Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:27 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Several cultures, eh? For centuries, you say? Okay, genius, fess up, tell me what cultures. As it is, I don't eat meat everyday. Oh, and are you a doctor or a dietician, telling me meat is bad for me?
Never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
the list I provide (of animals); if it were up to you, would you limit, or eliminate totally, the commercial production of those animals?
Whether the commercial production of those animals should be eliminated or reduced is not the topic of this thread. The topic of the thread is water shortages. Cattle ranching and commercial animal agribusiness use up enormous resources--including water--an activity that is causing tremendous ecological problems--and, in terms of the topic of this thread, especially in water quality. And it will get worse in the future.

If you want to discuss whether commercial cattle ranching and factory farms should be eliminated, you are perfectly free to start such a thread.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Reduction in cattle farming. We are losing an acre of forest cover per day, in the Amazon, to cattle ranching. It's causing massive ecological problems. The rainforests are the "lungs" of the planet. Destroy them, and destroy not only other species, but our own, as well. The expansion of cattle ranching in the U.S.--due to a growing and unsustainable population here--is encroaching on habitat necessary to our long-term survival. People are just going to have to start eating less meat. There is simply no way that the land, globally, can sustain cattle ranching to feed 6 billion people--and growing.
its alot more than one acre per day!!! its like 14 square miles per day one square mile is 640 acres one acre is 43560 square feet..... the amazon basin loses like 5000 square miles per year now.... in the 1970's it was like 8000 square miles per year. amazon basin is going to have a lot of water problems in the future...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
OMG....Sunshine,what are you going to do when your organic
veggie farmers can't function and grow your soy beans without complying to HR-875.

Not eat meat.....go away

Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Never mind.
Oh, no, not no "never mind." You, genius, are the one who began the "discussion" about meat, when the original post was in regard to water. Then you start blowing smoke at me about whether I should or should not eat meat, and then you get on your grandiose platform about "several cultures." This ain't no never mind, M-Fer. I want an answer from YOU, no one else.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Oh, no, not no "never mind." You, genius, are the one who began the "discussion" about meat, when the original post was in regard to water. Then you start blowing smoke at me about whether I should or should not eat meat, and then you get on your grandiose platform about "several cultures." This ain't no never mind, ****. I want an answer from YOU, no one else.
Good Luck with that.
Most likely he's searching is Thesaurus for the most obsure words in the English language to pose a response.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Again - Arizona does not have a water shortage. And, there is no drought in Arizona

Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Again - Arizona does not have a water shortage. And, there is no drought in Arizona
Technically, you are correct; however, in the northeast and southeast portions of that state, well, it's questionable. I do know that the northeast is not much more than desert, can't recall the southeast, though. US Drought Monitor

Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Agriculture generally has priority in water use over municipalities and city water systems, as far as the law is concerned. The order of legal priorities for water allocation looks something like this:

1. National security use

2. International treaties (river rights treaties and water basin treaties)

3. Domestic treaties (Indian tribes)

4. Other court-ordered allocations (reservoir refillings; interstate allocation orders, fisheries allocations)

5. Agriculture

6. Industrial (chip fabrication plants, power plants, factories, etc.)

7. Municipal (civic and residential water systems)

8. Recreational and commercial (waterparks, water features)

9. Personal (personal draws for noncommercial use)

In a shortage, there are several options - start rolling up and reducing certain categories of use, or change the order of priorities. The first four priorities are rather firmly set, so we start with #5 when we talk about re-ordering things. It's possible for water to be reallocated from agriculture to residential, but it would probably take several lawsuits and monetary compensation under the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This is BS. There is no shortage of water in the U.S. The problem is there is not adequate infrastructure to transport and store the water. There are states which have more water than they want, and would gladly sell it (especially in flood season) if they had a market for it. What the country needs is a water distribution system that makes water transportable from one end to the other. The real truth is that control of water is a cartel that makes OPEC look like boy scouts. If you truly believe there is less water now than before I have a bridge I would like to sell you. Follow the money; it will always lead you to the truth.
Yeah, and how much do you think an" infrastructure to transport and store the water" would cost?!?!?

My niece and nephew-in-law work in Vegas for the Govvernment in water shed management. They are constantly taking measurments on lake Mead and there is a REAL CONCERN about the water supply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies