Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times

Advertisements

No, they can't. Treat it as a public health issue and not as a crime issue and the country will be a far better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 06:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
No, we need better education and FACTUAL information when it comes to drugs like what was done with tobacco to reduce the amount of users.

Heroine and Cocaine you become addicted from first hit? Well I know people and I know people who know people that tried it, didn't like it, never went back to it. So why is it that the Anti-Drug people are giving out misinformation like that?

Prohibition doesn't work education does.
While it is true that only SOME people become addicted from one hit, why take the risk that you are one of them?

Whether you become addicted after hit one, or hit twenty... you'd never become addicted if you never started.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Hmmm. With every other commercial on TV and every other page in most magazines being devoted to advertisements pushing chemicals to make us feel better, stronger, faster, happier (and yes I am aware that they are LEGAL chemicals....), I don't think a lot is going to change. I find it so odd when people start saying "but THOSE chemicals are illegal and THESE chemicals are prescribed by a doctor..no comparison!". Hello? We are raising a generation of citizens who will think nothing of manipulating their moods with whatever chemical will do the job... legal or not. Feel too bad? Take something to make you feel better. Feel too good? Take something that will make you feel less good. I'm of the opinion that many modern day drug pushers are found not on the streets and in back alleys, but in medical institutions and pharmacutical development companies.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
I say legalize and tax all drugs. I smoke pot every once in a while, I did cocaine a 10-15 times (over the course of 3 months so about 1-2 times a week nearly 2 years ago.), salvia twice, and E twice. I experimented, and actually have no desire to do the harder stuff again. I was offered coke MANY times after I quit, I just didn't feel like it. Many people are casual, weekend users or college experimenters.

I have a steady job, a college degree, and planning on taking my GMAT to get my MBA. The truth of the matter is that moderation is needed.

I will add that not everybody is like me. I know that there are some people that after one line of coke they will be addicted. With these people, instead of demonizing them for their mistake and sending them to prison, we should treat them.

The war on drugs is one that is class based. It hurts the families economically since, in a lot of communities, the primary breadwinner is the one that uses. Thus, with the primary breadwinner unable to work, we create a cycle of poverty and distress.

I think that treatment, legalization, and control are the best methods with drugs.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
While it is true that only SOME people become addicted from one hit, why take the risk that you are one of them?

Whether you become addicted after hit one, or hit twenty... you'd never become addicted if you never started.
My point is not when someone gets addicted its that the information the anti-drug people are giving out is not factual. Give out proper information and let people decide for themselves what they want to do. That would be a lot cheaper then trying to hunt them down and lock them in prison.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Hmmm. With every other commercial on TV and every other page in most magazines being devoted to advertisements pushing chemicals to make us feel better, stronger, faster, happier (and yes I am aware that they are LEGAL chemicals....), I don't think a lot is going to change. I find it so odd when people start saying "but THOSE chemicals are illegal and THESE chemicals are prescribed by a doctor..no comparison!". Hello? We are raising a generation of citizens who will think nothing of manipulating their moods with whatever chemical will do the job... legal or not. Feel too bad? Take something to make you feel better. Feel too good? Take something that will make you feel less good. I'm of the opinion that many modern day drug pushers are found not on the streets and in back alleys, but in medical institutions and pharmacutical development companies.
Oh, I agree to me there is no difference between the stuff behind the counter,over the counter and the stuff on the streets. Only difference is for what ever reason (which usually had no relation to the drug itself) it became illegal.

I do not take any kind of medication unless I absolutely have to even then I look for herbal remedies. The side effects for those prescribed meds, and over the counter stuff are down right scary.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
I do not take any kind of medication unless I absolutely have to even then I look for herbal remedies. The side effects for those prescribed meds, and over the counter stuff are down right scary.
Watch out for herbal stuff too. Actually, many times the herbal stuff is worse for you. In my neuropharmacology class, I forgot the medication names and herbs, but the efficacy (how well it works) rate was higher with the non-herbal. The herbal drug, had a higher comorbidity rate for a side effect. I wish I had my notes to tell you specifics...but the point of the lesson is that "herbal" can be catchphrase.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Watch out for herbal stuff too. Actually, many times the herbal stuff is worse for you. In my neuropharmacology class, I forgot the medication names and herbs, but the efficacy (how well it works) rate was higher with the non-herbal. The herbal drug, had a higher comorbidity rate for a side effect. I wish I had my notes to tell you specifics...but the point of the lesson is that "herbal" can be catchphrase.
Yea I know everyone in my family is in the medical field. I usually stick with at home remedies and herbal things for stuff like the common cold. Not for serious things because when it is very serious people go above and beyond loading up the herbal remedies crap not knowing what they are taking.

Last edited by nitokenshi; 03-10-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times
Quote:
My point is not when someone gets addicted its that the information the anti-drug people are giving out is not factual. Give out proper information and let people decide for themselves what they want to do. That would be a lot cheaper then trying to hunt them down and lock them in prison.
They use too many scare tactics that end up backfiring once people learn the truth.

Its like in middle school when they told us that we'll basically get AIDS if we have unprotected sex with a girl.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:21 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
The only way someone can be FULLY informed is if they get a genome test telling them whether or not they, personally, are susceptible to addiction.

Like I said, don't start.

AND quit blaming "the system" for YOUR mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies