Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you'd look outside of your tunnel vision view of the world, China is creating other, equally dire environmental and social problems with the actions they're taking.

You choose to live in a desert, figure it out.
The environmental infrastructure can't handle the population.

Aside: please use the spell check feature, it's hard to take you seriously. BTW "do's" is not a word.

china is going to crumble they are poisoning there land water and air you name it they are doing it.. all over the world there is going to be major water wars in the future it's already happening.. make no misstake chinas economy is going to collaps.. and i do not have tunnel vision. and as for the other post i was referring to some other posters comments about piping water to navada nothing more!!!! i was not backing china. and i don't live in a desert i live on an island... water is the key to life and is a good subject.. i think cd should have a rule that when you [quote] someones post they should quote all of it not just one sentence that's why there is so much misunderstanding on these forums... i see that all over other threads..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I cannot believe I missed this thread. I have been watching the southwest water issues since college. The Colorado River pact based the water allocations on the fifty wettest years in the last two thousand. They also allocated the water in volume not in percentages of flow. Ever wonder why the Anasizi (sp) gave up 1,500 years ago?

About forty years ago there was a proposal for a water project that would divert water from British Columbia in Canada to the southwest and central US. It was called the North American Water and Power Alliance. NAWAPA for short. This project was designed to relieve any drought related shortages by using the otherwise "useless" water in the Canadian arctic. The project did not get beyond the conception stage but I am waiting for somebody to bring it up. It would be a great project to retire from if I were forty years younger.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have always hated Las Vegas, talk about an overrated place that attracts some of the worst people you can find anywhere. It is one of the few places in the world where white trash can afford brand new homes with swimming pools while working a service job. The place was doomed from the get go though, it is Satan's playground!
One does have to wonder if New Orleans' drowning and Las Vegas' dehydration are correlated?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
One also has to wonder what Repubocrat's hatred of Las Vegas, apparently on ethical and/or religious grounds, has to do with the possibility of a drought creating a mass exodus from the southwest.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
About forty years ago there was a proposal for a water project that would divert water from British Columbia in Canada to the southwest and central US. It was called the North American Water and Power Alliance. NAWAPA for short. This project was designed to relieve any drought related shortages by using the otherwise "useless" water in the Canadian arctic. The project did not get beyond the conception stage but I am waiting for somebody to bring it up. It would be a great project to retire from if I were forty years younger.
Having worked at the National level with National Environmental Policy Act and Endangered Species Act issues for twenty years, I can't imagine any national construction project of that scope ever having a chance of even minimal success. I've explained in innumerable meetings with environmentalists that a nation can only have a clean environment if it has a stable economy. It took nearly a career before I realized that many of the leaders of these people were simply political leftists who cared little about their nation's environment and more about a political agenda. I don't expect to see in my lifetime any additional grand-scaled constructions projects in America like we saw in the past.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I don't expect NAWAPA to ever be seriously considered let alone built. I have noted that the professional envrionmentalists were willing to take oil and coal company money if they could use it to derail a nuclear power plant. The irony is that NAWAPA would be a left winger's dream just based on the environmental investigation, design and construction costs.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I don't expect NAWAPA to ever be seriously considered let alone built. I have noted that the professional envrionmentalists were willing to take oil and coal company money if they could use it to derail a nuclear power plant. The irony is that NAWAPA would be a left winger's dream just based on the environmental investigation, design and construction costs.
Unlike the rabid political leftist whose societal position I place just above a smoldering cow pie, true environmentalists in general are simply humans who have a concern for the environment they will leave their children and their grandchildren. Many simply can't see the whole picture of how economics and environments fit together and unwittingly align themselves with the "cow pies." Much of this I blame on left-leaning liberal arts environmental educations.

I don't believe I have heard of NAWAPA although I do recall hearing of a few recommendations for bringing water to the Southwest. However my awareness of even these water proposals did not extend beyond coffee break discussions.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
california might suffer the worst drought in recorded history in 2009... the south west is drying up... unless there is a major change in the weather patterns in the future.. las vegas want's to up it's population by like another million people to 3 million it's insane...las vegas real estate prices are going to crumble in the next 10 years do to water shortages.... it's a desert!!!
I got news for you. Las Vegas real estate prices have already crumbled to 60+% less then it was about 4 years ago and water had nothing to do with it. I know because I was a victim of it.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
There is no drought. I agree with Greatday. I hear every damn day what a severe drought we have in Texas now. Yet the ground is still saturated from all the rains. I live right on one the nations largest fresh water lakes. I walk my doggies to the dam to watch the Great Blue Herons and the White Egrets feed in the shallows below the dam. Over time I am able to tell by how many spillways are open on the dam just how much water is coming down feeding into this lake from its upper reaches and how much they have to release below the dam so to maintain a constant lake level.

That being said they are dumping far more water into the San Jacinto River then I have ever seen in the past.

So there is too much water. The cities/towns/municapalities do not have the know how or ablilty to build/maintain reservoirs or other storage facilities to keep us peasant from thirst. Shame on your govt.

Droughts are just a myth told to us by the weather man. The weather man is correct about as often as your govt.....meaning never.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Well, for what it's worth, the rainfall on my retirement land in SE Arizona has nearly doubled over the last 5 years - with each of those years having more rain than the year before until finally last year rainfall was back up to the historical average.

Will that continue?
I don't know.
I just know that over the last 5 years, the rainfall in MY part of Arizona has been steadily increasing.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies