Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times

Advertisements

We need what is it 23 million new smokers to pay for schip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The same could be said for coffee,soda and alchohol drinkers,candy and fast food eaters.....
I totally agree. Cant just pick & choose these things.

I think its terrible that healthy food is sooo expensive & harder to come by, whereas you can go down to any McDonalds & fill up for $3.

I most def agree there should be some kind of "fast food tax". Probably more than cigarettes actually because its a bigger issue. Problem is, people think its "rude" or "mean" to ridicule others for being overweight. But they have no problem telling smokers where to go.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:01 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
You do understand that they will mismanage funds and hit up the American people even more to make up for it right?
That's a great attitude to take towards it.

We already have a form of S-Chip here in NYS and it's worked incredibly well and provided for my younger brother the year my father was laid off in the 90's.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

I think its terrible that healthy food is sooo expensive & harder to come by, whereas you can go down to any McDonalds & fill up for $3.

I most def agree there should be some kind of "fast food tax". Probably more than cigarettes actually because its a bigger issue. Problem is, people think its "rude" or "mean" to ridicule others for being overweight. But they have no problem telling smokers where to go.
They're already proposing those taxes in NYS and people are flipping out over them. I think there should be a "fat tax" as well as a cigarette one.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

At some point something you enjoy will be nannied and regulated out of existance.Or just create more crime and death because of it.Or maybe some of you like the idea of being a Hitler for health.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
At some point something you enjoy will be nannied and regulated out of existance.Or just create more crime and death because of it.Or maybe some of you like the idea of being a Hitler for health.
Oh, please. If anything should be taxed, it's cigarettes. I'm sure you'll find the majority from both sides agree on that. Everyone else has to pay for the health repercussions, so might as well collect some tax revenue to pay for it.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Wow!! Why dont some of you just tell us what to do from the moment we wake up to go to sleep.

What we can and cant eat or drink

On another thing I wouldnt be happy with the taxes going up in NY either. Who is really ever happy to pay higher taxes?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's a great attitude to take towards it.

We already have a form of S-Chip here in NYS and it's worked incredibly well and provided for my younger brother the year my father was laid off in the 90's.
Well if the employment situation gets bad enough here in FL maybe some will become tobbacco runners to NY thus making NY smokers happy,making $ for Fl peeps,and running the S-chip into bankruptcy.Oh wait,they won't let that happen,they will just garnish more taxes out of your paycheck to make up for it plus the additional cost for LEO going after smugglers.Maybe they will increase taxes enough on you that you need to sell your house,drive less,cut down on food?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Nothing more than governments attempt at social engineering -

Another Nanny State tax -

Bit by Bit - we are losing our freedoms.

I see a revolution in our future -

Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times
Quote:
Well, we just cant let this stuff get outta hand either (its already FAR past that). People are only so strong, so if you plunk a fast food place everywhere they look, of course people are gonna abuse it.

I just think there needs to be better guidelines & limits on this stuff. Like costing more for this type of food, more alternatives & also only allowing a limited number of these places in a given area. People dont need a freakin McDonalds on every corner. They just don't.

People obviously dont make the best decisions on this stuff if left unregulated. Thats painfully obvious, just look around at everyone. So what would you suggest we do? Education?? Its doesnt work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies