a charge of treason would not stand up in court if CSA President Jefferson Davis was brought up on such charges. This was Chief Justice Salmon Chase to Secretary of War Edwin Stanton.

Racism? What do you mean by that? By todays standards almost anyone -- North or South -- would be considered a hopeless racist.

Quote:
No one alive today had any contact with the Confederacy. No one alive today enjoys any rights or priveleges as a result of the Confederacy's actions in its brief, hateful existence. Those who loudly declare that the Confederacy is somehow their heritage are oftentimes saying out of the other side of their mouths that they're "patriots."
No one alive today in Texas has any living contact with their ancestors who fought in the Texas Revolution. Should we tear down the Alamo?

Quote:
Time for the hardcore hold-outs to rejoin the rest of the country. The Civil War ended before your great grandpas were born.
What kind of sense does this make? This is just drawing conclusions based upon your own hostile outlook as concerns the South. A baseless little epigram with nothing to support it.

Southerners (who have always been disproportionately represented in our nation's military) have long since "rejoined" the rest of the country. We are the most traditionally patriotic region of the United States. And are proud to be so.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Southerners (who have always been disproportionately represented in our nation's military) have long since "rejoined" the rest of the country. We are the most traditionally patriotic region of the United States. And are proud to be so.
And your continued insistence on alliegeance to a symbol of treason demonstrates that patriotism clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies