Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
I laugh whenever I see someone say this. Yah sure we had a "picture perfect" world in the fifties, except if you were a woman, black, gay, etc etc etc
Your words not mine. We had morals and family values. Neither of those exist today in this sue happy nothing is my fault society. Personal responsibility out the door... Go figure from a nation that embraces drug abuse. I always look for the most responsible people in the room to have their head down on the table snorting a fat one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 01:35 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Link, please? Because it's just not true and I'll be happy to email them and let them know if you can point me to the transcript.

YouTube - Illegal drugs and how they got that way - opium, heroi

I actually watched the history channel program, it was pretty good.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Americas future

Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post

I actually watched the history channel program, it was pretty good.
Thanks. Seems I have to reboot my computer to get my speakers to work (I hate when that happens). I'm going to do that now and then come back here. Any clue at what point they say that drugs were outlawed to due to blacks? I don't mind watching the whole thing but I'd like to get the specific part so I can figure out why they're saying that.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Yea I watched the show again (it's 9 years old so I couldn't find it on the history channel). I was mistaken it was cocaine they banned because of blacks. Opium was banned after the spanish-American war after we obtained the Philippines. I didn't finishing rewatching it but here...

YouTube - Illegal Drugs & How They Got That Way - crack & cocaine

YouTube - History Channel (Hooked) - Marijuana; Part 1 of 5

YouTube - History Channel (Hooked) - Marijuana; Part 2 of 5

YouTube - History Channel (Hooked) - Marijuana; Part 3 of 5

YouTube - History Channel (Hooked) - Marijuana; Part 4 of 5

YouTube - History Channel (Hooked) - Marijuana; Part 5 of 5

Old 03-07-2009, 01:55 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
I don't remember if it DOES say that, I believe it was marijuana prohibition that was being associated with blacks. I was just trying to help out with a link.
They used to say that marijuana caused insanity, flashbacks, addiction. There was quite a bit of propoganda like "Reefer Madness", (link below) some funny stuff.

YouTube - Reefer Madness (1936)
Twentieth-century cannabis prohibition first reared its head in countries where white minorities ruled black majorities: South Africa, where it's known as dagga, banned it in 1911, and Jamaica, then a British colony, outlawed ganja in 1913. They were followed by Canada, Britain and New Zealand, which added cannabis to their lists of illegal narcotics in the 1920s. Canada's pot law was enacted in 1923, several years before there were any reports of people actually smoking it there. It was largely the brainchild of Emily F. Murphy, a feminist but racist judge who wrote anti-Asian, anti-marijuana rants under the pseudonym "Janey Canuck."

In the United States, marijuana prohibition began partly as a throw-in on laws restricting opiates and cocaine to prescription-only use, and partly in Southern and Western states and cities where blacks and Mexican immigrants were smoking it. Missouri outlawed opium and hashish dens in 1889, but did not actually prohibit cannabis until 1935. Massachusetts began restricting cannabis in its 1911 pharmacy law, and three other New England states followed in the next seven years.

Debunking the Hemp Conspiracy Theory | DrugReporter | AlterNet

Old 03-07-2009, 01:55 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,578 times
Thought about this one for many years. Have adolescent children. Still, I believe that we need to Legalize drugs....Considering...

1) Any adult (18+) giving or selling hard drugs to any child under the age of 17 shall upon first conviction be sentenced to a minimum prison term of 20 years. Any second conviction shall be life in prison. No exceptions. For giving drugs to 17 year olds,... 10 years and 20 years in prison respectively.

2) Any fool that commits a crime of violence while under the influence of drugs...meth, heroin, coke, pcp, or other hard drugs, shall be sentenced to a mandatory prison term of 5 years up to a minimum of double the normal sentencing guidelines. If you are going to get high you will be held accountable for your actions... No Exceptions.

3) Anyone with a substance abuse problem shall be entitled to rehab at any time regardless of their ability to succeed with quitting.

4) Drugs should be made available at low cost from registered doctors or licensed state dispensers.

Think about it.. Take the money out of the equation and will kill off the profit mongers..Both the Drug Dealers, and the Police State.

Why do you think that it is set up the way that it works now? Prohibition is a failure of public policy.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM

61 posts, read 160,422 times
Ok its unamous that the taxes collected would benefit rehabs. and medical distributors, but would this really stop the crime at the borders and farther south in mexico? Will this reduction in demand by legalization actually stop mexican cartels, or will it bring the war to our door steps? As with any other legalization by the gov. the price will be driven by demand and illegal distribution will only find another avenue ie. underground! Will pot replace tomato plants in the backyrd garden? consider the avenues!Will crime stop?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I don't remember if it DOES say that, I believe it was marijuana prohibition that was being associated with blacks. I was just trying to help out with a link.
They used to say that marijuana caused insanity, flashbacks, addiction. There was quite a bit of propoganda like "Reefer Madness", (link below) some funny stuff.

YouTube - Reefer Madness (1936)
Twentieth-century cannabis prohibition first reared its head in countries where white minorities ruled black majorities: South Africa, where it's known as dagga, banned it in 1911, and Jamaica, then a British colony, outlawed ganja in 1913. They were followed by Canada, Britain and New Zealand, which added cannabis to their lists of illegal narcotics in the 1920s. Canada's pot law was enacted in 1923, several years before there were any reports of people actually smoking it there. It was largely the brainchild of Emily F. Murphy, a feminist but racist judge who wrote anti-Asian, anti-marijuana rants under the pseudonym "Janey Canuck."

In the United States, marijuana prohibition began partly as a throw-in on laws restricting opiates and cocaine to prescription-only use, and partly in Southern and Western states and cities where blacks and Mexican immigrants were smoking it. Missouri outlawed opium and hashish dens in 1889, but did not actually prohibit cannabis until 1935. Massachusetts began restricting cannabis in its 1911 pharmacy law, and three other New England states followed in the next seven years.

Debunking the Hemp Conspiracy Theory | DrugReporter | AlterNet
I have a copy of Reefer Madness around here somewhere. Funny stuff, really.

Marijuana use increased during prohibition and laws banning it increased after prohibition was lifted. From reading this: Marijuana is outlawed I'd say Commissioner Anslinger just needed a new "vice" to outlaw since he no longer had alcohol. Some states had passed laws against Marijuana but Anslinger was determined to convince the people that pot was a huge menace. I guess the federal law ensured that he'd still have a job.

It does seem Louisiana first outlawed marijuana in 27, although I can't find any reference to black in this report: Marijuana and Alcohol Prohibition.

I'm going to try to watch some of that video but if you know at point they talk about the race issue, I'd sure appreciate it. (A transcript would be even better.)

Old 03-07-2009, 02:43 PM

240 posts, read 352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Your words not mine. We had morals and family values. Neither of those exist today in this sue happy nothing is my fault society. Personal responsibility out the door... Go figure from a nation that embraces drug abuse. I always look for the most responsible people in the room to have their head down on the table snorting a fat one.
Sure they did, like I said, except if you were black, a woman, gay, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies