Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,352,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
If this doesn't explain the poll, then nothing does. The libs put all of their faith in politics and politicians. Scary stuff.
For your information, I am NOT a "lib" and it's a heck of a lot scarier to see that people put their faith in imaginary friends and ancient superstitions instead of real people.

And I idolize Neil DeGrasse Tyson for his intellect and his ability to speak about such complicated things like String Theory in a way that can get regular people interested in advanced physics. I RESPECT Barack Obama because he was able to overcome hatred and prejudice and still be able to prove that the "American Dream" is alive and well, but I do not idolize him.

But I'd rather have my child tell me he wants to be like Obama and study hard, go to a top school, work for his community and become the most accomplished member of his generation than for him to tell me that he's going to ignore science and rational thought and follow some 2000 year old book blindly as his "role model".

The real heroes are the unsung people who volunteer their time to help kids out, or who turn down big money and take jobs that help the poor...not publicity grabbing pilots or mythical "people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think it's scary to put your faith in something that's completely invisible, irrational, and unaccountable - like religion or "God".

Agreed. At least the people who chose Obama put someone who actually existed/exists.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,656,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
remember, he's the president who led us into our massive crisis
I think you better go back and check your facts. He is the President who tried to make sure this crisis didn't happen. The Democrats, their corruption in Fannie Mae which was a far worse scandal than Enron ever was, their pushing for loose lending laws are what created this financial nightmare for us. It is a fairly logical and easily traceable time line.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
He is the President who tried to make sure this crisis didn't happen.
Then why did he sign the bill into law?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Its really scray when people put tehir faith in someone they don't know and most never heard of before he ran. The Jim Jones syndrome all over again.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its really scray when people put tehir faith in someone they don't know and most never heard of before he ran.
How many people "know" their heroes?
Quote:
The Jim Jones syndrome all over again.
LOL! This is a joke...right?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I think you better go back and check your facts. He is the President who tried to make sure this crisis didn't happen. The Democrats, their corruption in Fannie Mae which was a far worse scandal than Enron ever was, their pushing for loose lending laws are what created this financial nightmare for us. It is a fairly logical and easily traceable time line.
Sorry, but you're truly a lost cause if you actually think Bush did anything to combat this crisis. CitiGroup, Sallie Mae, Commodities and the Reits started to collapse in 2007, giving Bush plenty of time to react. He didn't. He also wasted more money in Iraq than we'd need now to shore up our economy. If you actually believe that Bush was anything but the worst economic disaster of a president in American history, you're seriously delusional. WOW.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its really scray when people put tehir faith in someone they don't know and most never heard of before he ran. The Jim Jones syndrome all over again.
Only uneducated boobs hadn't heard of Obama before he ran. He delivered the speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention and was already being touted as a rising star back then.

Who heard of Clinton before he was running for pres?
Bush Jr. wasn't known as anything other than the VPs oafish son until the 90s.
Reagan was an actor.

And how is putting your faith in someone you've seen give hundreds of interviews scarier than someone who probably didn't exist and who you've never seen on TV or in a photograph and you never will?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,769,344 times
He will never be able to carry the weight of Jesus Christ, especially for over 2,000 years. After about 20 years, he'll be nothing more than a very, very dim thought.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
He will never be able to carry the weight of Jesus Christ, especially for over 2,000 years. After about 20 years, he'll be nothing more than a very, very dim thought.
Yeah, just like all those other presidents like Washington, Jackson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton. Nobody talks about any of those guys anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies