Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times

Advertisements

More people die and more violence is created by prohibition than legalized drugs would ever do.Plus public awareness is much more now about the dangers of drugs then in the past.I doubt useage would increase even if you could score MJ,Heroin or Coca legally.

And many caught into addiction are branded forever criminals stopping them from recovering and being able to get a decent job which further makes them stay within the underground and learn to be a real criminal in prison.How many jobs reject people because of a background search of past drug offenses,even though they might be totally recovered and as honest as can be?

And look what the attorney general under Obama's team has now said,he wants to ban guns from everyday American's to fight drug violence.Like that will stop it,Hypocrites.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
We sent Astronauts to the moon.

We invented Electricity.

Henry Ford built the first Patented Automobile.

We are the last Super power.

Why can't we stop drugs from entering our land?

Do you believe it can be stopped or do you believe it should be legal?

A few years ago I started to rethink my opinion on this. I still believe that taking illicit and unprescribed drugs is a terrible waste of your life....but, if you're bound and determined to mess up your life and/or so misserable with your reality that you feel the overpowering need to change your realty without actually changing your circumstances, it's obviously proving impossible to stop you.

When I look at how many societial ill's we've created by making all unprescribed drugs illegal maybe we should rethink this. Look at the number of property crimes committed for druggies to get money to buy highpriced drugs that would be dirt cheap if they weren't illegal. If drugs weren't illegal prices would plunge to probably less than 5% of what they are now. You could probably stay high all day for 5 bucks and reduce your need to commit crimes to raise the hundreds of dollars a day it now costs.

The boarder control could concentrate on catching terrorists rather than wasting much of their time looking for marijuana and cocaine by having to virtually disassemble cars looking for bags of drugs.

Our prisons are half full of those who've committed drug offenses. Seems like a waste to lock someone up for a nonviolent offense like that when we have bigger fish to fry like catching murderers and rapists etc...who really need to be locked up to protect the rest of us.

Gangs...what drives gangs ? Well right now I would guess much of it is the drug trade. Again, if drugs were legal that would take away a huge amount of their profit motive and the lure of young people to join gangs for profit potential.

Anyway, I don't have all the answers...but I sure can see that what we're doing is NOT working very well so we'd best be thinking out of the box to see if we can make things better.

Last edited by jasper1372; 03-07-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,489,771 times
I dont think every single drug should be legal. There is some REALLY nasty sh*t out there that really has no business being consumed by anyone because its basically poison (heroin, meth, etc).

But soft drugs like cannabis should most def be legalized & taxed. Its stupid that in 2009 we still haven't done this. Especially since cannabis is SOO much less harmful than alcohol & cigs.

The whole thing's retarded. No one's ever died from it, it doesnt kill a single brain cell, its physically non-addictive, etc. And not to mention, its a freakin' plant! So as far as these things go, its pretty darn safe. Hell, it even has medical uses.

I think the US just needs to get over it, swallow their pride, admit the lies thats been told from administrations years ago & just start producing it already. It'll put a lot of drug dealers out of business, crime will go down, all while you regulate the drug & make it harder for minors to get rather than them just going down to the street corner to a shady dealer who is probably selling other way harder drugs as well. Which BTW is where the "gateway drug" stigma comes in.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:40 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
Drugs should be legal, IMO. Not only will it give some much needed help for the economy, but the illegal drug trade will be eliminated.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:49 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
I believe in the legalization of pot

For everything else decriminalization for the user. If caught with any hard stuff the drugs will be simply taken away and if caught under the influence get sent to a treatment center. No jail, no prison that is just f'd up beyond belief. If you are caught with drugs you are now a felon you cannot get a job. So guess what? You continue because what else can you do. Then you become locked up for YEARS. On the other hand the drug dealer has tons of money so he gets off or gets less prison time and the smuggler gets deported no prison time.

EDIT:Oh and how horrible are those sting operations where the cops pose as drug dealers and bust the users. So wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by nitokenshi; 03-07-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Drugs can it ever be stopped?

No...the reason is two fold...to many gov't agencies and contractors are making HUGE piles of money right along with the drug dealers and they do not want it stopped in the first place...Check the budgets out for these agencies and the money given to vendors/contractors who supply them...You are crazy if you think they are going to give THAT kind of money up.

Secondly,there is always going to be a market for it from some dumbass wanting to buy....where you have a willing buyer,you'll always have somebody willing to sell.End of story.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
More people die and more violence is created by prohibition than legalized drugs would ever do.Plus public awareness is much more now about the dangers of drugs then in the past.I doubt useage would increase even if you could score MJ,Heroin or Coca legally.

And many caught into addiction are branded forever criminals stopping them from recovering and being able to get a decent job which further makes them stay within the underground and learn to be a real criminal in prison.How many jobs reject people because of a background search of past drug offenses,even though they might be totally recovered and as honest as can be?

And look what the attorney general under Obama's team has now said,he wants to ban guns from everyday American's to fight drug violence.Like that will stop it,Hypocrites.............
Blah blah blah

Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Blah blah blah
REALLY?blah blah blah ugh?Well he said it.So what's the deal?Wake up and be rid of any complete loyalist attitude to which ever political party you believe in,in some way they are all liars out to nanny people.

In this case both the Dems and Repubs are cozy with prohibition.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
REALLY?blah blah blah ugh?Well he said it.So what's the deal?Wake up and be rid of any complete loyalist attitude to which ever political party you believe in,in some way they are all liars out to nanny people.

In this case both the Dems and Repubs are cozy with prohibition.
The BLAH BLAH BLAH was for WTF does that have to do with the stopping of drugs and this thread...Has anyone taken your gun or anyone you knows guns unless you or the person you know is a criminal???Have YOU ever dealt with drug dealers and backed them off while holding them at gun point?? Is it legal in your area to do so? Just walk up to drug dealers and "take 'em down".....Shut up about it then if you don't have a clue what you are talking about or if you answered no to any of those questions.You look like a troll while doing it...That's your blah blah blah

Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
The BLAH BLAH BLAH was for WTF does that have to do with the stopping of drugs and this thread...Has anyone taken your gun or anyone you knows guns unless you or the person you know is a criminal???Have YOU ever dealt with drug dealers and backed them off while holding them at gun point?? Is it legal in your area to do so? Just walk up to drug dealers and "take 'em down".....Shut up about it then if you don't have a clue what you are talking about or if you answered no to any of those questions.You look like a troll while doing it...That's your blah blah blah
you totally are missing the point.I'll tell you what it has to do with.The war on drugs is a failure,but they won't admit to it and instead say they need even more money and laws,and even more freedom taken from American's in the name of the war on drugs,in this case the attorney general going after guns.

I wasn't even thinking about guns in the text of using them against drug dealers,I'm talking about giving the government a inch and then they trying to take a mile.They won't admit failure in their war on drugs but instead demand even more nonsense from the American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies