Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
For your information, I am NOT a "lib" and it's a heck of a lot scarier to see that people put their faith in imaginary friends and ancient superstitions instead of real people.

And I idolize Neil DeGrasse Tyson for his intellect and his ability to speak about such complicated things like String Theory in a way that can get regular people interested in advanced physics. I RESPECT Barack Obama because he was able to overcome hatred and prejudice and still be able to prove that the "American Dream" is alive and well, but I do not idolize him.

But I'd rather have my child tell me he wants to be like Obama and study hard, go to a top school, work for his community and become the most accomplished member of his generation than for him to tell me that he's going to ignore science and rational thought and follow some 2000 year old book blindly as his "role model".

The real heroes are the unsung people who volunteer their time to help kids out, or who turn down big money and take jobs that help the poor...not publicity grabbing pilots or mythical "people".
Right. You're not a lib so you named yourself "leftyDan." Heh.

Barack Obama is a political package -- a carefully engineered candidate who lacked essential experience and qualifications but could give a good speech. Your "hero," sir, is a media creation, used by a political machine to assume power. Nothing more.

And you compare THAT emptiness to a man who lived and inspired and gave everything He had -- including His life -- so that others would know that they are loved? Please.

Obama loves himself, first and foremost. If he loved this country, he would have refused being "handled" and "manufactured" into a political candidate. He would have done the WORK to make sure he was qualified before he actually ran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Well, we know Obama exists.
There's also the fact that Jesus wasn't American, if he even existed.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, we know Obama exists.
There's also the fact that Jesus wasn't American, if he even existed.
Jesus would have looked more like Saddam Hussein than George Bush, anyway.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Right. You're not a lib so you named yourself "leftyDan." Heh.

Barack Obama is a political package -- a carefully engineered candidate who lacked essential experience and qualifications but could give a good speech. Your "hero," sir, is a media creation, used by a political machine to assume power. Nothing more.

And you compare THAT emptiness to a man who lived and inspired and gave everything He had -- including His life -- so that others would know that they are loved? Please.

Obama loves himself, first and foremost. If he loved this country, he would have refused being "handled" and "manufactured" into a political candidate. He would have done the WORK to make sure he was qualified before he actually ran.
All politicians are media creations today. Sad, but true. Indeed, I supported McCain before the Republican Party took control of his campaign. If he was allowed to run as John McCain, rather than the Republican Party, I would have voted for him. So, it works both ways.

I don't need Jesus to know that I'm loved, but thank you anyway.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Obama beats out Jesus as America's hero

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Americans named President Obama as their No. 1 hero, followed by Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King, in a new Harris poll.

Others in the top 10, in descending order, were Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Abraham Lincoln, John McCain, John F. Kennedy, Chesley Sullenberger and Mother Teresa.

Obama beats out Jesus as America's hero :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: 44: Barack Obama (http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1440284,w-obama-jesus-christ-hero-harris-poll021909.article - broken link)

Poll: Obama More Popular Than Jesus, Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/21/poll-obama-popular-jesus-gandhi-king/ - broken link)

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_02_19.pdf (broken link)
Anyone who names Obama (or any politician) as their hero has a pretty sad life.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 PM

I have a pretty happy life:
I live in foreign countries, make enough money to have whatever I want, travel throughout the world, have a lot of friends.

I have a lot of respect for Obama; yeah, he's one of my heroes.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
In general, I agree, but Obama specifically, having picked himself up from middle-America to become president, does qualify as a hero, especially to blacks and other minorities.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post

Hardly any of today's politicians at least.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,972 times
The real question is: Why?

There are literally hundreds of thousands of people who are alive today who are vastly more accomplished than Obama was before he was elected.

Obama is our president simply because of the times in which we live.
It was the perfect storm of an abhorrence of the previous presidency and an unhinged, irrational, and desperate need of a large percentage of the population to expunge their collective guilt of racism in this nation.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM

Who are you to judge who people select as their heroes?

Your rationale is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies