Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

We probably have worse water problems here in Georgia and it rains here. We are not allowed to water outdoors at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,302 times
I think it's pretty unmistakeable that the Southwest and West are entering a period of prolonged drought.

I've read that there have been several periods of extreme drought lasting 500 years in those portions of the country in the past - that it is the normal environmental condition for that area... and that the recent wet periods have been the abberation...

I don't expect for a moment that Lake Meade will dry up...

But I do think that severe water scarcity will become the norm - and it will eventually have significant impacts on people living there - probably far greater impacts than anyone cares to think about...

I think eventually (50 years from now) it will get so severe that a migration will occur away from these areas... I think Vegas will be a shadow of it's former self in that timeframe.

We still don't have much capability to adapt to severe long-term adverse environmental trends.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Oh, no, not no "never mind." You, genius, are the one who began the "discussion" about meat, when the original post was in regard to water. Then you start blowing smoke at me about whether I should or should not eat meat, and then you get on your grandiose platform about "several cultures." This ain't no never mind, M-Fer. I want an answer from YOU, no one else.
Who do you think you are, demanding that I answer your question? There's PLENTY of evidence that eating meat every day is bad for you. And plenty more that eating meat from ruminants forced to eat a non-natural diet, pumped full of antibiotics, and infected with pesticides and other chemical agents is dangerous to eat ANY day. But I don't engage in conversation with people who insult me. If you want to know the truth--which, of course, you don't--look it up the evidence yourself, Ms. Southern Belle.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A) Arizona is part of the Southwest. We have no shortage.

B) Las Vegas will continue to grow - and will supplement its water supply from a very abundant amount of water in Northern Nevada. Also, So. Nevada will be participating in the development of pipeline from the Pacific Ocean - and he desalination project - which will also help southern California.

C) So. Cal has been through this before. It is not all "doom and gloom" as you try to portray.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Our aquifers are FULL - literally

Our reservoirs are FULL - couple are overflowing and water is having to be released to bring down the levels

We have no more storage capacity -

OBTW - I'm not saying "so" - the Arizona Department of Water Resources is saying that there is no shortage.
Global Water Shortage Looms In New Century (http://ag.arizona.edu/AZWATER/awr/dec99/Feature2.htm - broken link)

March 1, 2007--Water shortage possible (Arizona Republic) | The Water Information Program

Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
ya but the pacific ocean is salt water that needs to be desalinated and piped.... the great lakes are fresh water and could be piped direct... in china they are building a cannal from the yangtze river to beijing some 800 miles of it.... at a cost of around 50 billion dollars and somthing on the time scale of 50 years..... so if there going to build a huge pipline and desal plant from the pacific ocean to navada they better hurry up.... the clock is ticking...
If you'd look outside of your tunnel vision view of the world, China is creating other, equally dire environmental and social problems with the actions they're taking.

You choose to live in a desert, figure it out.
The environmental infrastructure can't handle the population.

Aside: please use the spell check feature, it's hard to take you seriously. BTW "do's" is not a word.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,066 times
lawl at the southwest.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yeah, and how much do you think an" infrastructure to transport and store the water" would cost?!?!?

My niece and nephew-in-law work in Vegas for the Govvernment in water shed management. They are constantly taking measurments on lake Mead and there is a REAL CONCERN about the water supply!
A lot less than what we are spending to bail out Wall St, the Auto Manufacturers and the corrupt Banking system. If you are saying the current infrastructure which was built several generations ago is inadequate, you are right. The same government entities that have been stealing the tax money and not rebuilding the rest of the countries infrastructure have been neglecting the water systems as well. If you are saying there is one drop less water on the planet that there has ever been before you are wrong. It is a closed loop system, it evaporates from the sea and land and rains back to earth. You cannot loose any of it. In San Diego, we allow millions and millions of gallons of perfectly good rain water to flow down the San Diego River, flood Mission Valley and then flow out into the ocean every year. There has never been one penny spent to capture and use any of it. We have plenty of money to spend on ball parks and pension plans that make millionaires out of city workers but no money is ever spent on the water systems. The truth is our priorities are badly skewed and while we can always find money to spend on what we want, we never seem to find money to spend on what we really need until it becomes a crises. Once it becomes a crises, then we can declare it a disaster and qualify for federal funding that can be wasted on everything except fixing the problem. You see I work in an industry that is involved in disasters and I see the way it really works, it's all about greed and corruption.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times
Quote:
Cattle have to be watered. So do crops.

What do you suggest be done?
No more 64 ounce steaks. It may help the obeisity problem.

More people garden and grow some of their own food. Lots of nice plants help get rid of CO2 and its less grass to mow, win win.

I'm curious about the possibilities of bison herds repopulating the west and that as a meat source instead of cattle farms. Perhaps cattle farming as we know it is outdated in a country of 300 million people.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
We have Bison available at our local grocery store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies